Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#224205 - 05/24/11 07:03 AM Nat Geo "When Aliens Attack"
LED Offline
Veteran

I'm sure some of you may have seen this recent show. Its a scenario where aliens attck earth, almost wipe us out, and we eventually drive them back. Same old alien story ad nauseum with some survival stuff mixed in and commentary about how most people would die due to lack of planning/preparation for emergencies. The only thing I thought they got right was how quickly we would be totally defeated, like within hours. And how we would be more likely to die from their virus/bacteria, similar to the europeans and native peoples in the americas. Other than that I thought it was a bit cheesy. If they're that advanced, couldn't they just wipe us out silently with a neurotoxin, or send out ant sized robots to chew us up for biomass? The most silly of all was that the military supposedly has a plan to fight alien invaders. Yeah right, someone's been watching too many movies. IMO, if they make it here, we won't have much say in the matter. Anyone else see it?

#224514 - 05/28/11 04:16 PM Re: Nat Geo "When Aliens Attack" [Re: LED]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I've not bothered.

Greg Bear's novel, "Forge of God" is one relatively realistic take on the scenario. The aliens are so far advanced that the human characters are pretty much irrelevant to the outcome.

It does attempt to deal with the alien motivation, which is surely a necessary element of any scenario. They probably aren't here to take our gold or our women.

#224525 - 05/28/11 06:43 PM Re: Nat Geo "When Aliens Attack" [Re: LED]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
If there were aliens advanced enough to span the interstellar vasts and reach us, we'd be pretty much hosed if they were unfriendly.

#224529 - 05/28/11 08:06 PM Re: Nat Geo "When Aliens Attack" [Re: LED]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
The most silly of all was that the military supposedly has a plan to fight alien invaders. Yeah right, someone's been watching too many movies.

I think that there was a plan. It dated back to the mid 80s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK-XATA-5gs&NR=1

Thats why the FEMA concentration camps have been built. Just in case the aliens don't like beef, chicken or pork!!! wink

#224530 - 05/28/11 08:31 PM Re: Nat Geo "When Aliens Attack" [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I'm going off to the Extraterrestrial Highway (Nevada) next week. If I see anything ... I'll be sure to let you know. Ha! Ha!! Ha!!!

Pete #2

#224531 - 05/28/11 08:42 PM Re: Nat Geo "When Aliens Attack" [Re: ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Janes Defence some years ago did a program for BBC and History Channel about the "unspoken plan" the militaries of the World have hobbled together incase of alien attack. It's rather simple and if it didn't work we'd be quite screwed. It involves essentially launching every nuclear weapon on Earth into space in the hopes that the damage would cripple the ships and, if shielded (Big if, frankly) the EMP would damage them.

If these aliens arrive, then they posses a form of faster-than-light drive system. To travel faster than the speed of light, they will need artificial gravity. Otherwise, every crew member would have their face planted on the back wall. Is this beginning to sound like science fiction to you? Any race capable of this would not have shields that could be taken out with an EMP.

Jeanette Isabelle

#224532 - 05/28/11 09:12 PM Re: Nat Geo "When Aliens Attack" [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

If memory serves me right you only get about a theoretical 6 kilotonnes of yield per kg weight of a 2 stage conventional hydrogen bomb mostly due to weight of the plutonium tamper. With the newer 4 th gen tritium boosted anti-hydrogen weapons you get about 60-100 kilotonnes per kg. So even small warheads that weigh 6000 kg i.e. payload for a old Soviet SS18 etc will get you a approx 1/2 Gigatonne explosion. Enough to take out a 5 km wide asteroid or comet. Off course if the aliens arrive on planet Niburu next year then all bets are off. whistle

#224534 - 05/28/11 09:52 PM Re: Nat Geo "When Aliens Attack" [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Carpal Tunnel

I guess it depends on who attacks us. If the Wraith, assuming they do not come in large numbers, we are fine as their ships do not have much shielding to speak of. If they are Asurans, we are dead.

Jeanette Isabelle

#224537 - 05/28/11 11:19 PM Re: Nat Geo "When Aliens Attack" [Re: ]
Carpal Tunnel

Uh-huh. That's right. I'm a glasses wearing nerd, too. Of the highest order, Madame!

Do I detect a challenge? cool

Jeanette Isabelle

#224539 - 05/28/11 11:49 PM Re: Nat Geo "When Aliens Attack" [Re: ]
Carpal Tunnel

We call up Richard Dean Anderson and say "We need you to play both Jack O'Neill and Angus MacGyver at the same time." They wouldn't stand a chance.

Even if we were to integrate Angus MacGyver and Jack O'Neill, the battle still belongs to the Asurans. We would need an Ascended or Lain Iwakura.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.