Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#225192 - 06/04/11 06:12 PM Gutter-fed Emergency Water Supply
sotto Offline
Addict

Rain gutter-fed actually. Here's my set-up, making "lemonade" out of a city building code requiring any new construction/remodeling project (a garage/studio space) to incorporate a "rainwater reclamation system". cool

This is 300 gallons worth of "lemonade".

Oh, and tomatoes don't belong on sandwiches. There, I've done it. I always wanted to hijack my own thread.

#225195 - 06/04/11 06:54 PM Re: Gutter-fed Emergency Water Supply [Re: sotto]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Looks like a neat system. My only question is about freezing. I don't know where you are located, but in our area (Maryland) that white drain pipe would be sure to freeze and burst the first winter, and depending on the winter, maybe even the stored water.

I can really see it be a handy resource though.

#225196 - 06/04/11 07:05 PM Re: Gutter-fed Emergency Water Supply [Re: sotto]
sotto Offline
Addict

The lowest temperature ever recorded here was 44 degrees F.

#225207 - 06/04/11 11:25 PM Re: Gutter-fed Emergency Water Supply [Re: sotto]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Looks like a fine and functional, if not overtly beautiful system to me.

At some later date you might upgrade to a simple first-flow dump and strainer system to limit how much dust and detritus gets into the tank. It keeps the water a good bit sweeter and reduces the need for tank cleaning.

First-flow dumps can be mechanical tilt mechanism , or even a float valve but IMO the best ones are simply a small, a gallon or so per hundred square feet roof area, of dead storage that get filled before the water overflows to the main storage. When the rain stops this small tank drains by way of a small hole so it is automatically ready for the next cycle. No moving parts is good for reliability.

The strainer is ideally set up to be self-cleaning and, because the first flow depends on a small drain hole, is best placed before the first-flow unit.

Sounds complicated I know but these units can shift a rainwater collection system from being primarily landscape watering and toilet flushing, drinking if you're in dire straits, certainly useful enough to justify the system, to a supply of water you can drink and still maintain a smile.

I think its a grand idea to have every house equipped with a rainwater collection system. It is smart to conserve what we have and, if and when the municipal water fails for a few days, everyone has a reserve.

For areas where freezing is an issue the cistern/s can be placed below the freeze line and the plumbing can all be set up to drain so there is no trapped water to freeze.

#225222 - 06/05/11 02:06 AM Re: Gutter-fed Emergency Water Supply [Re: Art_in_FL]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Art, do you have any good links to those dumps? Most places I've looked seem to skip over them. I did find one good one, but lost it when my last computer died.

Sue

#225229 - 06/05/11 04:54 AM Re: Gutter-fed Emergency Water Supply [Re: sotto]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
That is a Nice system you have there,Let's hope the air traffic stays clear of your place,Jets often times,Vent the tanks when landing or on approach.

#225252 - 06/05/11 05:18 PM Re: Gutter-fed Emergency Water Supply [Re: sotto]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
I don't see a provision for overflow. I calculated that my 50 gallon rain barrel will be filled with less than 1/4 inch of rain from the single quadrant of roof that drains into it. The rest goes into a hose coming off the side.

I use my rainwater primarily for watering my house plants. Tap water and ground water is extremely hard around here, and the lime buildup will coat the pots white as well as clog the soil and poison the plants. Since in Minnesota we do have to worry about freezing, I have a second rain barrel in the basement I drain it into for house plants in the winter. I keep a submersible aquarium filter in that one to keep the water sweet.

#225263 - 06/05/11 11:21 PM Re: Gutter-fed Emergency Water Supply [Re: GoatRider]
sotto Offline
Addict

My provision for overflow is a new system that NASA developed as part of their REALSIMPL interplanetary human occupied travel ship (IHOTS) program. The theory is that as the level of the water rises in the tank, it reaches a point where it's total volume exceeds the volume of the container, and at that stage a physical gravitational principle kicks in and, via a built-in surface tension-fed mechanism, the excess fluid travels down the outside of the storage container (thus providing some built-in much needed self-cleaning action) until it strikes the soil surface where I have deposited a large quantity of fescue (grass) seeds thus turning the entire system into a generally redundant extremely expensive nutrient (GREEN) project which made it eligible for federal funding by an agency started by Al Gore called SPILL (Special Projects In Licensed Larceny). A side benefit of this system is that it self backflushes the debris screen in the top opening of the tank rendering the entire system practically maintenance-free.

Dear Lord: forgive me for this post.

#225279 - 06/06/11 02:02 AM Re: Gutter-fed Emergency Water Supply [Re: Susan]
stevenpd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By: Susan
Art, do you have any good links to those dumps? Most places I've looked seem to skip over them. I did find one good one, but lost it when my last computer died.

Sue

Are you referring to these?

Rain Harvesting

Found it at North American Rain Collection Systems

(No affiliation, etc.)

#225298 - 06/06/11 04:01 AM Re: Gutter-fed Emergency Water Supply [Re: Susan]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Susan

I reviwed a few web sites for a good first-flow device but, as you noted, a lot of the sites don't even mention them and I got distracted before I found something I thought suitable. Sorry.

I note that the pdf link Stevenpd provided features a picture of a workable version on the first page. The 'T' at the top directs the first few gallons to a dead-end. Once that initial eight feet of dead-end pipe are full any further flow goes to the tank.

Some first-flow setups use a series of reducers to keep the first dirty water stays in the tank but the setup pictured would IMO do a pretty good job because the vertical length of pipe used as a first-flow tank is narrow enough to limit mixing.

The pdf brochure is marketing something they call "first-flush" which is a valve the control draining of what I call the first-flow tank. Different language but same idea. The first few gallons off the roof gets diverted and discarded so bird droppings and dust, anything that might dissolve in rainwater, get excluded, for the most part. Larger trash, bugs, and stuff that might float out of the first-flow tank get removed by a simple mesh filter. There is a nice filter in the pdf but I've seen a piece of fiberglass window screen inserted at an angle in a pipe.

Of course, obviously, the good people at RainHarvesting.com have engineered solutions that they will sell you. The people I've been around were more shade tree mechanics and they designed and manufactured all their stuff from plumbing fittings they buy at the hardware store.

Using a simple plumbing 'T' as a first-flow diverter, and letting its filling trigger flow to the storage tank is good shade tree engineering in my book.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.