Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#225280 - 06/06/11 02:22 AM Re: Diesel Stove? [Re: Ironwood]
ChicagoCraig Offline

MSR's Dragonfly is also multi fuel. It will burn white gas, kerosene, unleaded auto fuel, diesel, and jet fuel. I have both the Dragonfly and the Whisperlite International - both good stoves. The DF is better for simmering and larger cookware.

#225357 - 06/06/11 10:24 PM Re: Diesel Stove? [Re: Ironwood]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Ironwood
I searched the Forums with some results to diesel suitability, ie XGK, and Whisperlite Intern'l
There are stoves that can burn diesel, but be aware that diesel is a comparatively dirty fuel. If you're going to burn diesel in most camp stoves, you're going to need to clean the stove far more frequently than you otherwise would.

With regard to the two stoves you specifically named, the XGK and the Whisperlite Internationale, the XGK is going to be able to handle a heavy fuel like diesel far better than the lighter duty Internationale. I wouldn't want to run either stove on diesel for any length of time, but with the Internationale only when I simply had no other choice.

Originally Posted By: ChicagoCraig
MSR's Dragonfly is also multi fuel. It will burn white gas, kerosene, unleaded auto fuel, diesel, and jet fuel. I have both the Dragonfly and the Whisperlite International - both good stoves. The DF is better for simmering and larger cookware.
The DF is a very stable stove, excellent for larger pots, but I would avoid diesel with it. The Dragonfly stove is the most prone to clogging of all of MSR's production liquid fueled stoves.

Be very careful when you read on a stoves' box that it can burn things like automotive gasoline, AV gas, diesel, etc. First off, manufacturers are in the business of selling stoves. Second, even if the stove can burn something like diesel, what is the impact of doing so? Most stoves will not burn non-standard fuels well and will clog more often. For me, I'd get a heavy duty valve-at-the bottle single-valved stove with a large generator like the MSR XGK. I would avoid valve-at-the-burner stoves like the Dragonfly and the Optimus Nova or small bore, medium duty stoves like the MSR Whisperlite. I want something simple, rugged, and reliable.

HJ

#225359 - 06/06/11 10:41 PM Re: Diesel Stove? [Re: Ironwood]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
The Army has a multi-fuel stove. I'm too lazy to look up the nomenclature, but we used it in Alaska. It burns straight gas, gas and diesel mixture, or straight diesel. In a pinch, it can burn wood too.

This is not a backpacking stove. It probably weighs about 25 pounds. Made to fit in a 10 man arctic or larger tent. It heated stuff up, not cooked it.

Gas worked the best, although you end up changing gas cans more frequently. Gas/diesel was pretty good, good heat, more burn time, at about a 2/1 gas to diesel ratio. Pure diesel sucked, took forever to get it going and then the heat output was poor.

No matter what you burned, clean up was a pain.

#225383 - 06/07/11 04:34 AM Re: Diesel Stove? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Addendum: For burning diesel in backpacking stoves, definitely get some alcohol and practice priming with it. You do not want to prime a stove with diesel. Diesel when used to prime makes a big, smokey mess.

HJ

#225393 - 06/07/11 12:37 PM Re: Diesel Stove? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
There are stoves that can burn diesel, but be aware that diesel is a comparatively dirty fuel. If you're going to burn diesel in most camp stoves, you're going to need to clean the stove far more frequently than you otherwise would.

I have run my optimus 00 paraffin stove on diesel. It was rather dirty and messy, didn't burn very clean and required frequent use of the cleaning needle. Which is quick and easy on the optimus 00. I wouldn't want to do it inside a tent or shelter - too smelly and messy.

The Norwegian Army (and probably other NATO nations as well) has been running the Optimus 111 on something called F-34 for years and years. F-34 is standard NATO fuel for a multitude of vehicles, aircrafts and stoves. According to Wikipedia, it is a mixture of 97% kerosene (paraffin) and 3% diesel.

I think any stove capable of burning kerosene (paraffin) should be able to burn diesel as well - but it is a messy high maintenance project.

#225413 - 06/07/11 05:20 PM Re: Diesel Stove? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

I have run my optimus 00 paraffin stove on diesel. It was rather dirty and messy, didn't burn very clean and required frequent use of the cleaning needle. Which is quick and easy on the optimus 00. I wouldn't want to do it inside a tent or shelter - too smelly and messy.

The Norwegian Army (and probably other NATO nations as well) has been running the Optimus 111 on something called F-34 for years and years. F-34 is standard NATO fuel for a multitude of vehicles, aircrafts and stoves. According to Wikipedia, it is a mixture of 97% kerosene (paraffin) and 3% diesel.

I think any stove capable of burning kerosene (paraffin) should be able to burn diesel as well - but it is a messy high maintenance project.
In the US, F-34 is commonly called JP-8. JP-8 isn't quite as good of a stove fuel as K1 kerosene (called paraffin in the UK), but it's pretty darned close. You'd have to be pretty observant to notice any difference.

JP-8 is the primary fuel for vehicles in the US Army and I believe in all of the other US armed services. As such, stoves used by the US Army have to be able to use JP-8. Some of the stoves the US Army has been using recently include the MSR Whisperlite Internationale, the MSR Dragonfly, and the Optimus Nova; there may be others. There was a move to jointly develop a capillary force vaporizer (CFV) stove with MSR, but apparently that project died. They got as far as the prototype phase and issued the stove to various field units. I wish I knew why they cancelled the project. I was very curious about it. I did pick up a copy of one of the prototypes of the stove.

HJ

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 415 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.