Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#225551 - 06/09/11 01:19 PM Re: Well-trained dogs as survival aids [Re: hikermor]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
It was his idea that the dog would be his, and that it would be trained to come rescue him when he blew the whistle. This all came up when we did Hug-a-Tree and Survive at one of our meetings. When I asked what they would do if they got lost he thought about it for a while. That was his response.

#225568 - 06/09/11 05:50 PM Re: Well-trained dogs as survival aids [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Interesting idea. Kids are amazing sometimes! Definitely out of the box thinking and not a bad idea. I wouldn't want to rely on it as primary though.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#225584 - 06/09/11 09:22 PM Re: Well-trained dogs as survival aids [Re: dweste]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
My 'trained' dog proved me wrong once again. Having a dog that hunts down and brings back a skunk is not very helpful. This official lumps all of my dogs into the PITA category if it was a run for your life situation. Now adding hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dishwashing soap into the bug-out-bag for de-skunking the dogs.

#225586 - 06/09/11 10:04 PM Re: Well-trained dogs as survival aids [Re: GarlyDog]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
My 'trained' dog proved me wrong once again. Having a dog that hunts down and brings back a skunk is not very helpful. This official lumps all of my dogs into the PITA category if it was a run for your life situation. Now adding hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dishwashing soap into the bug-out-bag for de-skunking the dogs.

This is EXACTLY what I would expect from my rocket surgeon older dog. The younger dog has shown himself conclusively to be less intelligent.

Our dogs make reasonably good intrusion alarms and they have significant positive impact on morale. They're very protective of my wife and daughters, too. Overall, however, I view them as net negatives to our preparations and planning.

#247464 - 06/25/12 06:33 PM Re: Well-trained dogs as survival aids [Re: dweste]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Watching a crime program.....1st up was a peeper,breaks into home and kills boyfriend,peeper wouldnt have even been out in yard if a Pomeranian lived there.Boyfriend would have KNOWN the danger was there.

Next came an old lady asleep,guy breaks in to sleep it off,ole lady confronts him,he stabs her to death.

A yapper alone would have sent him on his way,he wanted an EMPTY house to crash in.She could have armed herself if a yapper had barked.

A GSD or a Husky,his day would have been ruined.

See a trend here? Folks without dogs are the ones being killed in these home invasions,not the folks with dogs.Dog owner killed,very unusual compared to non dog owner victim.

My point is this,the DooDoo hit the fan for those folks,and thousands of others every year are murdered that just the noise of a dog,let alone the dog capable of putting the bite on an intruder,they would have been safe and alive today.

A big dog,or two,best thing Ive EVER done to protect my family and home.My number one home security items,my dogs,hands down.

Edited by spuds (06/25/12 06:35 PM)

#254736 - 12/19/12 04:02 AM Re: Well-trained dogs as survival aids [Re: dweste]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Quiet night couple days ago,about 11pm....Snooky starts barking,more we ignore her,more irritated she gets. Take a look outside,a guy has placed a 5 gallon bucket in the planter and is standing next to it looking at house.Auto light is illuminating him.

Sorry,just resting,didnt mean to make your dog bark....neighbor lets out her Rottie,he goes about his way.

Now whats a guy doing with a 5 gallon bucket at 11 PM in front of house? My guess is 'Christmas' shopping.

Another example of the the WATCH dog,vrs the guard dog....a WATCH dog is a valuable security tool.Doesnt have to be a killer dog,just ears that are better than yours is very useful.

#254749 - 12/19/12 03:36 PM Re: Well-trained dogs as survival aids [Re: spuds]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: spuds
Now whats a guy doing with a 5 gallon bucket at 11 PM in front of house? My guess is 'Christmas' shopping.

I'm glad that nothing else happened. I hope you called the police.

#254756 - 12/19/12 08:29 PM Re: Well-trained dogs as survival aids [Re: chaosmagnet]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: spuds

I'm glad that nothing else happened. I hope you called the police.
No,not much point,he would be long gone before they showed.I will save the police calls for something more substantial than a (possible) yard thief on foot.

Thanks Chaos,Im glad nothing else happened either but I sure love my pair-o-mutts,I still havent met anyone who wants to challenge them in crazy barker mode.

The last call we made was the motorcycle putting around at idle quietly instead of the usual blast you out mode,stopping,turning off bike and shining his lights in yards.

Cops showed fast,and lo and behold what drives out right after they patrol past house a couple times...a pickup with the bed half filled with assorted gas cans.They looked a good hour I bet,but seems they got away.Now that,at 1:30 AM in a little neighborhood was very odd,muttsters woke me for that one.Good ole Snooky is very good at threats,anything out of ordinary and she is on it,Girl is more 'KILL THE RACCOON,KILL THE RACCOON" barker.

Together though they sure do the job.

LOL laugh ,we see this

They see that

#254758 - 12/19/12 10:42 PM Re: Well-trained dogs as survival aids [Re: dweste]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I'll go with the old-fashioned St Bernard and a small keg of brandy strapped to it collar. I know that technically you're not supposed to drink alcohol when hypothermia is a threat. But this old-time solution would work pretty well for me ... a fluffy St Bernard could generate a lot of body heat :-)

Pete2

#254769 - 12/20/12 12:07 AM Re: Well-trained dogs as survival aids [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yep, dogs make a good sensor package and most are good about letting you know something is up. The dog here is a very muscular 11 lbs and feisty -- a guard dog he is not. But he sees/hears the UPS guy before me and he sleeps light.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.