Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#224897 - 06/01/11 04:08 PM Re: Good games to teach scientific method? [Re: dweste]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I noticed our local technical school is offering a summer camp with a Mythbusters styled theme. This would seem to be great way to teach the scientific method in a fun way. The description for the camp reads like this:

"You may have heard the warning to keep your toothbrush far away from the toilet because nasty germs could get sprayed in the air land right smack onto your oral hygenic friend. Yuck! Is that really true? Could that really happen? Campers will put myths like this one to the test using scientific inquiry and find out just how real they are. (Err, in the meantime, why don't you move that toothbrush, just to be on the safe side?)"

Also, regarding critical thinking, I've heard good things about the The Fallacy Detective, but I have no personal experience with the product. The description says it also includes "The Fallacy Detective Game."

#224903 - 06/01/11 05:43 PM Re: Good games to teach scientific method? [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
The Fallacy Detective looks interesting, thanks.

One curiosity is the original deals with 38 fallacies, while according to the comments, a new version for Christian teaching deals with only 36.

#224905 - 06/01/11 06:15 PM Re: Good games to teach scientific method? [Re: dweste]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
As a kid I loved the game Stop Thief!. Similar to Clue, one had to use deductive reasoning to find the theif.

As for the full application of the scientific method, I can't think of any. I'll put the question to my wife, she might have come across something amoung homeschooling stuff.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#224910 - 06/01/11 07:17 PM Re: Good games to teach scientific method? [Re: dweste]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: dweste
One curiosity is the original deals with 38 fallacies, while according to the comments, a new version for Christian teaching deals with only 36.

It looks like the 36 lesson title is most likely an earlier edition of the current 38 lesson title. The comments you refer to were from 2008 and the current edition is listed as the "2009 edition" on their product page. Amazon lists the 36 lesson edition as being published in 2003.

Based on this article from the MIT Tech, it would seem that the book was written by and marketed primarily to Christians but the content is largely free of any doctrinal content (the article does mention one exception).

#224911 - 06/01/11 07:25 PM Re: Good games to teach scientific method? [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Nice post, Denis.

#224913 - 06/01/11 08:23 PM Re: Good games to teach scientific method? [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Science camp! Great idea Dennis! I've seen a few of them advertised in our area too. Since DS is gaining a real enthusiasm for science, I 'll think I'll look into it. Thanks!~

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#224924 - 06/01/11 09:33 PM Re: Good games to teach scientific method? [Re: dweste]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I skimmed threw all the comments so hopefully no one else mentioned this.

Zork Grand Inquisitor.

I Played this game at a young age and fell in love with it. I have never found another point and click puzzle game that was so entertaining and far out there at zork G.I. The Puzzles are so different then any other game I have ever played.

#224986 - 06/02/11 06:48 AM Re: Good games to teach scientific method? [Re: dweste]
juhirvon Offline

There are probably legitimate reasons to consider a variety of approaches to be scientific methods, given the differences in sciences, but I was thinking primarily of the so-called hard sciences. I belive a fair rendition of the scientific method for hard science would be:

1. Observation / evidence gathering.
2. Creating or chosing plausible hypotheses as to what has been observed and gathered.
3. Designing experiments to support or eliminate hypotheses.
4. Carrying out the experiments.
5. Evaluating the experimental results, including statistical analyses of multiple test runs, to determine which hypotheses the observations and evidence best support.

That would be asking a lot from a game, but surely someone has at least taken a shot at it.

So you'd need a game that has...

a) several possible strategies for winning/getting ahead.
b) limited random element, so the experiments are repeatable (to a degree at least).
c) logical or at least predictable outcomes from events during the game.
d) identical starting position for the experiments to be repeatable.
e) simple enough rules.
f) probably a few more points that escape me at the moment.

Anything short of 100 games of chess against same opponent, I can't think of any one game that does it all...

EDIT: Admittedly, I recognised four games from the mensa-list, so I might just be ignorant of any such game.

-jh

Edited by juhirvon (06/02/11 06:51 AM)

#225052 - 06/02/11 07:49 PM Re: Good games to teach scientific method? [Re: dweste]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Search "logic games"

#225093 - 06/03/11 04:28 AM Re: Good games to teach scientific method? [Re: juhirvon]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: juhirvon
There are probably legitimate reasons to consider a variety of approaches to be scientific methods, given the differences in sciences, but I was thinking primarily of the so-called hard sciences. I belive a fair rendition of the scientific method for hard science would be:

1. Observation / evidence gathering.
2. Creating or chosing plausible hypotheses as to what has been observed and gathered.
3. Designing experiments to support or eliminate hypotheses.
4. Carrying out the experiments.
5. Evaluating the experimental results, including statistical analyses of multiple test runs, to determine which hypotheses the observations and evidence best support.

That would be asking a lot from a game, but surely someone has at least taken a shot at it.

So you'd need a game that has...

a) several possible strategies for winning/getting ahead.
b) limited random element, so the experiments are repeatable (to a degree at least).
c) logical or at least predictable outcomes from events during the game.
d) identical starting position for the experiments to be repeatable.
e) simple enough rules.
f) probably a few more points that escape me at the moment.

Anything short of 100 games of chess against same opponent, I can't think of any one game that does it all...

EDIT: Admittedly, I recognised four games from the mensa-list, so I might just be ignorant of any such game.

-jh

Probability theory is a good place to start with learning the scientific method. You can start simple - coin tossing and predicting the outcome and then move on to more complex cases, like rolling a dice or rolling multiple dice. Then on to advanced probability - cards make a good tool for this. In all cases you can quickly develop and test a theory after some simple observations.

Of course to keep all this science interesting you may need to focus on some good games using these tools. I suggest backgammon and eventually craps as good applications of probability theory as applied to dice. Blackjack and Poker are great at putting just the right polish on your understanding of the scientific method as applied to cards though some people seem to prefer canasta or rummy. The nice thing about these particular tools and games is the wonderful opportunity for hands on learning with real world application.

- Eric

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 400 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.