Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#224128 - 05/23/11 05:50 AM Re: Search for hiking WA state trooper, used SPOT [Re: comms]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: comms
a plagerizing fool

No, Sir - absolutely not! Plagiarism would be to claim that the list you've ripped from someone else is your own invention.

There is no need to re-invent the wheel. Copying someone else's well thought out setup is smart. Adapt as needed.

#224281 - 05/24/11 11:14 PM Re: Search for hiking WA state trooper, used SPOT [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Glad this worked out well.
I have a SPOT2 and carry it any time I am remote ... hiking, riding my mot0rcycle, whatever.

One nice thing is that you can program in a good specific emergency message. So your message can tell police who you are, how old you are, where you are going, the route you plan to follow, and what kind of gear you've got with you. If you use the device intelligently, the emergency message can provide a lot of information.

I should explain that the SPOT2 does not transmit the whole message. The device just sends an SOS signal when you hit the SOS button. Hence the SPOT signal will give your latest GPS coordinates, and inform the headquarters (in Texas) that you have a serious problem. Your location is updated every 15 mins. Prior to your trip, you can go online to your user profile and update the message that you want people to read in an actual emergency - so that the SPOT organization and the police will have this data. Therefore, with a little forward thinking, you can give them a very good picture of who you are and what you are doing out there. Then - so long as you stick to your planned route - all this stuff will be helpful to a search team.

Pete #2

Edited by Pete (05/24/11 11:19 PM)

#224320 - 05/25/11 01:06 PM Re: Search for hiking WA state trooper, used SPOT [Re: Pete]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
That's a good point about forward thinking and keeping your SPOT online profile up to date. I wonder if the same couldn't be done through the registration page for the other PLB's (McMurdo, ACR ...).

When I registered my FF210 they took basic contact info so if your device is ever triggered they can check for false alarms, but it would be relatively easy for them to also allow for other info that SAR might find useful.

#224324 - 05/25/11 04:47 PM Re: Search for hiking WA state trooper, used SPOT [Re: clearwater]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I don't think so Russ. 'Real' PLBs (this coming from a SPOT2 owner) are one button items. SPOT on the other hand is listed as a GPS messenger, has multiple functions for tracking (online only) and messaging. Most of these buttons are dedicated but the Custom button allows you to change the message that is sent to whomever is in your contact list. Which can also be modified based on person(s) you want to send the message too.

Globalstar, SPOT owners, recent came out with a puck sized unit that mates by bluetooth with your smartphone so that you can send test by satellite the same as if on a cell network. I may be a bit off on that particular but have been reading the advertising on it.

#224366 - 05/26/11 11:14 AM Re: Search for hiking WA state trooper, used SPOT [Re: comms]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
I think Russ's point is that you can provide detailed information on the NOAA registration page concerning your current trip in the comments section. Thus, if you activate, the SAR guys will have access to that information. I do not have my PLB ID handy at the moment, so I cannot get in to confirm this. He's not talking about the ability to compose specialized messages on the fly, but thinking ahead to add information to the NOAA registration page before you leave.

#224367 - 05/26/11 01:32 PM Re: Search for hiking WA state trooper, used SPOT [Re: clearwater]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
If I read the last part of Mr. Ritter's post correctly on the development of the SEND standard, the manufacturers of PLBs are not innovating in the ability to post emergency information, at least not at the rate of the manufacturer(s) of SPOT type devices. While there is hope for a change, and that hope starts with a recent change in management or leadership of a PLB industry organization, it may end up that SPOT becomes a SEND-compatible device with more communication options (and form factors etc), while PLB devices become less capable (of communicating detailed info) relegated to smaller, regulated markets that require rigorously designed PLBs (ex. Coast Guard specs).

You see this all the time in the technology world - different products make their choices, and take their chances. New markets can be opened up by choosing wisely, or expanding the usefulness, lowering a quality bar, making devices cheaper, or simply making a device easier or more capable to use. Some become every day devices, some become ship's ballast or landfill.

It can't be an easy choice - PLBs have a reputation and a reality for reliability and durability, they are used routinely in life and death scenarios by 'serious' professions, like saltwater fishermen and backwoods outdoorsmen. Ships sink and bears attack - PLB gets activated. SPOT is marketed towards every day users, and one of the biggest criticisms of SPOT is that it actually encourages requests for rescue in situations where rescue is not critical. In terms of the primary market served, PLB manufacturers may consider they have an obligation to maintain their reliability and durability despite the incursion of new demands for communication capability, which could threaten to diminish PLBs (ex. by reducing battery life etc) if implemented in the wrong way.

FWIW I own a second gen PLB from McMurdo, I don't need the enhanced communication capability of a SPOT, I require the more durable PLB, and the form factor works for me. When my battery runs down to expiration though, I'll look at what's available on the market then, or possibly look at newer SEND compatible devices before my battery runs out. Just as I relied upon Doug Ritter's recommendations and reviews for my first 2 PLB purchases, I'll probably look for his advice then too.

Second FWIW, I have a pet peeve about ham radio, why isn't it easier and more accessible to use? It requires a license to use frequencies, which I accept (KE7PWW) - but the handset form factors, programming, intricacies of antenna design etc etc, all scream for far more experience than the typical lay person can or should muster. Yet the absolute usefulness of having a ham radio and the license and nuts to use it is there - you can communicate with others in times of emergency when other means go down. Ordinarily I would look for the development of some future smartphone app that communicates from a phone over ham frequencies, much like smart phones communicating over wireless instead of cell frequencies. Something that simplifies the process of locating available routers in your area. I'd pay for that. I'd even pop a special antenna onto my phone to make those 'calls' over ham frequencies. As it is though, ham radio is most accessible mainly to folks with pocket protectors and a level of technical experience that challenges the likes of me. Anyway, like I say, its just a peeve...

#224370 - 05/26/11 01:58 PM Re: Search for hiking WA state trooper, used SPOT [Re: Lono]
ThinkThink Offline
Stranger

I've followed this story closely.
From my understanding:

1. he felt he was gonna be in trouble due to lost tent, wet bag,horrid weather, etc.
2. he hit the 911 on his brand new SPOT (with brand new batteries)
3. woke up the next morning, SPOT was dead
4. he assumed SPOT didn't work (no helicopters in area + bad weather, etc.)
5. he then made the decision to hoof it as fast as possible to his known destination.

This is a very experienced guy, SF trained, fit and intelligent.
Sounds to me like a good use of SPOT, but he didn't truly beleive it had worked.
He thought another couple nights in a wet sleeping bag, in a blizzard, etc would do him in.
At least pride didn't kill him, as we have seen in other situations.
Glad it ended well.

#224378 - 05/26/11 05:24 PM Re: Search for hiking WA state trooper, used SPOT [Re: Susan]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Originally Posted By: Susan
So, this brings up the question of HOW to signal in poor weather and poor visibility conditions.

As has been said before, you need to prepare for the worst possible conditions, not the best possible conditions.

Sue

Although I still carry the regular tools (whistle, mirror, etc.) the Laser Flare has fast become my go-to tool for being found, especially by aircraft. Doug reviewed the laser flare and his testing indicated that it could be seen by aircraft far further than the aircraft could be seen by a person. My experience (only a dozen or so times at this writing) is that if I can see the helicopter he can see the flare. Even in minimum weather the flare is visible any time you can see the aircraft. Even with radio communication, it makes being picked up MUCH easier. Smoke is popped only when they are close and have seen you without help.

It also makes life much easier for the rescuer if he or she knows what to look for. Your Plan (flight, float or hiking) should include the types of signalling devices you have, much the better to find you.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 610 Guests and 65 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.