Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#223835 - 05/18/11 03:47 PM Re: Search for hiking WA state trooper, used SPOT [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
There are a few more details at another news site.

"He said he had taken a few tumbles and lost the tent that was on his backpack. He had to sleep in a wet sleeping bag in freezing temperatures for two nights."
Trooper found safe

Even so, he was in such good condition that he didn't need to be hospitalized.

And he wasn't traveling light, he had a tent, sleeping bag, food and other gear.

You can contribute to a happy ending by having some gear, knowledge and sense. I'm glad it turned out so well.

Sue

#223844 - 05/18/11 05:49 PM Re: Search for hiking WA state trooper, used SPOT [Re: clearwater]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
This is very good news indeed.

#223847 - 05/18/11 06:40 PM Re: Search for hiking WA state trooper, used SPOT [Re: clearwater]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

As I see more news stories with further detail, I keep wondering: why did he need rescue at all? Apparently he was not injured in any way, and he was on snowshoes, so was he 1) snowed in beyond all ability to move even with snowshoes, or 2) lost?

#223848 - 05/18/11 07:24 PM Re: Search for hiking WA state trooper, used SPOT [Re: clearwater]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
It sounded like he just got lost. The article mentioned him taking a big tumble and losing his tent. Probably got disoriented and couldn't backtrack out.

#223849 - 05/18/11 07:34 PM Re: Search for hiking WA state trooper, used SPOT [Re: clearwater]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Great news!! Being prepared to survive pays off!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#223890 - 05/19/11 03:27 PM Re: Search for hiking WA state trooper, used SPOT [Re: clearwater]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
+100

#223894 - 05/19/11 05:04 PM Re: Search for hiking WA state trooper, used SPOT [Re: clearwater]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
A couple of interesting issues: (1) Was the "search beacon" referenced in the report SPOT or a PLB? (2) The video report in the link above indicated that searchers were working from old fixes from a "search beacon", and that they found him by following tracks from the old fix. Would not either SPOT or a PLB continue to send updated GPS data if either were moved during the activation cycle? Why were the rescuers working from an "old fix". Did the beacon fail or run out of juice?

Quite a bit could still be learned from this successful rescue.

Followup: It appears from a later news article that the beacon was of the SPOT family and that it did stop working possibly from a dead battery. The hiker decided to keep moving after the beacon died in order to say warm. That is why they followed tracks from an old fix. Note to self: if using SPOT, carry extra lithium batteries.

Edited by celler (05/20/11 08:10 PM)

#223905 - 05/19/11 07:56 PM Re: Search for hiking WA state trooper, used SPOT [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
why did he need rescue at all?

I'm getting the impression that he fell into something like a narrow canyon. The snow is probably deeper in a place like that due to being heavily shaded most of the day.

Then, which way should he go? Trudge a few miles in wet snow with rocks hidden underfoot, slip fall, break a bone, get soaking wet, then discover that you went miles in the wrong direction and find yourself in a box canyon?

If you aren't absolutely certain you can get yourself out, why keep pushing? How many rescues and deaths could be blamed on poor judgment and simply going in the wrong direction?

Why? To save face? So the folks here at ETS can point out how dumb you were because you DIDN'T call for help when it would have been a quick fix?

Three-week searches cost more than three-day searches.

Sue

#223908 - 05/19/11 08:39 PM Re: Search for hiking WA state trooper, used SPOT [Re: Susan]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
If you're wet, in snow country, you have no tent, and you have a down sleeping bag, you are in a survival situation.

From the follow up article I read, it sounds like he was hiking out the way he came in when he was found.

Staying put, especially if you've sent out a distress beacon with your coordinates is generally a good idea, but in this case potentially life threatening. Huddled in a wet sleeping bag while you stay put is potentially life threatening. Staying on the move will keep you warm. I might have done the same.

The follow up article stated that he saw helicopters searching for him but that he had no means of signalling them.

A couple of thoughts:
1. A partner (or two) in remote, snowy country ain't such a bad idea.
2. His beacon was worth every penny he paid for it.
3. Make danged sure that essential gear is secured to your pack.
4. Always carry means to signal. I don't know the conditions of the day he was found, but in general a signal mirror is a good means of signalling. A whistle is also good (although not for choppers) wink Maybe flares or signal panels of some sort. Perhaps a smoke creating device. A strobe at night or even your headlamp. Bright, contrasting outer layers are good. Don't forget your backpack. You may or may not be wearing a given outer layer depending on conditions, but you'll almost always be wearing your pack; again, bright contrasting colors are good. Marpat and ACU patterns look cool, but do you really want to be wearing them when you're the subject of a SAR effort?

HJ

#223909 - 05/19/11 08:43 PM Re: Search for hiking WA state trooper, used SPOT [Re: clearwater]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Great point Jim! I'd add a note that keeping some essentials (i.e. PSK) on your person is a smart plan. Even if you lose your pack you'll still have those to help you survive.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.