Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#224335 - 05/25/11 11:03 PM Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell [Re: bacpacjac]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Totally agree.
I like to try and keep water and some quick snacks handy (ie not in the pack) whenever possible. And items like a map, compass or anything else which requires quick or ready access. It is a real pain to have to take a pack off and on to get access to something simple.

In cold weather people often just want to plod on, and if its wet no one likes to open up their pack, so having ready access is ideal.

When its hot weather, I've noticed that everyone drinks more water if they can quickly swig from a bottle which they have ready access to, rather than have to access a pack. I often keep a bottle for ready access, and a more in reserve in the pack.

#224348 - 05/26/11 01:41 AM Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Great examples of scenarios when you would be seperated from your pack, or simply wouldn't want to take your pack off your back, gang!

Here's another: When I hike with my son and/or the Beaver Scouts, somebody always seems to need a bandaid or hand sanitizing. I don't want to stop and open my pack for their tiny boo boos and oopsies, so I always keep a small FAK and mini purelle on my belt or in a pocket, along with a water bottle in a cargo pocket or fanny pack.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#224360 - 05/26/11 04:52 AM Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell [Re: bacpacjac]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Aussie, bacpacjac...+1

#224361 - 05/26/11 06:10 AM Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell [Re: comms]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I guess first I have my EDC, which goes with me everywhere, in town, in the house, on hikes. When motoring around town I usually add my bail-out bag at least to the car, if I'm not outright carrying it. Tons and tons of stuff in that bag.

When I'm hiking, I suppliment (not replace) my EDC with a mini PSK in my pocket. And also with lots of survival stuff in my backpack. LOTS of stuff. I am certainly NOT an "ultra light hiker"!

But since we're talking stuff carried "on you", that would be my EDC in urban environments and my EDC plus mini PSK during outdoor adventures (hiking, canoeing, fishing, etc.)

My EDC is knife, flashlight, handgun, spare mag, watch, wallet and cellphone. These items will ALWAYS be on me. EVERYWHERE.

When I go hiking, etc., the mini PSK gets added to my pocket. It's an Altoids tin stuffed/wrapped with all kinds of stuff. I decided what to put in it based on these ETS forums. The most critical ingredients in the mini PSK are signaling, firestarting, paracord, duct tape type stuff. I don't need to list the specifics - they are the standard things that everybody here can spit out in alphabetical and reverse-alphabetical order in their sleep. I guess also "on me" when hiking will be sunglasses and a hat.

Everything else, I carry in a bag or backpack. And in theory could become seperated from.

#224364 - 05/26/11 10:18 AM Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell [Re: hikermor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: hikermor
It varies. I use my flashlight, SAK, or Wave on an almost daily basis. On the other hand, I have never used the whistle on my key chain. I rarely have to resort to my emergency cash, but it is there just in case.

I could have written that same sentence!

#224380 - 05/26/11 05:52 PM Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I've only used my emergency cash once - to buy a hand made wool sweater at a llama festival where the vendor wouldn't take credit cards.

And yes, I'll go to great lengths to keep my marriage loving and happy. So no wise cracks about the entertainment value of a "llama festival"!

#224399 - 05/27/11 01:19 AM Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell [Re: bacpacjac]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Colin Fletcher has an 'office" on a strap of his backpack - really just a small pocket at chest level for a note book. Could be used for gps or camera as well

#224436 - 05/27/11 12:50 PM Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell [Re: haertig]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: haertig
And yes, I'll go to great lengths to keep my marriage loving and happy. So no wise cracks about the entertainment value of a "llama festival"!

Been there, done that. Does your wife reciprocate? For example, mine will not go with me to gun shows.

#224803 - 05/31/11 07:26 PM Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell [Re: hikermor]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Sorry BacPacJac, I didn't follow through on your excellent suggestion. I will try to get some pics up soon. BTW, shouldn't this thread be in a different sub-forum, since The Campfire is "A place for Chit Chat about life or subjects of interest other than Survival or Emergency Preparedness"?

Originally Posted By: hikermor
But I have never understood losing your pack when hiking in the wilds. It just shouldn't happen

A couple of real-world incidents:

- This guy had his pack stripped off of him in an avalanche. The promo I linked shows this 'dramatically' but if you watch the episode, he specifically describes losing his pack in the event, and he had almost no gear on his person.

- My Wilderness EMT instructor works seasonally for a group that does jungle expeditions. His boss was on one such expedition in the Amazon when he needed to step into the bush for '#2 time'. He left his backpack with the group, went off-trail for a ways to take care of business... and became completely disoriented. He wound up being lost in the jungle with almost no gear for 3 days. Miraculously while wandering around he bumped into a military group and they saved him, no joke. Company policy now calls for a simple belt system with a survival pouch & water bottle attached. If you leave the pack, the belt rig must be on you. This goes for everyone on the trip, both employees and clients.

#224806 - 05/31/11 07:35 PM Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
BTW, shouldn't this thread be in a different sub-forum, since The Campfire is "A place for Chit Chat about life or subjects of interest other than Survival or Emergency Preparedness"?

You're probably right Glock. My bad!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.