The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#225437 - 06/08/11 12:49 AM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: chaosmagnet]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Hi. I have not used them, but would think they'd be similar to the glasses you may get at the eye doc. I have used the roll up type from the eye doc (for 4 day winter snowshoe trip) and they seem like a great survival sunglass.

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I'm on the fence regarding these. What's your experience been like with them?

#225444 - 06/08/11 01:35 AM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: Alex]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Respectfully, it's vitally important to *know* the protective qualities of sunglasses for work in snow or at high altitude. The wrong sunglasses in these situations could do more harm than no sunglasses at all. Ask questions, and be skeptical. Eyes do not grow back.

#225471 - 06/08/11 01:17 PM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: dougwalkabout]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Respectfully, it's vitally important to *know* the protective qualities of sunglasses for work in snow or at high altitude. The wrong sunglasses in these situations could do more harm than no sunglasses at all. Ask questions, and be skeptical. Eyes do not grow back.

The manufacturer says 100% UVA and UVB protection. Are you suggesting that these claims need to be verified somehow?

#225475 - 06/08/11 01:26 PM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: dweste
Except for the extreme glare of snow or big water, I do not like and do not wear sunglasses.

I'm just the opposite. I can't go out without them or I get a headache. Sunglasses and a hat are musts for me.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#225479 - 06/08/11 02:24 PM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: Alex]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
And they are the finishing touch to your mysterious Hollywood celebrity image.....

#225482 - 06/08/11 02:35 PM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor
And they are the finishing touch to your mysterious Hollywood celebrity image.....

LOL!!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#225497 - 06/08/11 04:57 PM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: chaosmagnet]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

The manufacturer says 100% UVA and UVB protection. Are you suggesting that these claims need to be verified somehow?

From the ANSI website (www.ansi.org):

"One safety issue that consumers do tend to be aware of is protection from ultraviolet radiation (UVA and UVB). Mr. Wood notes that the amount of UVA and UVB protection depends upon how a consumer intends to use the sunglasses, the two types of use classified as Normal Use (from home to the car to the office) or High and Prolonged Exposure (at the beach, fishing, skiing). Lenses are also classified for intended function as special, dark, general purpose or cosmetic tint. The combination of the intended function and the type of use gives a total of eight UV transmittance specifications."

#225498 - 06/08/11 05:05 PM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: dougwalkabout]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Makes sense. How can we tell? For this particular product they talk about sporting uses and the beach in particular along with the UV protection.

When I buy sunglasses I always make sure that they say that they have UV protection, but beyond that I don't know what else to do.

#225515 - 06/08/11 09:40 PM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: Alex]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I still use a pair of 20 year old Bolle Edge cycling sunglasses with a Berghaus Case.. They have proven to be quite durable over the years.

#225533 - 06/09/11 04:36 AM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: Alex]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Most times and places sunglasses are comfort items. The exceptions are mountains, deserts, snow fields, and near or on water. Lacking purpose-made sunglasses it is possible to manufacture field expedients by rigging a blind fold and poking holes or cutting a slit. You can used cardboard, plastic, thin wood, various barks, or cloth to make sunglasses that are effective enough to prevent snow-blindness and debilitating eye strain.

A variation I've messed around with is using a large bandana. I lay it out flat and roll up two of the diagonal points, cut a couple of slits and then putting it on as a blindfold. Using small slits and messing with it a bit I got a workable vision protector. I also found I could be wearing prescription glasses and put the bandanna on over them. The result was corrected vision, protection from the sun, and the cloth could be adjusted to allow ventilation, and a handy sweatband, while keeping blown sand and dust out. I tried it on dunes in Florida where the sun was blindingly bright, and the wind was making the sand a major nuisance. Most of the regular sunglasses were allowing sand in as the wind shifted.

Try it out and tell me works out for you.

If you have glasses, safety or prescription, you can make effective sunglasses by blacking part of the lenses out with cardboard, electrical or duct tape, paint, even mud. Tape is easy to work because you can run a couple of horizontal bands leaving a millimeter or two between them.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.