The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#223933 - 05/20/11 03:44 AM Latex vs. vinyl vs. nitrile gloves
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I went to update my first aid kit and found that all the latex gloves had disintegrated. Which glove material (latex, vinyl, nitrile) is better for storage in higher temperatures?

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#223935 - 05/20/11 05:52 AM Re: Latex vs. vinyl vs. nitrile gloves [Re: Mark_R]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Stick with Nitrile either way. To risk coming across someone with alergic reactions to vinyl or latex is not worth the saved cash on replacing them.

#223946 - 05/20/11 12:32 PM Re: Latex vs. vinyl vs. nitrile gloves [Re: Mark_R]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Go with nitrile.

#223947 - 05/20/11 12:40 PM Re: Latex vs. vinyl vs. nitrile gloves [Re: Mark_R]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Is it possible you could come across someone allergic to all three? Is there any other alternative materials? I hadn't heard of Vinyl gloves til I saw this thread.

#223959 - 05/20/11 03:40 PM Re: Latex vs. vinyl vs. nitrile gloves [Re: Mark_R]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I've never heard of an allergy to nitrile. I suppose it's plausible but hard to imagine.

#223962 - 05/20/11 03:55 PM Re: Latex vs. vinyl vs. nitrile gloves [Re: Mark_R]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I echo the suggestion to go with nitrile. Less chance of allergic reaction and I love the safety of their "rip with a pin prick" feature.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#223970 - 05/20/11 06:24 PM Re: Latex vs. vinyl vs. nitrile gloves [Re: Mark_R]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Most first-aid kits seem to come with one, sometime two, pairs of gloves. Given their delicacy two pairs might hold up for a few minutes. Hard use, the likelihood a few are damaged in storage, the need to change gloves between patents and when switching between contaminated and not contaminated surfaces, would seem to say even a small kit needs a lot more gloves. Two or three pairs isn't near enough. Six pairs is better but a quick look at accident scenes, even with just one or two people injured, often shows dozens of gloves discarded and there are clearly limits on how may pairs a small kit might hold.

I've entertained the thought that some sort of heavier glove, an industrial model, might serve. Early surgical gloves were fairly thick, durable, and were commonly reused. Surgeons didn't like them due to some loss of dexterity. If your bent is toward preparedness for long term and post-apocalyptic world a huge supply of disposable gloves, or a shorter supply of heavy-duty reusable gloves would seem to be your options. That assumes you absolutely require gloves.

I also have considered going without. The actual benefits of safety in the field provided by gloves have never been entirely clear to me. In a clean and well controlled environment working on a minor wound gloves likely help protect both parties. In the woods, rolling in the mud, large bloody wounds, and mass casualty sites that resemble an ill kept abattoir the advantage is much less clear.

#223977 - 05/20/11 07:08 PM Re: Latex vs. vinyl vs. nitrile gloves [Re: Mark_R]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
All of the gloves will deteriorate with age, as well as exposure to heat and light, including nitrile gloves.

Sue

#223998 - 05/21/11 02:12 AM Re: Latex vs. vinyl vs. nitrile gloves [Re: Mark_R]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

I also have considered going without. The actual benefits of safety in the field provided by gloves have never been entirely clear to me. In a clean and well controlled environment working on a minor wound gloves likely help protect both parties. In the woods, rolling in the mud, large bloody wounds, and mass casualty sites that resemble an ill kept abattoir the advantage is much less clear.

To your point Art, I was once the first responder at an accident where two bikers were smashed up by a dump truck. After the paramedics arrived and took over, I was cleaning up and noticed a fresh cut on my hand. I had no recollection of when or how it happened. I only knew that it happened on the scene. I wore 2 pairs of latex gloves, changing the outter pair, went through several pairs, and didn't notice the cut until I was done. That was the moment I realized I no longer had the stomache to be an EMT. (I felt a little better knowing my hepatitis and tetanus shots were up to date.)

Sue's right. There are no guarantees. I might have been better off with a thicker outter pair of gloves. Rubber dish/chemical gloves maybe?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#224004 - 05/21/11 03:08 AM Re: Latex vs. vinyl vs. nitrile gloves [Re: Mark_R]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Firemen have long used tough leather gloves and I have seen a few EMTs wearing tough over-gloves, looked like poly knit work gloves, over the thinner rubber ones.

Gloves and glasses are common but offer only limited protection. I've seen an EMT pretty much hosed with blood from a punctured artery. It has always amazed me how blood spreads out and covers everything. How slippery it is and then how sticky and tenacious it gets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.