Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#224231 - 05/24/11 05:15 PM Re: Fairy Tales on ETS [Re: Blast]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I agree. What also concerns me is that DR has been online at least twice since this started, and so far has made no statement. Perhaps he is checking out some of his sources on this matter.

#224245 - 05/24/11 07:05 PM Re: Fairy Tales on ETS [Re: hikermor]
Frisket Offline
Addict

When I first discovered ETS I read all of the stories and was impressed with CK's. I just went back with a more level headed "I already been here" Kinda attitude and now find it alittle to fantastical.

Everything He decided to bring last second saved the day. Even the Bite kit amazingly saved the day aswell. It sounds to perfect as he didnt bring to much nor did he bring too little, he somehow brought the exact amount of what the entire group needed. Not to mention everyone else was lacked what they needed and brought only what they somehow did not need such as 2 men bringing two very large heavy fixed blades each to a grassland island. As Blast stated its way to hollywood sounding to me now. It may very well just be his way of storytelling and it may very well just be him pointing out the major facts and leaving out the fluff as well.

Reading it slowly with a theatrical trailer point of view it does sound like a movie trailer tho....seriously doesnt it?

#224253 - 05/24/11 08:44 PM Re: Fairy Tales on ETS [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Just an update, I heard back from Doug about this thread and that story.

An attempt to post his response triggered this forum's automatic censoring protocals (multiple times), so I'll just paraphrase it:
How very interesting. I will attend to this issue with all the relative urgency it requires as compared to certain other matters of importance I am currently pursuing. Your patience in this is most graciously requested.
D.R.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#224255 - 05/24/11 08:52 PM Re: Fairy Tales on ETS [Re: hikermor]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Doug has been extremely busy and hasn't been on the forum for sometime. He may have appeared to be online, but he hasn't been reading the forum and knew nothing of this thread when I talked to him a few minutes ago.

Chris K. left this forum some time ago after circumstances that would not make me surprised one bit if this story turned out to be fabricated.

Edited to add: Blast beat me to it, that's what I get for leaving my computer for a bit and not checking the thread. eek

Edited by Alan_Romania (05/24/11 08:53 PM)

#224263 - 05/24/11 09:22 PM Re: Fairy Tales on ETS [Re: Blast]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Fair enough...

#224266 - 05/24/11 09:34 PM Re: Fairy Tales on ETS [Re: NightHiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Quote:
Doug's analysis of the facts as they were stated is accurate and honest.

The problem is the "facts" aren't facts, they are fabricated fantasy. It is highly regrettable that DR was sucked into an analysis of what is more and more nothing but contrived fiction.

#224277 - 05/24/11 10:42 PM Re: Fairy Tales on ETS [Re: hikermor]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Quote:
Doug's analysis of the facts as they were stated is accurate and honest.

The problem is the "facts" aren't facts, they are fabricated fantasy. It is highly regrettable that DR was sucked into an analysis of what is more and more nothing but contrived fiction.

I agree with you that it's regrettable that DR had to waste his time to analyze what could be a complete fabrication, but in all honesty I personally don't see it as a big of an issue that requires him to drop everything and give it immediate attention. It's a story that most people probably glanced over and promptly forgot about until it was brought up in this thread. I can't imagine anybody was really influenced by it. Maybe it's because I'm not personally close to any of the mentioned groups in the story that I think of it as just another tall tale.

In reality, it's the internet and there's no way to tell who's telling the truth. In all fairness, DR would also have to research your side of the story to make sure we're not unfairly accusing CK of making false statements. Based on what i know about yours and Chris's history, I believe you, but nobody can really draw any conclusions without wasting a lot of time and effort to get find the truth. In the end it really doesn't change anything, people will always need to keep their BS meter handy whenever they're on any forum. This forum is above average in that department, but it's not immune to it's share of embellishments.

Now, one thing I've always wished for were more updates in the survival stories section. I used to check it all the time looking for new stories, but never saw any. It seems that with all the things that have happened i.e Katrina, Japan earthquakes, tornadoes, etc. there would be at least a few more recent survival stories. The forums are great for conversations and a lot of what-ifs, but real life experience is what I want to hear about. It's ironic that some of the best survival stories that I've read have been on other forums completely unrelated to the topic.

#224282 - 05/24/11 11:18 PM Re: Fairy Tales on ETS [Re: hikermor]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

My take is this should have been taken privately with DR, rather than on the open forum. Good people can and do get misled.

#224285 - 05/24/11 11:45 PM Re: Fairy Tales on ETS [Re: hikermor]
6pac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: N.E. Alabama
In all honesty, Doug has admins and moderators on this forum that are perfectly capable of adding 2+2. Hikermor, your account is most likely as close to the truth as this forum will ever hear. You were there when this supposedly took place and you should've known "if" the event actually happened. To the best of your knowledge it didn't happen, so what can Doug or anybody else do to remedy this? Doug and the rest of the admins can't verify every story that is told on this forum.

Ducktapeguy, All your responses to this thread were dead on. Kudos to you for calling a duck... a duck.

I hope I didn't offend anyone, but we're beating a dead horse here.

#224288 - 05/25/11 12:20 AM Re: Fairy Tales on ETS [Re: rebwa]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Originally Posted By: rebwa
My take is this should have been taken privately with DR, rather than on the open forum. Good people can and do get misled.
Good Point. I did indeed try to do that and found that he is not taking PM's at this time. I don't know his situation, and, not being in his moccasins, I will not attempt to decide what his priorities ought to be. I am certainly willing to wait a bit,and am doing so. I am certainly willing to assist any effort to determine the facts of the case here.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.