Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#225389 - 06/07/11 12:09 PM Delorme Introduces inReach – First 2-way Consumer
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Delorme has announced their long-awaited two-way satellite messaging device, the inReach. Unlike Delorme’s first SEND, which was a SPOT product that utilizes the Globalstar satellite system one-way messaging capability, inReach works on the Iridium system that provides full two-way communication, with obvious benefits. Get a firsat look at this new and exciting product that may change wilderness communications forever.

http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=356
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#225399 - 06/07/11 02:06 PM Re: Delorme Introduces inReach – First 2-way Consumer [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Great to hear. Maybe the SPOT company's most meaningful contribution to the market will be motivating the competition to do a better job than SPOT. And I say that as a SPOT-2 owner.

BTW the link on the ETS blog page is malformed.

#225402 - 06/07/11 02:25 PM Re: Delorme Introduces inReach – First 2-way Consumer [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Actually, the face of wilderness communications apparently is already changing forever. This is an interesting take: [url=http://http://blog.oplopanax.ca/2011/05/why-you-shouldnt-use-smart-phones-for.html][/url].

Certainly one of her main points, that the pattern of calling for assistance has changed due to cell phone usage, seems to be quite valid. I have read of several instances where confused hikers were asked to take a picture of their surroundings, thereby identifying the locality to searchers. This we could definitely not do in the old days.

Of course, cell phone coverage is not uniform and may indeed by spotty in wilderness. Well, the glass is either half empty or half full. I have been surprised at the places where my phone has worked. It will probably work even more consistently in the future. I just hope they get even better at disguising cell phone towers as trees.

As I get dragged kicking and screaming into the twenty-first century, dragging knuckles and all, I admit somewhat reluctantly that my phone is becoming part of my EDC, both in town and in the woods. After all, I go to the wilderness to seek solitude. What would Natty Bumpo or Nessmuk say?

#225403 - 06/07/11 02:35 PM Re: Delorme Introduces inReach – First 2-way Consumer [Re: Doug_Ritter]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Delorme has announced their long-awaited two-way satellite messaging device, the inReach.

Want.

#225409 - 06/07/11 04:12 PM Re: Delorme Introduces inReach – First 2-way Consumer [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I see an Android in my smartphone future...

#225411 - 06/07/11 04:45 PM Re: Delorme Introduces inReach – First 2-way Consumer [Re: Russ]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

#225412 - 06/07/11 05:13 PM Re: Delorme Introduces inReach – First 2-way Consumer [Re: falcon5000]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

The Geopro runs $700, the Nanopack $1200. They're aimed at corporate users and I suspect have a more expensive subscription cost as well.

#225441 - 06/08/11 01:18 AM Re: Delorme Introduces inReach – First 2-way Consumer [Re: hikermor]
sotto Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Actually, the face of wilderness communications apparently is already changing forever. This is an interesting take: [url=http://http://blog.oplopanax.ca/2011/05/why-you-shouldnt-use-smart-phones-for.html][/url].

Certainly one of her main points, that the pattern of calling for assistance has changed due to cell phone usage, seems to be quite valid. I have read of several instances where confused hikers were asked to take a picture of their surroundings, thereby identifying the locality to searchers. This we could definitely not do in the old days...

As I get dragged kicking and screaming into the twenty-first century, dragging knuckles and all, I admit somewhat reluctantly that my phone is becoming part of my EDC, both in town and in the woods. After all, I go to the wilderness to seek solitude. What would Natty Bumpo or Nessmuk say?

One of the single most important steps (IMHO) in making cellphones more ubiquitous is the inclusion of a decent camera. I never carry my Nikon digital camera anymore, and I shoot a lot more pictures than I ever did. If they included a decent camera in that Delorme thing, I think it wouldn't be a bad marketing move.

#225499 - 06/08/11 05:27 PM Re: Delorme Introduces inReach – First 2-way Consumer [Re: Doug_Ritter]
widget Offline
Addict

My one and only question is are the batteries standard and changable?

While I think a device with the communication features is a step forward, I still have a hard time excepting the prices of such devices. Example is the excellent McMurdough PLB, reasonable price for the device and no subscription. However a battery pack is almost as much as the original cost of the device. I'd buy one if it were not for that aspect. The cost of ownership needs to be something near to reasonable. I don't see a pack of small batteries being worth $175!!

So, if you are listening manufacturers...get the cost of ownership down!

#225500 - 06/08/11 05:35 PM Re: Delorme Introduces inReach – First 2-way Consumer [Re: widget]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: widget
My one and only question is are the batteries standard and changable?

Here's what they say in the comments section of http://blog.delorme.com/2011/06/03/delorme-inreach-two-way-satellite-communication/:

Quote:
The inReach will support AA batteries, either Lithium, Alkaline, or NiMH.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.