The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#224296 - 05/25/11 03:12 AM Re: Fairy Tales on ETS [Re: hikermor]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I think Doug's comment, paraphrased by Blast...it may have broke my brain. smirk

#224304 - 05/25/11 04:29 AM Re: Fairy Tales on ETS [Re: hikermor]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Good Point. I did indeed try to do that and found that he is not taking PM's at this time. I don't know his situation, and, not being in his moccasins, I will not attempt to decide what his priorities ought to be. I am certainly willing to wait a bit,and am doing so. I am certainly willing to assist any effort to determine the facts of the case here.

Maybe it would help if DR knew exactly what you're waiting for? Some sort of public apology? A signed confession from Chris himself? Maybe a CSI style crime scene investigation with DNA evidence proving beyond a doubt that Chris never set foot on the island?

You've made your case, presented all the facts, and we all know the story is most likely fake. It just sounds like you're looking for justice, but from the wrong person. The guy's been gone for a couple years now and nobody's given him a second thought. Ironically, his story probably never got much attention as it has now. I just think this is better left to die a quiet death. People lie, life goes on.

#224305 - 05/25/11 04:52 AM Re: Fairy Tales on ETS [Re: ducktapeguy]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: ducktapeguy
You've made your case, presented all the facts, and we all know the story is most likely fake. It just sounds like you're looking for justice, but from the wrong person. The guy's been gone for a couple years now and nobody's given him a second thought. Ironically, his story probably never got much attention as it has now. I just think this is better left to die a quiet death.

There is much wisdom in this. BS has been called on this particular story, though the overall value of the poster's work as a moderator stands. That strikes me as a fair and reasonable settling of accounts.

Let's keep this in perspective. This forum is not the core of the foundation's work; in fact, it is for all intents and purposes irrelevant. It's more like an appendix that flares up on occasion, and has more than once been scheduled for surgical removal. Respectfully to all, I vote that we should be grateful for this community, call it a day, and move on.

#224306 - 05/25/11 04:58 AM Re: Fairy Tales on ETS [Re: hikermor]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Hikermor wrote
>How can we dis the media when we are posting fiction on ETS?

'We'? So how is everyone on the forum guilty?
I missed the bit where ETS claimed to have fact checkers, editors and reporters to back up everything everyone said. Despite your claims; this is not a media outlet and never said it was. Take this up with the person you say is lying; not the rest of us who have no responsibility for it.
qjs

#224309 - 05/25/11 08:07 AM Re: Fairy Tales on ETS [Re: ducktapeguy]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: ducktapeguy

Maybe it would help if DR knew exactly what you're waiting for? Some sort of public apology? A signed confession from Chris himself? Maybe a CSI style crime scene investigation with DNA evidence proving beyond a doubt that Chris never set foot on the island?

You've made your case, presented all the facts, and we all know the story is most likely fake. It just sounds like you're looking for justice, but from the wrong person. The guy's been gone for a couple years now and nobody's given him a second thought. Ironically, his story probably never got much attention as it has now. I just think this is better left to die a quiet death. People lie, life goes on.

I thought I was fairly clear. What should happen is the removal of Kavanaugh's contrived story from the ETS website. The excellent point has been made that this should happen after some sort of impartial investigation - none of us have met face to face, and for all anyone knows, we could all be terrorists posting from Yemen.

Why is the removal important? Kavanaugh's is one of the survival stories posted permanently on ETS. Here is what ETS and Doug Ritter says about the value of survival stories:

"Equipped To Survive™ publishes a good deal of material regarding real life survival stories. The Survival Forum™ is filled with discussions of such events. When I give presentations to groups about survival subjects, as part of the outreach program that helps support the Foundations goals and finances, survival stories are always part of the program. These stories are critically important for a number of purposes, one of the most vital being to remind people how important preparation is, because damn near anything can happen out there."

Given that statement, wouldn't it be kinda nice if these stories were true and factual? Please note that this has nothing to do with the free wheeling discussion on the Forum, which certainly cannot, and should not, be monitored all that closely.

I think ETS is an exceptional website, dispensing good, solid information about emergency survival and disaster preparations. In my opinion, it stands head and shoulders above many others lumped into this general category. I think the presence of this false narrative really impugns its integrity. I would like to see the site improved by a little deft surgery. After appropriate investigation, it should only be a matter of a few keystrokes.

I would like to remember Chris Kavanaugh as a deft and witty moderator who was crucial to instilling a reasonable tone on the forum. That should be his legacy, not this cockeyed tale.

Finally, I will heed a recent PM and shut up and sit down with respect to this matter; it is time to put this whole thing in the barn and await the considered judgment of the site administrators. Let's go the PM route with any other points on this matter. Thank you for your time.

#224317 - 05/25/11 12:01 PM Re: Fairy Tales on ETS [Re: dougwalkabout]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Let's keep this in perspective. This forum is not the core of the foundation's work; in fact, it is for all intents and purposes irrelevant. It's more like an appendix that flares up on occasion, and has more than once been scheduled for surgical removal.

You have no idea how true this is.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#224995 - 06/02/11 10:38 AM Re: Fairy Tales on ETS [Re: hikermor]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

I have added an advisory note to this article: http://www.equipped.org/0601rescue.htm
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#225004 - 06/02/11 01:21 PM Re: Fairy Tales on ETS [Re: hikermor]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Fair mediation there Doug

#225028 - 06/02/11 04:56 PM Re: Fairy Tales on ETS [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Good call Doug. Some of my earliest survival lessons came from works of fiction. take this one for example.

#225040 - 06/02/11 06:50 PM Re: Fairy Tales on ETS [Re: Mark_F]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Nice.

I'm a fan of "Hatchet" myself.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.