Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#223663 - 05/15/11 10:13 PM Re: Stranded for 49 days [Re: Susan]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Susan

Chretien and his GPS, working together, get themselves into a real mess. After thinking about it for three days, he decides to follow his ever-trusty GPS AGAIN. And his plan was to go cross-country, rather than just walking out the way they came
Sue

That's bugging me too, Sue. That and the fact that the rescuers are apparently using the exact same model of GPS to try to re-trace his steps.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#223667 - 05/15/11 10:57 PM Re: Stranded for 49 days [Re: bacpacjac]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Susan
You know, this would be the perfect way to murder someone without fear of retribution. People would just think you're really stupid. Murder by GPS.

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

That's bugging me too, Sue. That and the fact that the rescuers are apparently using the exact same model of GPS to try to re-trace his steps.

... so which one is the victim ?

#223686 - 05/16/11 03:05 AM Re: Stranded for 49 days [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I'm not inclined to head in to conspiracy country yet. At least not until they finish the search. I suppose it could be viewed as a perfect storm that's a little too perfect. Time will tell.

- Doug, who foolishly assumes the best in people until they demonstrate otherwise

#223690 - 05/16/11 08:51 AM Re: Stranded for 49 days [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I think we can trust the law enforcement agencies to be appropriately suspicious. It is standard to make inquiries about family stability, etc, even when the focus is on the back country search.

#223696 - 05/16/11 12:20 PM Re: Stranded for 49 days [Re: dougwalkabout]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon

#223697 - 05/16/11 01:01 PM Re: Stranded for 49 days [Re: Susan]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
She didn't sleep through a rough road and getting stuck multiple times, I'll bet money on that. Either this guy is unbelievably stupid and incredibly stubborn, or something else is going on here.

I would have to go with unbelievably stupid and incredibly stubborn. Many modern Homo Sapiens aren't the sharpest tools in the box when it comes to ignoring the voice giving the directions from the magical navigation box.

As more folks become compliant to systems of politically correct eduction, fashion, business, advertising, technology, communications, consumerism and systems of governance the duller the tools become.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (05/16/11 01:02 PM)

#223699 - 05/16/11 01:26 PM Re: Stranded for 49 days [Re: dougwalkabout]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Reminds me of a comment by an Arnhem survivor:
"In battle if you make 1 or 2 major mistakes; you win.
Make 3 or 4: you lose.
We made about 15".
qjs

>A string of five or six really bad decisions is quite typical of >many search and rescue scenarios. People who manage to get about a >third of their choices right usually avoid the clutches of SAR

#223701 - 05/16/11 02:01 PM Re: Stranded for 49 days [Re: quick_joey_small]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I travel with a couple different GPS units, a Garmin Nuvi sits on the dashboard and provides the highway routing, traffic avoidance/optimization and ETA info. I routinely ignore its advice in the local area because I have preferred routes and I like hearing it say "recalculating" smile

The other GPS is a Garmin GPSMAP 60 CSx. It has routing ability but I never use it. It is loaded with terrain maps of the western US in addition to standard highway. It also gives elevation info which for some reason is unavailable on the Nuvi (unlike the GPS V which I used before the Nuvi).

GPS receivers are great for navigation, but you need to know their limitations. I'd never follow the Nuvi offroad.

That said, shortest distance does not equal shortest time; my Nuvi's routing is set for shortest time so it almost always generates a route on highways. (Edit: a Nuvi can be set for shortest distance, but why take the shortest distance if it takes more time??) If it ever put me on a gravel/dirt road, I'd be pulling out the Rand McNally Road Atlas to see where on Earth I was.

I also travel with a PLB.

#223718 - 05/16/11 06:17 PM Re: Stranded for 49 days [Re: NightHiker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Disagree . . I'd put money that the GPS in question was dead accurate until its battery finally died . . the operator just didn't know how to use what it was telling him. He didn't know its limitations and he definitely didn't know his own.

RIP

#223724 - 05/16/11 09:13 PM Re: Stranded for 49 days [Re: NightHiker]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
NightHiker,

I'm not sure I understand. I suspect you are saying you often disagree with the suggested routing a Navigation system is providing.

If you are suggesting that a GPS has provided position data that was off by more than its reported accuracy limits (due to satellite geometry) I would be more concerned.

Hopefully you are saying the former and if so that is something that makes sense to me. Too many people don't use their own thoughts and judgement when following directions. A Navigation system, like most suggested or prepackaged routes, is not meant to be used without taking external information and conditions into account. Unfortunately too many people don't understand that so we get stories about cars turning off the highway and into peoples houses or driving down service road instead of continuing on to the highway just ahead.

-Eric

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.