Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#224823 - 05/31/11 10:51 PM Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo

My Wilderness EMT instructor works seasonally for a group that does jungle expeditions. His boss was on one such expedition in the Amazon when he needed to step into the bush for '#2 time'. He left his backpack with the group, went off-trail for a ways to take care of business... and became completely disoriented. He wound up being lost in the jungle with almost no gear for 3 days. Miraculously while wandering around he bumped into a military group and they saved him, no joke. Company policy now calls for a simple belt system with a survival pouch & water bottle attached. If you leave the pack, the belt rig must be on you. This goes for everyone on the trip, both employees and clients.

Well thats the second incident of #2 pack loss so far. I think I will clip a whistle and small compass onto the family #2 bag; the kit already has lighters and matches in it.

Yes everyone has a small EDC which should contain these things (and more), but thats what preping is about, the what if situations ...

-A night trip (I've had people "disoriented" making a night trip before, not lost, but just a little worried)

-and the classic: "but I'm just going over there, there's no way I'll ever get lost, I can see the: camp, car, fire, phone tower, etc " (Spoken as the last words ever heard (almost), like in the example from Glock)

#224830 - 06/01/11 12:21 AM Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell [Re: Aussie]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Maybe I'm weird, but when I disappear into the bushes for #2, my pack goes with me. I do generally take it off when I am actually performing, however.

Even if pack loss is rare, it is probably a good idea to carry pocketable EDC gear.

#224882 - 06/01/11 01:35 PM Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell [Re: hikermor]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Even if pack loss is rare, it is probably a good idea to carry pocketable EDC gear.

I agree. And wasn't the venerable original PSP designed for this purpose? A pocket-sized survival kit that could be carried on your person and go wherever you go. Hmmm, now I am starting to sound like an advertisement. No affiliations of course.

#224893 - 06/01/11 02:46 PM Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell [Re: bacpacjac]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Here's what's on me pretty much every day, wherever I go.

My EDC

On top is an old Arc AAA on a bead chain - I wear it pretty much everywhere.

Car keys - I usually only carry the larger - the second set is to my wife's car, but two sets of key fobs is...tough to pocket.

The smaller set has a cut-down Fox 40 whistle.

The larger set of keys has a Victorinox Alox Classic, a Photon Freedom, and a small flat screwdriver (it was my dad's).

In the left column, a Nitecore D-10 1xAA flashlight with an Eneloop, then a Victorinox Alox Farmer, then a Mini RSK Mk 1.

Finally, a mini Bic and a handkerchief.

My most-used items are, in order: Arc AAA, Nitecore flashlight, the reamer tool on the Farmer.

#224926 - 06/01/11 09:45 PM Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell [Re: bacpacjac]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Two poss. scenarios - Your canoe dumps in the rapids or day hiking away from car or camp

#224927 - 06/01/11 10:11 PM Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell [Re: TeacherRO]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Two poss. scenarios - Your canoe dumps in the rapids or day hiking away from car or camp

if you are in a canoe and don't have PSK on your person at all times, then you are not ETS.

As for day hiking, carrying the ten (minimum) essentials is a must, regardless if you are only planning to hike one or 10 miles.

John Lubbock

#225254 - 06/05/11 06:03 PM Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell [Re: bacpacjac]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
This is a very minimal rig I have for urban carry around town everyday. Sort of an "I've lost everything on me but this ring, get me home kit". Not intended for wildnerness carry, so I skipped firestarters...etc. (which are in my small EDC pack)

Victorinox Cadet
Capsule with emergency cash and list of friends and family's home/cell phones, with "800" number and access code for a pre-paid long distance calling card, to use from any phone if I've lost my cell.

Light
Whistle
Spare car key
key to secure box in my car that has more cash and gear

#225400 - 06/07/11 02:17 PM Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp
Capsule with emergency cash and list of friends and family's home/cell phones, with "800" number and access code for a pre-paid long distance calling card, to use from any phone if I've lost my cell...

...key to secure box in my car that has more cash and gear

Great ideas there!

#225407 - 06/07/11 03:17 PM Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell [Re: bacpacjac]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
funny enough I was left "stranded" with my training partner at a lake parking lot in the Superstitions last month. Someone stole his bag while we were swimming a couple miles and his keys were in it. No cell service but the Marina 3/4 mile away let us use their phone. We weren't sure if the thieves would come back for the SUV so one stayed while the other went to make the call for help.

Both our phones (w/ contact #s) were stuck in the SUV. Plus my complete EDC kit and backpack. I didn't need anything at the time and didn't see the need to bust a window.

The only phone numbers we knew for immediate assistance were our spouses. No buddies or kids. Took an hour to get a hold of one of them to get us. We were stuck waiting for an extra key for 3 hours.

We could have easily run out, 14 miles to town, if no one could get us but didn't know if the thieves would come back for the SUV. Instead we had a push up contest, 10 push ups a minute for 60 minutes.

Oh yes, we had a conversation about having an extra key or hiding it. And thanks to the photo above, I'll get a little pill fob for my swim bucket and add some cash and Phone #.

Long story short, thanks for the reminder.

#225410 - 06/07/11 04:21 PM Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp
Capsule with emergency cash...

I've managed to fit only one bill into a similar pill fob on my keychain. So it's Benjamin. What's in yours?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.