The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#224814 - 05/31/11 09:38 PM Survival Sunglasses
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I love my EagleEyes sunglasses. Just got a second pair in a different style from Amazon. A bit disappointed with the new frame quality compared to the old one, but the optics is superb on these.

A quick review.
(standard nonaffiliation disclaimers here)

Pros:
(Optics)
  • Blocks 99.9% of a harmful UV light range and some bands of blue light from the sun.
  • The density of the multi-layer film-on-plastic filters is not too high, so the glasses are effective in the twilight and indoors.
  • On the other hand, the density plus UV/blue/glare filtering is good enough to comfortably view objects directly towards the sun.
  • External coatings are water and body oils repelling, and also prevents fogging.
  • Both surfaces are scratch, corrosion, and chemicals resistant (to some extent of course).
  • Contrast enhancing layer helps to reveal details in deep shadows as well as in the over-illuminated scenes.
  • The highly efficient 99.9% linear polarization layer axis is parallel to the plane of horizon.
  • Significantly reducing reflections and glare in glass, plastic, organic material surfaces, in the water and in its vapor (fog, clouds, haze).
  • Because of the above it allows to see through the surface of the water (fishing glasses), and through many semi-transparent glass and plastic surfaces, e.g. mirror tinted car windows.
  • Darkens the sky glare especially in the direction opposite to the sun, regardless of cloudiness or time of day (so good that it may assist with navigation).
  • Dims tiring reflections from a wet, icy, or faded road surface, especially good on oily freeways.
  • Reveals internal mechanical tensions and stresses in transparent materials (e.g. tempered glass, acrylic fixtures).
  • Protects your precious eyes from impacts, twigs, insects, dry wind, rain, sand, dust, smog, smoke, water splashes, sparks, other harmful particles and fragments with varying efficiency.
  • Noticeably reduces eye's and overall body fatigue due to the relaxing effect on facial muscles.
  • Increases concentration by eliminating several sources of distraction (see above). Very good for driving/cycling/skiing.
  • Improves situational awareness due to the constant "Wow!" factor (see below).
  • Enhances color vibrancy and color contrast of many natural and artificial materials with different textures, especially natural greens and when sunlit. E.g. vegetation, flowers, furs, synthetic paints. Helps to identify plants.
  • Over the time a new sixth sense of surface/object polarization is starting to form in the brain due to the slight phase shift in the axis's of polarization between left and right lens (not proven scientifically, but plausible).

(Frame)
  • There are plenty of different frames and shapes available on the manufacturer website.
  • Mine are lightweight and flexible plastic frames, easily confirming to a face/head shape and features (see cons below).
  • Air venting openings in the frame at eyebrows and in the nosepad are nice for sweat reducing.
  • The frames I prefer are of a wrap-around type, what makes them extremely pocket unfriendly. Fortunately a convenient semi-rigid ballistic nylon case was included with the later model.

Cons:
  • Needs time to get used to the yellish tint of filters, some may not be able to accept the new acidic look of the world.
  • The tint is not dense enough to effectively hide your emotions behind the glasses (what's not necessarily bad). And though I've found a compromise in the second model, with the external indigo blue reflective finish, it's not good enough still.
  • Somewhat flimzy and cheap looking plastic frame with limited adjustments (flex temples only) in my recent "semi-frameless" model. The old, full frame Futura is much better to my taste, but it is noticeably blocking my peripheral vision.
  • May interfere with vieweing of some LCD screens (when the polarization axis of the LCD panel is vertical it turns black).
  • Addictive. The enhanced vision is full of dazzling surprizes. I call my EagleEyes glasses - the Happy Day Glasses, and often feel naked without them.

Conclusion
I believe that quality hightech sunglasses are great but underestimated survival item.

