Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#226219 - 06/20/11 03:44 PM Re: Nat Geo "When Aliens Attack" [Re: Brangdon]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
There's some advice here. Not that I take it seriously, but I would quite like to get a teeshirt that illustrates Pythagoras nicely.

That was an interesting read, but its logic seems a bit contradictory.

On the one hand it figures the aliens would be so technologically advanced that any resistance would be futile (and, as a side note, of course we couldn't fight Matrix-style; that would be a battle against self-aware machines we created, not an alien species wink ).

Yet it posits we'd be the ones that would have to establish the means to communicate.

Realistically, all of the underlying assumptions around intelligent alien life would mean that the likelihood of our civilization being the first they've encountered extremely low. And even if it was, the idea that such a race wouldn't have a protocol (or come up with one prior to first contact) for establishing communications with an alien (to them) race, that they'd just show up and look at each other saying "shoot, now what do we do" seems incredibly unlikely, assuming they have an actual desire to communicate with us.

And if they don't want to talk to start with, us making little models of triangles likely won't change their mind smile.

#226220 - 06/20/11 04:12 PM Re: Nat Geo "When Aliens Attack" [Re: ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Reference for all the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" geeks out there.

That is one I have not seen.

Jeanette Isabelle

Young folks tend not to be exposed to Hitchhiker's Guide these days. I'm 25 and probably the only 25 year old on my entire county who is familiar with the book.

But then again I think I am the only 25 year old who reads A.E. van Vogt. And he's kind of obscure. Pre-Bradbury and Asimov even.

I don't know about that. the movie coming out a few years ago must have spiked interest in some folks.

I read it about the same age you did. Though I'm more a fan of Wells and his contemporaries.

#226260 - 06/21/11 12:26 AM Re: Nat Geo "When Aliens Attack" [Re: Brangdon]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Brangdon
There's some advice here. Not that I take it seriously, but I would quite like to get a teeshirt that illustrates Pythagoras nicely.

Aren't we overlooking the obvious? Most existing data indicate that aliens aren't as interested in doing high school geometry as in, um, you know. All I can say is that I'm packing some KY in my alien kit.

As for the T shirt illustration, I think you want something like this on your chest, perhaps without the words or algebraic symbols:

#226262 - 06/21/11 12:36 AM Re: Nat Geo "When Aliens Attack" [Re: Denis]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Denis
That said, if an alien race were motivated to invade the earth, the likelihood is they would still need boots on the ground at some-point, even if only to mop up the minority that survived the broader assaults. Although, maybe something like V would be more likely, feigning friendship while conspiring towards their own ends.

Even on earth modern warfare is becoming automated, and precise disabling weapons using sound, heat, etc. are being used, not to mention our extensive stockpiles of chemical/biological stuff. If we can develop such precise ways of killing eachother I'm sure ET's would be capable of the same. I imagine they'd use drones or create a very specific pathogen to wipe us all out. Or maybe they'd engineer super mosquitoes that can breed outside of water and survive in freezing temperatures. eek Now that would be a nightmare.

#226404 - 06/22/11 09:23 AM Re: Nat Geo "When Aliens Attack" [Re: LED]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: LED
[quote=Denis]. Or maybe they'd engineer super mosquitoes that can breed outside of water and survive in freezing temperatures. eek Now that would be a nightmare.

Any mosquito with a beak long enough to nail me through my many layers of winter clothing would be aerodynamically challenged, and an economical replacement for clay pigeons. I'm going to stock up on #9 field loads just in case.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.