The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#224935 - 06/02/11 12:08 AM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: Alex]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Alex -

Are the EagleEyes different from regular polarizing sunglasses that everyone seems to make? I'm not sure what the big advantage is. Have you compared EagleEyes with other polarizing sunglasses? If so, what is the difference?

Thanks.

Da Bing

#225103 - 06/03/11 12:13 PM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: Alex]
6pac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: N.E. Alabama
I use the glasses that the eye doctor gives you after you've had your eyes dilated. They roll up and store pretty much anywhere.

#225105 - 06/03/11 01:44 PM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: Alex]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
I used some of the roll up glasses on a snow trip and they worked great. They just look a little goofy.

#225109 - 06/03/11 02:07 PM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: Russ]
Pete Offline
Veteran

The world is getting to be a very fancy place.
There i was ... thinking that this thread was talking about how you knocked the bottoms off 2 Coke bottles, smoked them over a fire, and made some improvised sunglasses. HAHAHA !!!

The trouble with the store-bought glasses is that they are all very fragile. Made for ideal conditions and perfect handling. But they can't even be roughed up in a backpack.

Pete #2

#225111 - 06/03/11 02:14 PM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: Pete]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I've dropped mine so many times and they still aren't scratched. Polycarbonate lens material is optically very clear and at the same time very tough.

#225120 - 06/03/11 03:23 PM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: Alex]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Except for the extreme glare of snow or big water, I do not like and do not wear sunglasses.

On land the color distortion and lessened light created by sunglasses reduce my ability to see the sometimes subtle patterns and colors of nature, which might be critical in a survival situation [missing the food plants and animals, or stepping on the rattlesnake in the grass or leaves]. Sunglasses also are unwelcome when they prolong the visual adjustment time in moving through transition areas from relative dark and to relative light, and vice versa.

On big water I need to see the colors of buoys, lights, and water without the color shifts that most sunglasses create. I wear sunglasses only if the glare is extreme enough to make seeing clearly difficult, or I want to sight fish.

While I own and occasionally try shooting glasses with different color lenses, ditto with clip-ons for my blended trifocal prescription glasses, what I fall back on is clear polarized lenses with UV coating and a broad-brimmed hat.

Edited by dweste (06/03/11 03:39 PM)

#225139 - 06/03/11 05:56 PM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: Bingley]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Are the EagleEyes different from regular polarizing sunglasses that everyone seems to make? I'm not sure what the big advantage is. Have you compared EagleEyes with other polarizing sunglasses? If so, what is the difference?

Yes, I did compare them to several cheaper polarized, some average priced shooting, and a couple of expensive fishing sunglasses (don't know about other hightech glasses like Oakley's above - too expensive to just try). My writeup above is my personal experience and pure rapture, not their commercial ad.

The EagleEyes have a much stronger polarization filter - no doubt to me. That's because they have several film layers for that.

Also most of the competitors have a simple color filter layer (grey, yellow, orange, red) which just dims the image gradually. The EagleEyes seem to have an optical design with several narrow bands of the sun light filtered specifically (aka interference filter). So, the image is not dim, but vivid instead, because those bands of solar spectrum, which are usually blended with blue and almost indistinguishable to naked eyes (many green tones for example), are standing out.

I also strongly support their claim for water/oils repelling coatings. I never had a problem with salt water splashes blocking my vision while on route to a dive site, drops are running away instantly. No fogging after diving when skin and hair are wet. Oily fingerprints dissolves into small drops, which are not blurring vision much.

They are claiming a NASA technology behind their optical design. But I'm not sure they are licensing it or something. It's just precise physics that works. So, perhaps some other companies can do the same.

#225140 - 06/03/11 06:05 PM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: dweste]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
dweste. You should try the EagleEyes' clip-ons. They do not alter any colors much (red is red, blue is blue, green is green - you just need to get used to it a little), they are enhancing them. Also they are great in changing light conditions including deep shadows, twilight and indoors. I can simultaneously see what's inside the house and what's around while looking from outside and even if in the direction of the sun. The eye adaptation time with them is very short in my experience.

Also because of these glasses I noticed that we have a wild apple trees in our park, the small apples became obvious between leaves with them. Hence the "Survival Glasses" in the head of the topic.

#225218 - 06/05/11 01:01 AM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: Alex]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas

#225277 - 06/06/11 01:33 AM Re: Survival Sunglasses [Re: jshannon]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: jshannon

I'm on the fence regarding these. What's your experience been like with them?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.