Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#223425 - 05/12/11 12:45 AM Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
While my brain resets after trying to solve the equation, I think there could be value in reaching out to those you care about to let them know if the May 21 end-of-days they believe in fails to occur, that you think no less of them and would be glad to help them get over their disappointment with a home-cooked meal and a sympathetic ear. We all have a belief or two that the majority might not share and these are the neighbors we count on during potential emergencies.

I seem to recall something about glass houses and stones.

Edited by dweste (05/12/11 12:47 AM)

#223435 - 05/12/11 02:37 AM Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. [Re: dweste]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Perhaps we could ask one of them who's going to ask the guy in charge what's the mystery with the number 1/137.036[quote]

That's my bad. It is the number of Spaghetti-O in the can when I ate lunch at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe. The number inadvertently got incorporated into this universe when the huge time engines were activated and I was still eating. It is one of those quantum transference things and it will disappear when the universe is restarted.

They tell you to stop everything when the activate the engines but hey ... I was hungry and all I could afford after the trip was Spaghetti-Os. But I left a big tip ... one penny. Worth a fortune when compound interest is applied over the age of the universe.

Word is reset is scheduled on May 21st at 1800 hours. So no more mystery, or memory of their ever being a mystery. You might consult with any of the more popular trans-dimensional species, like white mice.

[quote=dweste]While my brain resets after trying to solve the equation, I think there could be value in reaching out to those you care about to let them know if the May 21 end-of-days they believe in fails to occur, that you think no less of them and would be glad to help them get over their disappointment with a home-cooked meal and a sympathetic ear. We all have a belief or two that the majority might not share and these are the neighbors we count on during potential emergencies.

I seem to recall something about glass houses and stones.

A little tea and sympathy might be just the thing. After a few minutes of laughing and pointing, of course.

Always best to acknowledge the fault, have full disclosure, embrace the full depth and breadth of folly and error. Then move on with admitting that, yes, most everyone has their turn at being tragically wrong. It is part of the human condition. Those with a strong sense of humor tend to get over it faster.

#223488 - 05/12/11 04:58 PM Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
So, you mean that May 20 will be the last day that the JWs and LDS missionaries are likely to show up at my door? HALLELUJAH!

May 20... my payday, but it won't arrive until Monday... shee-it! The first one EVER that I didn't have to pay bills with, and it's coming too late to do any good. frown

Well, it seems to me that if you have enough kit, you should be able to survive practically anything, even Armageddon.

Sue

p.s. Be sure to check out the comments below the article in Art's second link... HILARIOUS!

#223581 - 05/13/11 07:28 PM Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. [Re: Art_in_FL]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Sounds like a good excuse for a party. Think we're going to gather the family on the couch, scarfing down popcorn with extra butter, salt and MMs, and watching of the world movies.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#223583 - 05/13/11 08:25 PM Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. [Re: Susan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I'm starting a part time job tomorrow, and my first payday is the 19th. I guess I could spend it all in one place, if i were so inclined. I'd be happy to send you some cash, Sue, but it wouldn't get to you in time to do any good....

#223633 - 05/14/11 09:35 PM Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Thanks for the thought, Hikermor!

One thing comes to mind with these apocalypse predictions...

Back when everyone was waiting to see what happened when Y2K hit, a local family in my small town decided THAT was going to be the end of the world. The couple killed their two small children, the husband shot his wife, then he called 911 to report it and shot himself.

There have been many predictions of this sort and none of them have come to pass yet.

Sue

#223645 - 05/15/11 12:48 PM Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Y2 was a little worse because the media was reporting everything from cars stopping to power plants blowing up. I had someone on a forum argue with me for the longest time trying to convince me that because the date was displayed on the dash of his Mercedes that the engine would quit on y2k. I went so far as to dig up spec sheets on a Motorola 68332 (popular microcontroller used in engine computers) and code examples to show how it wouldn't.
I never heard from him after y2k,may his mercedes blew up smile

#223745 - 05/17/11 12:47 AM Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. [Re: Art_in_FL]
trooper0366 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
Does this mean I don't have to worry about the coffee mug shortage in the other thread?

#223783 - 05/17/11 07:34 PM Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. [Re: trooper0366]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Quote:
Does this mean I don't have to worry about the coffee mug shortage in the other thread?

Not until the following Tuesday, at least.

Sue

#223788 - 05/17/11 10:07 PM Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. [Re: Art_in_FL]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
If anyone thinks they will be leaving, please PM me so I can be included in your will. As they say in gamer land when someone quits -

"Can I haves your stuffs?"

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 326 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
55 minutes 48 seconds ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.