#224819 - 05/31/11 10:30 PM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: Alex]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I prefer my sunglasses with gray tint (no color distortion) and as dark as possible (if I want to diminish light, I want to significantly diminish it). Other necessary features are pretty much standard these days (UV blocking and polarized). I don't care for the wraparound style because it requires a 4 inch deep case to store them in because they don't fold anywhere near flat. However, when being worn the wraparound style provides more protection.

It's a moot point for me anyways - because people like me who wear glasses normally are very limited in the prescription sunglasses styles available. frown

#224827 - 06/01/11 12:12 AM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: Alex]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Polarized lens and not quite wrap around are my favorite these days. My vision is in a wonky place right now (bifocals are soon on order but not to intense on either end of the spectrum.) I also find that I'm getting more sensative to light as I get older. Polarized lens make a huge difference and I prefer them with an orangey tint. I find that depending on what I'm doing outside, they're often as beneficial as my prescription glasses. I can't focus to far or close but can function pretty well with them.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#224831 - 06/01/11 12:40 AM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: Alex]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I'm more old school. Wrap-arounds are bulky and, in part because of this bulk, subject to being crunched when not being worn. I like glasses that fold much more flat. Traditional aviators work pretty well for me.

#224838 - 06/01/11 01:06 AM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: Alex]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
For casual everyday wear, I have tended toward the safety sunglasses used in industry. Adequate ANSI ratings, excellent impact protection, very resistant to damage, attractive price point, and above all they make them in sizes that fit my melon.

I love and prefer the polarized 'fishing glasses' but I seem to have a talent for chewing them up.

Naturally I would choose more robust and better rated 'shades for high altitude work. No room for second best up there. My eyes are my living, after all.

Edited by dougwalkabout (06/01/11 01:08 AM)

#224842 - 06/01/11 01:40 AM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: dougwalkabout]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
I am in agreement with Doug. My best sunglasses are safety glasses from a major safety supply retailer here. IIRC, the glasses cost around $28.00.

John Lubbock

#224863 - 06/01/11 08:45 AM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: Alex]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I wear prescription lenses and I have tried both high-end magneticly attached polorized lenses and carrying a spare set of prescription glasses in a standard configuration. For driving or on the trail, both have merits and drawbacks.

I wish I could wear those cool looking wraparounds though.

#224886 - 06/01/11 01:50 PM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: Alex]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Good to know I'm not the only person who over thinks sunglasses. A friends older sister ran a high end optical store when we were teens. She taught me how to pick the right frames for glasses & sunglasses. I wore glasses. It is critical to buck conformity and cool factor for fit.

Its the same for correctives as protectives but easier to see trying on sunglasses/protectives. Place on bridge of nose as you'd normally wear them. Look down, does light glare up from the ground? Look up, can you see clear light? If so, not right for your face.

You don't win any style points on the red carpet for what really works but for eye relief and protection from elements it's what's right.

I have some polarized, HD, color filter sunglasses I really like and fit me well. $40 at a boat show. Even in AZ, I don't go mirrored or super dark. Most of my triathlon, hiking shades push the color green to the forefront for contrast. I also use yellow and red shooters driving from time to time too. At $10 for wraparounds, super cheap.

#224890 - 06/01/11 02:18 PM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: comms]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have two pair of sunglasses in my normal daily wear (it's SOCAL, I always wear sunglasses). One is a pair of Ray Ban Predators which have shown themselves to be pretty tough for everyday wear.

The second is a set of Wiley-X PT-1 with an assortment of interchangeable lenses. I got the Wiley-X for Skeet/Trap (hence all those colors) but found them very good for driving because they allow very good peripheral vision. I bought a second set which I leave gray for driving.

Both sets have polycarbonate lens material -- tough but very good from an optical point of view.

#224894 - 06/01/11 03:02 PM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: Alex]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I keep a set of ESS ICE shooting glasses in my BOB. It has interchangeable clear, yellow, and dark grey lenses. I'm adding the prescription insert in case I can't wear my contact lenses for some reason.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.