Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#224409 - 05/27/11 02:13 AM Knife rights and five seconds to live.
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I try to stay out of the knife rights thing. As far as I'm concerned most of the arguments too closely parallel gun rights and there just isn't going to be any useful ground between the pro and anti sides in either case because all the arguments are rooted in absolutes and platitudes. I try to stay out of it but in this case I figure something might come out of it because no matter how doubtful I may be of abstract concerns and rights there is clearly something wrong here and how people see, and fear, knives has a lot to do with it.

The story in a nutshell is that John T. Williams, a native American woodcarver, and well known lush, in full form at the time, was walking across a crosswalk. He had a knife in one hand and a piece of wood he had been carving in his other. Officer Ian Birk sees the knife, gets out of his cruiser, pulls his gun and orders Williams to drop the knife several times, and then shoots Williams four or five times. Elapse time from first order to shooting is approximately five seconds.

Officer Birk then holds his gun on the motionless Williams as other cruisers and police arrive. They take time to form a ten-man 'stack' and then rush Williams who, as far as I can see, hasn't moved and is dead.

After the fact the knife, a folder with a three inch blade, is found closed and is photographed.

Watch the video:
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/05/trigger_happy.php

Include short discussion and crime scene photo of closed knife:
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/108548839.html

An account that cover most of the same ground but includes a good photo of the knife presumably opened for display:
http://mother-earth-journal.com/2010/09/01/05-seattle-police-officer-slays-native-woodcarver/

Discuss. I'll come back with my two cents worth. Please keep it civil.

#224413 - 05/27/11 02:41 AM Re: Knife rights and five seconds to live. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

One can only hope that this police officer is charged with 2nd degree murder.

#224417 - 05/27/11 03:53 AM Re: Knife rights and five seconds to live. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Agreed. Crimes perpetrated by the watchmen are far more serious than those committed by common citizens as they're entrusted with the public good.

#224419 - 05/27/11 04:54 AM Re: Knife rights and five seconds to live. [Re: Art_in_FL]
juhirvon Offline

The officer's actions were found "unjustified" and was forced to resign but he wasn't charged with anything.
(one of the sources)

-jh

#224434 - 05/27/11 12:48 PM Re: Knife rights and five seconds to live. [Re: Art_in_FL]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Discuss. I'll come back with my two cents worth. Please keep it civil.

Not a lot to say here. If he wasn't threatening anyone with it lethal force was not justified.

#224439 - 05/27/11 02:02 PM Re: Knife rights and five seconds to live. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Adventureboy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Peoria, AZ ,USA
What a Dumb @*s. Im sorry that is the only word to describe a cop who abuses his power and authority, not to mention the privelige of carrying a handgun. Dosen't he realise that crap like this is what gives police officers and sheriffs deputys a bad name?
Adventureboy

#224440 - 05/27/11 02:21 PM Re: Knife rights and five seconds to live. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Jackpine_Savage Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Minnesota
What happened just prior to the incident? What was the call that the officer got and what had William done? If nothing then the officer was wrong. However I've been aroung long enough to know that the media doesn't always tell the whole story.

Take Care and Stay Safe.

#224441 - 05/27/11 02:40 PM Re: Knife rights and five seconds to live. [Re: Art_in_FL]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
What prompted the officer to stop Williams -

Was there a call about him?

Was he drunk at the time (well known lush) and was he threatening anyone?

Absent those two circumstances, the cop should hang. (Sister is retired police captain so ya know)

#224442 - 05/27/11 02:45 PM Re: Knife rights and five seconds to live. [Re: Jackpine_Savage]
Pete Offline
Veteran

That's a terrible incident.
If the guy was on a crosswalk, and the blade of the knife was not opened, AND he had a piece of wood in the other hand, it's pretty hard to see how the knife poses any immediate danger to anyone. Whatever happened to a warning shot by a peace officer? And why does it require ten deputies to subdue one man who is shot and lying motionless on the ground?

The police have a very difficult job to do. But there needs to be a better balance in their response to incidents like this.

There is a phobia about knives in this country. It's weird - almost some sort of deep primeval fear. Maybe it comes from the ridiculous number of Hollywood horror shows that show people getting carved up.

Anyway - the takeaway is to be careful how you carry a knife in public. And perhaps avoid doing it near civic centers.

Pete #2

Edited by Pete (05/27/11 02:45 PM)

#224443 - 05/27/11 02:51 PM Re: Knife rights and five seconds to live. [Re: Pete]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
Quote:
Whatever happened to a warning shot by a peace officer?

For many reasons police never fire warning shots. The biggest one being that you have no idea where the shot fired "into the air" will land.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.