The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#222098 - 04/21/11 08:26 PM Re: Carrying spare glasses? [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
a trick that most that wear glasses know, but will pass it on anyway... make a very small hole (aperture) by rolling your index finger over your thumb... when you look thru the hole without your prescription lenses on you should see with better visual acuity

#222124 - 04/22/11 03:31 PM Re: Carrying spare glasses? [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

For lots more info on on-line ordering of prescription glasses try

Glassyeyes.com

#222240 - 04/25/11 12:31 AM Re: Carrying spare glasses? [Re: TeacherRO]
Crookedknife Offline
Stranger

Loc: Washington
I had my prescription installed in optical-quality folding reader frames. The two cheapest brands I've found that are good enough are "Wonderfold" and "Myspex". Their cases are little, maybe the size of a cellphone.

Personally I don't EDC them, but they go into my hiking pack and traveling bag. I stick older, regular glasses in my glove compartment and work desk as spares.

#222296 - 04/25/11 10:24 PM Re: Carrying spare glasses? [Re: TeacherRO]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
A few years ago I bought (on line) a pair of folding prescription glasses in a very small package (smaller than an altoids tin). The glasses were cheap (under $20), rugged and well protected in their hard case. They were the perfect backup glasses for carry. Like CrookedKnife, I use old regular glasses in the car and desk. You have to be careful of heat molded frames in the car though. I had several pair of GI glasses and sunglasses that I kept in various cars only to find them warped when I tried to use them. I am trying to find the site for the folding ones or something similar and will let you know when I find it.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#222304 - 04/26/11 12:08 AM Re: Carrying spare glasses? [Re: JerryFountain]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...

#222314 - 04/26/11 06:31 AM Re: Carrying spare glasses? [Re: TeacherRO]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Unfortunately, unlike the rest of you (seemingly), I can read just fine. i just can't see distance!

I keep my old pair in my home BOB. Usually if camping < 3 days I'll just keep my contacts and bring my home pair of glasses.

I actually now have several pairs, thanks to the Navy. Not to mention 3 goggle inserts (that, for some reason, don't work well for me, despite theoretically being correct). All the glasses I have are a little off from each other, but after about a day with the same pair, my eyes seem to adjust to the differences.

#222320 - 04/26/11 11:07 AM Re: Carrying spare glasses? [Re: MDinana]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Unfortunately, unlike the rest of you (seemingly), I can read just fine. i just can't see distance!

I have the same issue. Reading and small details I'm usually fine with....it's anything past a foot that gets fuzzy. When I was a kid I just needed them to see the board in school, now my vision is so bad I need them all the time. More often than not, I forget to take them off and end up sleeping with them on.

Typically I go every couple years to get my eyes checked and what not. At that time, I usually get a new pair of glasses to replace my everyday pair. I then save the older pairs. They tend to be a bit worn out (and scratched), but still serviceable. I've got these all over the house, my car, in my bags, ect. Just a simple hard case and old pair of glasses.

With that said, I keep telling myself to just look into getting LASIK. I'm still not 100% sure on it though. The thought of someone cutting into my eye (especially while I'm awake) has me a little skittish.

#222349 - 04/26/11 08:35 PM Re: Carrying spare glasses? [Re: Paul810]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Paul810
Originally Posted By: MDinana

...snip...
I have the same issue. Reading and small details I'm usually fine with....it's anything past a foot that gets fuzzy.
With that said, I keep telling myself to just look into getting LASIK. I'm still not 100% sure on it though. The thought of someone cutting into my eye (especially while I'm awake) has me a little skittish.

You sound like my brother -- no way this side of h*ll will he let somebody touch his eyes. Me on the other hand, I was totally comfortable with it. But each person has to know their comfort level and in discussions with their ophthalmologist find out whether it is right for them. I've got mine recorded on video - one of these days I will get it transferred to an electronic format, post it and give everybody a real "eye full" of my experience. The keratome knife that slices the lens is actually pretty cool. I used to be near sighted, -20/550 & -20/650 with 1.5 diopter astigmatism to be exact. Today I am +.25 far sighted and next to no astigmatism but presbyopia has caught up to me and I need readers for close up work.

#223672 - 05/15/11 11:48 PM Re: Carrying spare glasses? [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have moved to strong metal glasses cases for edc and travel - fits easily into my laptop bag.

#224410 - 05/27/11 02:15 AM Re: Carrying spare glasses? [Re: Paul810]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Paul810
With that said, I keep telling myself to just look into getting LASIK.

I'm not getting surgery. I like my glasses. They are apart of my Geek Goddess image.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.