Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#225490 - 06/08/11 02:52 PM Re: 8 Year Old's PSK [Re: bacpacjac]
GoatMan Offline

Sorry...I missed it. When I scanned the list I only saw Lanyard and not Whistle. My bad.

Well done training your kids with the right skills and to be prepard!

#225491 - 06/08/11 02:54 PM Re: 8 Year Old's PSK [Re: GoatMan]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: GoatMan
Sorry...I missed it. When I scanned the list I only saw Lanyard and not Whistle. My bad.

Well done training your kids with the right skills and to be prepard!

No worries Goatman. Redundnacy is good in most things and it never hurts to double check!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#225505 - 06/08/11 06:07 PM Re: 8 Year Old's PSK [Re: bacpacjac]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Hand sanitizer, an after-bite wipe, and a poison ivy wipe (wasn't sure what else to call this ... it's a wipe to use after you are exposed to poison ivy, oak or sumac). If there's room, replace the emergency poncho with a better reusable one. We have ponchos we bought on clearance from the local college bookstore. bright orange, nylon or similar type material, packs super small, though admittedly not as small as those emergency pocket ponchos do.

#225509 - 06/08/11 07:08 PM Re: 8 Year Old's PSK [Re: Mark_F]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
Hand sanitizer, an after-bite wipe, and a poison ivy wipe (wasn't sure what else to call this ... it's a wipe to use after you are exposed to poison ivy, oak or sumac). If there's room, replace the emergency poncho with a better reusable one. We have ponchos we bought on clearance from the local college bookstore. bright orange, nylon or similar type material, packs super small, though admittedly not as small as those emergency pocket ponchos do.

Gret ideas Mark! I picked up a mini purelle for him today and am on the hunt for a better rain jacket. He's got a good emergency one in his canoe and hiking packs but I'd like one just a bit smaller for his psk. I'd forgotten about the after-bite and poison ivy wipes. Good call! There's lots of poison ivy in a lot of the spots we visit so better safe than sorry! (We were at a local park for a Pack model rocket launch this week and as the kids ran towards to bush to retrieve the first one, one of the leaders yelled "Don't go in there! There's poison ivy!")

#225511 - 06/08/11 07:19 PM Re: 8 Year Old's PSK [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
If you got the room I suggest getting the After Bite Pen. It's essentially Ammonia and a few other chemicals with an applicator tip inside a Sharpie Marker style housing.

Thanks Izzy! I think we've got a few of those around the house that he can use.

#225514 - 06/08/11 09:38 PM Re: 8 Year Old's PSK [Re: bacpacjac]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
[I want to go, too.]

#225521 - 06/08/11 11:40 PM Re: 8 Year Old's PSK [Re: bacpacjac]
mpb
Unregistered

Don't you all agree that this whole thread is over-the-top?

What does a 8 year old kid need survival gear on his belt?
Let the kid have his childhood and make up his own mind, not indoctrinate him with all the nonsense.

We took care of our children, took them outdoors; some took to it, others not.
The world will NOT come to an end anytime soon.

#225523 - 06/09/11 12:01 AM Re: 8 Year Old's PSK [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: mpb
Don't you all agree that this whole thread is over-the-top?

What does a 8 year old kid need survival gear on his belt?
Let the kid have his childhood and make up his own mind, not indoctrinate him with all the nonsense.

We took care of our children, took them outdoors; some took to it, others not.
The world will NOT come to an end anytime soon.

1. Because he's a Cub Scout and that's one of the things they learn about and do. Taking care of our kids doesn't always mean doing everything for them but letting them learn how to do safely for themselves.

2. Because he has taken to it. Because HE WANTS TO and because he's taking the lead, not being pushed. He asks questions as he's ready and we answer him, at the level he's ready for. He used to carry an entire backpack of "just in case stuff" in the bush that he created himself, then he lost interest, and now he wants to carry a survival kit when we're in the woods. He wants to learn and do. Should I perhaps tell him "No. You don't need to know that" or "No. You won't need one"?

Edited by bacpacjac (06/09/11 01:13 AM)
Edit Reason: Scout Leader and Mom are a little defensive.

#225524 - 06/09/11 12:05 AM Re: 8 Year Old's PSK [Re: bacpacjac]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
... and maybe a piece of rolling luggage to carry it all?

Just kidding ... maybe.

Will an 8 year old carry all that stuff for very long? Soon enough it will be laid down, put in the tent, set on the picnic table, left in the canoe, .... while they go out and have fun. I was an 8 year old once ... I know. :-)

I think Doug Ritter's Survival for Kids link has it dead nuts on target. Minimal. Something that they'll REALLY carry. If not in their pockets, I tend to think they'll be more likely to wear a small simple fanny pack than something bigger.

People are starting to think a bright cobalt blue trash bag is actually more visible than an orange bag ... if you've ever flown over a city with roof damage - with all the cheap blue tarps spread out - you'll agree.

For the flashlight ... definitely get something with an LED. I'd fasten it to the whistle. Its for signaling in the dark and removing some fear - not for lighting up a football field so something tiny is fine ... and check the batteries often.

For the pocket knife ... check out the Kabar Dozier folding knives. Great folders for the money.

For the fire starter I'd go with a butane lighter they have experience with and a snack bag of PJ-covered cotton balls.

#225525 - 06/09/11 12:12 AM Re: 8 Year Old's PSK [Re: KenK]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: KenK
... and maybe a piece of rolling luggage to carry it all?

Just kidding ... maybe.

Will an 8 year old carry all that stuff for very long? Soon enough it will be laid down, put in the tent, set on the picnic table, left in the canoe, .... while they go out and have fun. I was an 8 year old once ... I know. :-)

I think Doug Ritter's Survival for Kids link has it dead nuts on target. Minimal. Something that they'll REALLY carry. If not in their pockets, I tend to think they'll be more likely to wear a small simple fanny pack than something bigger.

I TOTALLY agree. He's got the lead on this one. He's made a small fanny pack kit that's very light. When the other Cubs have theirs, he'll probably want his. If not, oh well. It's not the end of the world. His leaders and parents are always prepared and we have a duty of care to be prepared.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.