Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#225339 - 06/06/11 05:30 PM Re: 200 miles from home [Re: Teslinhiker]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
After driving the route home late this afternoon, I realized no matter what gear and experience a person has, this country is simply too rugged and unforgiving to attempt a walk home.

I don't buy into giving up.
I would agree that walking home is pretty much your last option and makes trailer with jet-boat look like a sensible item of preparation for a road trip :-)

But consider that someone, several someones likely, in the past explored their way along that route. They didn't have the benefit of road/railways or man-made clearings down near the river. You might have to bushwhack when the road/RR is on the other side of the water but the initial explorers had to thrash the entire way. If the river is crossed frequently by bridges you wouldn't have to walk the whole way without a road even if all the bridges are down.

(that might be an interesting research question- just how DID that routed get explored?)

To me the biggest single issue would be food supply for the distance. Surely the explorers packed supplies on a mule or horse train. And they supplemented with hunting/fishing. While we might have modern clothing, footwear and stoves, we generally don't have 200 miles worth of even lightweight food stashed in our backpacks. Nor do we usually have pack animals to carry it for us.

Late additional thought- it might be a worthy experiment to pick a section and just try it and see what you'd learn. Often there are game trails that only appear after you've spent some time adjusting your vision to those details.

Edited by unimogbert (06/06/11 05:40 PM)
Edit Reason: extra thought

#225347 - 06/06/11 07:33 PM Re: 200 miles from home [Re: unimogbert]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
The area was first explored by canoe and a lot of people lost their lives when they tried to navigate the river through the canyon. Later during the Cariboo Gold Rush, 1000's of people died on the same river and in the canyon before a primitive road was punched through. Even today, the highway is often closed due to rockslides, snow, avalanches etc. There is no other road through the canyon and the alternative detours are what I mentioned in the original post.

As for bushwhacking, the steep rugged mountains in this region are covered in thick, nearly impenetrable PNW rain forest growth that makes bushwacking for miles and days a non-starter. Even if you could find an alternative route high above and away from the canyon, year round snow on many mountains poses a whole a whole new set of problems. There are number of old and new logging roads, however my maps and Google Earth seraching of the area do not show any that are interconnected along the whole canyon length.

The more I think about it, the better alternative would be to stay put in one of the villages or head back north into less hostile and more open country where there is a much larger population base with better infrastructure and eventual assistance.

Edited by Teslinhiker (06/06/11 07:46 PM)
Edit Reason: Added link

John Lubbock

#225391 - 06/07/11 12:31 PM Re: 200 miles from home [Re: Teslinhiker]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Oh yes, the PNW rainforest changes things.

From the pictures I couldn't get a sense of that density.
I've taken a few hikes in the wet side of Washington and been astonished at the density.

(Posted pictures look about like Colorado which is quite passable under the trees.)

In addition to survival supplies, trade goods might be the thing to have as you'll probably be staying awhile (Unless you decide to buy and bring that jet boat I keep mentioning :-)

#225397 - 06/07/11 01:35 PM Re: 200 miles from home [Re: unimogbert]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Really for that situation, the thing to bring is a well stocked cabin/retreat/bug-out destination further up the river. wink

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.