Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#223884 - 05/19/11 03:58 AM Re: Tent stakes [Re: stevenpd]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Again, if weight is not a great concern, the 12" steel twist/spiral nails from hardware stores are a real problem solver.

From a technique point of view, though, I have had great luck when backpacking with the 'stone assist' method.

#223885 - 05/19/11 06:41 AM Re: Tent stakes [Re: stevenpd]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I know just what you're talking about. Did lots of camping in the Sierra's, Big Bear, and the San Bernadino mountains.

Sometimes, you just have to tie the darn tent down. Often I'll double up the stakes too. Ie, if I have 6 tie down points (like a hexagon shaped tent) I'll use two stakes and ropes for each point. It helps spread the load. Throwing a rock on top can help (I tend to bury the tent pegs). If need be, throw some rocks into a sleeping-bag stuff sack and use that as an anchor point (tie into it). And sometimes you just can't beat the wind.

Also, leaving your heavy gear in the tent helps a bit.

#223892 - 05/19/11 04:04 PM Re: Tent stakes [Re: stevenpd]
moab Offline

Loc: England
I've had good success with using two weaker pegs (assuming you have not got your 747 tie downs with you!) in an offset configuration that shares the strain across both pegs and is less likely to pull out.

#223900 - 05/19/11 07:21 PM Re: Tent stakes [Re: moab]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: moab
I've had good success with using two weaker pegs (assuming you have not got your 747 tie downs with you!) in an offset configuration that shares the strain across both pegs and is less likely to pull out.

That's been my strategy too Moab. Works pretty well, especially if you bury them and add a little weight, like a rock.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#223910 - 05/19/11 08:50 PM Re: Tent stakes [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
I like these if weight is no problem. I believe you could stake down King Kong with these...

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=540630

+1 on the orange military stakes. Very solid. I've had very good experiences with them in high wind -- wind high enough that it shredded a tarp but not one stake pulled up.

HJ

#223917 - 05/19/11 10:41 PM Re: Tent stakes [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I use the MSR Ground Hogs - inexpensive for the quality you get, you can get them at several places (REI etc).

#223919 - 05/19/11 11:23 PM Re: Tent stakes [Re: stevenpd]
stevenpd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SoCal
A great big thank you to the ETS Brain Trust!

All good suggestions and reminders. ;-)

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. I had plenty of stakes to double up on anchor points. (palm to forehead) But was more focused on a "quick" solution. Unfortunately there wasn't enough rocks around to cover all the anchor points.

Didn't consider burying the anchors only because of the environmental damage that I would have to do to the local grasses. I suppose if I was careful about it, it could be done.

Overall the wind in the Eastern Sierras (June Lake) was heavy due to the rapid change in the weather. The weather report was predicting high winds and heavy snow for the next couple of days which forced us to change our plans substantially. After the high winds hit we bugged out as fast as we could. This time I followed my instincts which worked out for the best, this time.

We still had a blast. I need to get out more . . .

#223932 - 05/20/11 03:42 AM Re: Tent stakes [Re: stevenpd]
Crookedknife Offline
Stranger

Loc: Washington
People have already chimed in with most of what I'd say. With my tent, I noticed that it had a couple of loops midway down its main ridgeline, so I used them to add a couple more guylines for windy conditions. I don't think it would be very hard to sew on extra tie loops if one thinks wind will be a common problem.

#223939 - 05/20/11 08:04 AM Re: Tent stakes [Re: stevenpd]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: stevenpd
Didn't consider burying the anchors only because of the environmental damage that I would have to do to the local grasses. I suppose if I was careful about it, it could be done.

I should clarify- don't "bury" them with a shovel. Just pound the stake in so that the top is nearly ground level. I've been able to pull up the stakes just by pulling up on the guy line 9 times out of 10.

As an aside.... do rocks really "decompose?" I'm sure there's a correct word for the process of them breaking down. Anybody know it?

#223940 - 05/20/11 09:29 AM Re: Tent stakes [Re: MDinana]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Originally Posted By: stevenpd

I should clarify- don't "bury" them with a shovel. Just pound the stake in so that the top is nearly ground level. I've been able to pull up the stakes just by pulling up on the guy line 9 times out of 10.

As an aside.... do rocks really "decompose?" I'm sure there's a correct word for the process of them breaking down. Anybody know it?

"Rocks into stone, Stone into sand
Sand that slips through the hands of a man

Now the sands will shift and the earth's gonna roll.
The rocks and the rain will collect their toll.
And all I'll take is what I brought
and I may not get what I sought.
Whether I sink or whether I fall
that's up to the shifting sands after all

Before fish ever walked on land,
time was turning rocks into sand."

Bill Kirchen

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.