The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#254772 - 12/20/12 01:51 AM Re: Well-trained dogs as survival aids [Re: dweste]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
My GSD definitely believes the UPS guy is working for the Taliban. He gets the official "enemy of the state" rapid-fire bark. I can't get any of them to get closer than 30 feet from the house.

#254776 - 12/20/12 03:48 AM Re: Well-trained dogs as survival aids [Re: dweste]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I love our current dog just like the last one, who died too soon and left a void in my heart. We (my dog and I) joke that if I die at home he'll wait at least 3 days to start eating me, which gives my immediate family a decent chance of checking in and finding that I vapor locked or something. Keep a pretty corpse you know; but in the end if I'm dead I really wouldn't mind if its lions or polar bears or my dog that eats my bones.

Sully has obviously been trained in all the social graces, he is a good pup and stays very close during walks, but has a protective streak that means when the plumber says hello he is as likely to nip his hand as wag his tail and say hello. Not sure where he gets that, except from some mistaken sense that he is protecting us. But he will give one short, sharp bark to most strangers, and sometimes lunge. Enough that we keep him leashed and wait for plenty of human contact before letting him sniff the person's crotch.

My private dread in life, we invite the Queen of England for tea, and Sully sniffs her crotch. "Ooo! Oh my!" One would definitely follow the other.

#254791 - 12/20/12 07:20 PM Re: Well-trained dogs as survival aids [Re: dweste]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Great responses.

A Shih Tzu is a great watch dog,sleep very light and the males anyhow are fearless little buggers. I think they are hypoallergenic and dont shed and arent delicate,have very strong thick bones for a mini dog,give em a puppy cut and low maintenance little guys,and very loving with kids and live to entertain you. Just get a puppy though,rescues with baggage
are hard to live with,they never forget if abused.Ever.But if you have little space the Shih lives there fine and are GREAT vehicle dogs,surprising how many Long Haul truckers have a Shih!

Snooky is about 70 LBS,did the same with the UPS guy yesterday.Im squishing out door while she has wrist hooked around it and pulling open,she is strong being husky mix they live to pull.UPS guys eyes like saucers!

Sniff the Queen,too funny!

#255104 - 01/02/13 03:17 PM Re: Well-trained dogs as survival aids [Re: dweste]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Most of the problems with dogs are owner related. the vast majority of people who self train dogs do a very poor job of it and the dogs are just not well trained at all.

Most dog "trainers" are not much better at it.

Fortunately, even poorly trained dogs are usually not that much of a nuisance.

I like hiking with my beagle. She loves it out in the woods and just has a grand time. But I do not delude myself into thinking she is an asset anymore than a child is an asset. Both require far more in resources than they are worth most of the time. Yet human beings have traditionally kept both dogs and children for some reason.

Bob

#255116 - 01/03/13 12:02 AM Re: Well-trained dogs as survival aids [Re: spuds]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
We have a very small zoo in our town which is not very good. They have only one animal on exhibit. It is a Shih Tzu.

#256301 - 02/07/13 12:45 PM Re: Well-trained dogs as survival aids [Re: dweste]
alexbrit Offline
Stranger

Loc: New York
Yes,This is very best to make them the part of rescue activities.They are very best and more effective for such things.All over the world dogs are extensively used for such activities.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 139 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.