Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#225089 - 06/03/11 02:20 AM What's the Best Stove for *all* Conditions?
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
What's the best stove for *all* conditions?.

It's kind of a general post, but as you read through it, you may get an idea of what stove makes the best choice for what conditions.

Enjoy,

HJ

P.S. Sorry I haven't been around as much lately. We discovered bed bugs a few weeks ago. That's a survival story of another type. Let's just say that my camping equipment came in really handy. I hope to write up a blurb at some point as my time gets freed up. In the mean time, a word to the wise: Learn about bed bugs before you next travel. They're back, and they're bad.

#225095 - 06/03/11 09:56 AM Re: What's the Best Stove for *all* Conditions? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Jim! How could you discuss this subject and not mention the good old Trangia? I have used it for years whenever I wanted a simple, dependable, reasonably lightweight stove. I have some reservations about cold weather performance, although if it's good enough for the Swedish Army, it ought to be good enough for me.

#225104 - 06/03/11 01:39 PM Re: What's the Best Stove for *all* Conditions? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Good to hear from you HJ. Sorry to hear about your "home invasion," hope you get that worked out. Take care of you and yours and hopefully we'll hear from you soon.

About the blogpost, I was reading about your personal stoves and noticed you mentioned "capable of simmering" for one and "difficult to simmer" for a lot of the others. I assume you mean difficult to simmer as in for cooking purposes, but as I am pretty ignorant about stoves I thought you might be referring to something else. Does it mean what I think it means, or is this "stove talk" for something else?

#225110 - 06/03/11 02:14 PM Re: What's the Best Stove for *all* Conditions? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
LED Offline
Veteran

Wow Jim that sucks. Hope you get it all worked out. It would be interesting to know how you dealt with them. I've read that extreme heat and diatomaceous earth are the only things that kill them. And then there's preventive stuff like matress encasements, etc. Good luck.

#225117 - 06/03/11 02:41 PM Re: What's the Best Stove for *all* Conditions? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Thanks Jim. The MSR XGK is high on the list, but I also like the MSR Dragonfly and Whisperlite Int'l. Possibly a bit less than the XGK for robustness, but both are fairly tough and reliable multi-fuel stoves. The Dragonfly simmers quite well.

For all conditions? That's very open ended -- some limitations are needed.

#225129 - 06/03/11 05:02 PM Re: What's the Best Stove for *all* Conditions? [Re: hikermor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Jim! How could you discuss this subject and not mention the good old Trangia? I have used it for years whenever I wanted a simple, dependable, reasonably lightweight stove.
The Trangia 25 and Trangia 27 are indeed fabulous, highly reliable cooking systems. I wouldn't exactly call them light weight though, and they are bulky.

I have some reservations about cold weather performance...
Exactly. The question posed to me was "What's the Best Stove for *all* Conditions?" I personally can't feel comfortable recommending an alcohol stove for cold weather. For snow melting, alcohol takes an absurdly long time. It's not really practical. In really cold conditions alcohol is slow to vaporize. Remember, you're not burning liquid alcohol; you're burning vapor.

...although if it's good enough for the Swedish Army, it ought to be good enough for me.
Hmmm. Well, first recall the KAP Arctic stove, the "Holy Grail" of extreme conditions/extreme cold weather stoves, was developed for the Swedish military precisely because alcohol stoves were inadequate.

Second, recall that for cold weather cooking in conditions less extreme than those calling for a KAP Arctic, the Swedish military often used the Optimus 111.

Yes, the primary issue for the Swedish military was a larger-than-civilian Trangia burner with a distinctive Swedish military mess kit, but even the Swedes themselves didn't try to use them in the dead of winter, particularly in the far north.

HJ

#225132 - 06/03/11 05:23 PM Re: What's the Best Stove for *all* Conditions? [Re: Mark_F]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
Good to hear from you HJ. Sorry to hear about your "home invasion," hope you get that worked out. Take care of you and yours and hopefully we'll hear from you soon.
Thank you, Mark. They're a huge hassle. Don't know if we've beat them yet. I will definitely post something about them soon.

Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
About the blogpost, I was reading about your personal stoves and noticed you mentioned "capable of simmering" for one and "difficult to simmer" for a lot of the others. I assume you mean difficult to simmer as in for cooking purposes, but as I am pretty ignorant about stoves I thought you might be referring to something else. Does it mean what I think it means, or is this "stove talk" for something else?
lol. No secret jargon here. Simmering means simmering.

From Wikipedia: "Simmering is a food preparation technique in which foods are cooked in hot liquids kept at or just below the boiling point of water." In other words, in order to truly simmer, a stove has to be able to hold the temperature below a roiling boil. With many stoves, it's all but impossible to operate the stove without going into a full roiling boil.

In the back country, a lot of people just prepare meals that require boiling water, but to a true cook, nothing less than a stove capable of truly simmering will do.

HJ

#225170 - 06/04/11 04:48 AM Re: What's the Best Stove for *all* Conditions? [Re: Russ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Russ
For all conditions? That's very open ended -- some limitations are needed.
Precisely right. If you read my blog post, you will notice that I listed 12 different stoves. This is my somewhat subtle way of suggesting to the person who posed the question that there is no one right stove for all situations.

Originally Posted By: Russ
The MSR XGK is high on the list, but I also like the MSR Dragonfly and Whisperlite Int'l. Possibly a bit less than the XGK for robustness, but both are fairly tough and reliable multi-fuel stoves. The Dragonfly simmers quite well.
The Dragonfly is an excellent simmerer. I enjoy cooking with it very much. It's also very easy to prime because of it's easily adjustable flame. HOWEVER, the Dragonfly is a good deal "touchier" than either the XGK or the Whisperlite and requires more careful use and more frequent cleaning. Dragonflies have let me down a couple times in the backcountry over the years. Fortunately neither time was at a critical juncture. Still, it's a bit of a pain. As much as I like the Dragonfly, it is not on my list of best stoves, unless you are car camping and have a backup stove.

The Whisperlite Internationale is definitely a good stove. I actually prefer the Internationale over the regular Whisperlite if for no other reason than it's priming wick. The Internationale also has the very desireable quality of being able to burn unleaded gasoline or kerosene (with a jet change) in a pinch. HOWEVER, one should be prepared to clean the stove more frequently. Unleaded and kerosene will not burn as cleanly, particularly if you prime with kerosene. Alcohol is the preferred priming fuel in general but most especially with kerosene. On the Internationale, it's best to burn white gasoline whenever available since white gasoline will burn the cleanest and cause the fewest clogs. Unleaded and kerosene should be limited to those times when white gasoline simply isn't available.

HJ

#225176 - 06/04/11 07:51 AM Re: What's the Best Stove for *all* Conditions? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

No Esbit stove ?

#225179 - 06/04/11 01:52 PM Re: What's the Best Stove for *all* Conditions? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The "all rounder" that us dinosaurs have used for years is the Svea 123 and its clones - partly because it was all there was. But I have used in winter, down well below zero, as well as in summery Arizona desert conditions, where you barely needed a stove at all. A bit on the finicky side, but it always worked. And you had plenty of "Boy Scout firestarter" for a wood fire, if you needed it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.