Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#223365 - 05/11/11 01:39 AM Emergency Alert System for Cel Phones
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
This looks like a great idea:
http://mobile.nytimes.com/article?a=786821&f=21

"cellphone users in New York and Washington will soon be able to receive alerts by text message in the event of a national or regional emergency... Text messages will be sent to customers of participating cellphone companies who are in an area affected by the emergency. "

There's an opt-out option for all but Presedential alerts, and it's a limited roll-out, but it sounds promising. I wonder if older cel phones will be able to opt-in without having to upgrade?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#223379 - 05/11/11 12:07 PM Re: Emergency Alert System for Cel Phones [Re: bacpacjac]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
There's an opt-out option for all but Presedential alerts, and it's a limited roll-out, but it sounds promising. I wonder if older cel phones will be able to opt-in without having to upgrade?

I don't want a government mandated spy chip in my mobile phone to track where I am. I don't need a more efficient way for the terrorists to keep me updated on their latest dastardly plans or a wag the dog style Presidential alert interrupting my situational awareness whilst looking out for bees. wink

#223381 - 05/11/11 12:57 PM Re: Emergency Alert System for Cel Phones [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
Just how different is this from a 911 call center's "reverse 911" capability?

In my county "reverse 911" will only call to homes with the old land line systems.

"Reverse 911" has been used successfully for wild land fire evacuations of neighborhoods/communities.

Blake

www.outdoorquest.biz
www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com

#223383 - 05/11/11 01:58 PM Re: Emergency Alert System for Cel Phones [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Just how different is this from a 911 call center's "reverse 911" capability?

Reverse 911 isn't a mass surveillance technology. To localise the alert Text or Presidential cut in messaging service requires the authority to know where you are located continuously.

The main issue I have is the mass surveillance aspect of the new government mandated chip. The chip will have to interact with the phone OS so that it can over ride it much like non mask able interrupt feature. It will have the ability to end a conversation that you may be having (you could for instance be indicating to the police authorities where exactly a terrorist bomb might be located or saying your final goodbyes to loved ones) to prioritise the government message. i.e. it would be a network government mandated QoS system to ensure governmental communication priorities. i.e. a localised kill switch. It should also be noted that Interweb communications are now used more than voice data.

The other specifications for the built in chip could be even more interesting, such as key word searching from voice recognition (gets around very specific NSA data transmission bandwidth infrastructure issues), voice buffer recording so that conversations can be recording i.e. the last 24 to 72 hrs, much like a black box aviation recorder, location tracking (useful to location stamp the voice recordings), covert recording of audio and video and Internet tracking and recording, data mining and voice and internet kill switching.

There is no data protection legislation for personal information in the USA.

#223385 - 05/11/11 02:08 PM Re: Emergency Alert System for Cel Phones [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
ajax Offline

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

I don't want a government mandated spy chip in my mobile phone to track where I am. I don't need a more efficient way for the terrorists to keep me updated on their latest dastardly plans or a wag the dog style Presidential alert interrupting my situational awareness whilst looking out for bees. wink

Too late.

#223390 - 05/11/11 03:46 PM Re: Emergency Alert System for Cel Phones [Re: bacpacjac]
ajax Offline

My county offers a service through Nixle - http://www.nixle.com/

It's 100% opt-in, it can deliver messages via phone or email. You can tailor it to specific alerts from certain departments or agencies.

I think all government services should offer their citizens this and let them configure what they want or if they want it at all.
If someone wants to bury their head in the sand or refuse to adopt the technology, so be it.

#223392 - 05/11/11 04:17 PM Re: Emergency Alert System for Cel Phones [Re: bacpacjac]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

This is great - will post on it when the service begins. Surprised it took so long.

DC already has for years had a text alert system for "event" notices that I have found very useful -- such as police activity (lots of suspicious package incidents around here that shut streets down), severe weather warnings and transportation disruptions.

#223404 - 05/11/11 09:01 PM Re: Emergency Alert System for Cel Phones [Re: Dagny]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
This is great - will post on it when the service begins. Surprised it took so long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Ogb38vtgM

What is quite interesting in the above link was a fellow stating that the EAS system, which is now to be implemented on personal cell phone equipment would have save many lives during the Tornado storms on the 27th of last month, yet failed to tell inform the viewer that there is already an EAS infrastructure already in place - No Presidential EAS alert has been sanctioned during its 50 year history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Alert_System

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (05/11/11 09:16 PM)

#223450 - 05/12/11 06:07 AM Re: Emergency Alert System for Cel Phones [Re: bacpacjac]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Australia has a similar service which has been in operation since December 2009.

In the current version, a voice message is sent to every land line, and an SMS message is sent to every mobile phone based – this is based on the billing address of the phone. So if the phone was registered to someone in a particular postcode/zip, and an emergency occurs in that area, a message is sent.

In the updated version, I believe the message will be send to all phones which are actually “active” in a particular coverage area ; I’m not sure what the ETA of that is.

There is no requirement for a “special chip”, however in Australia, all phones must be registered and all are digital (GSM or 3G), I’m not sure if that is the difference ?

#223481 - 05/12/11 04:29 PM Re: Emergency Alert System for Cel Phones [Re: bacpacjac]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I read something about this type of system put to use in Japan during the last disaster. There was a mention that when the sensors read the quake, it send the message to a control center at the speed of light (faster than the earth could move), which instantly transferred the info/warnings to the high-speed trains, businesses, all radios, televisions and cell phones.

Sue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.