The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#223595 - 05/14/11 01:14 AM Re: Alternate transportation issues [Re: Susan]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Susan
The trailer hitch is a great idea. The bigger, the better.

Sue

I agree, especially here where people parallel park using their bumpers. mad Only problem is, people love to steal them so find a way to lock it. Thats the only reason I don't keep mine attached all the time.

#223598 - 05/14/11 02:17 AM Re: Alternate transportation issues [Re: Roarmeister]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Friend on mine used to drive an F-250 and live out of a camper that rode in the back. To save gas he would put the camper body on jacks and drive out from under it. This left the hefty steel step-bumper, painted a shocking day-glow red, suspended on heavy steel tubes sticking out about four feet. People tended to give him a bit more room.

#223600 - 05/14/11 02:40 AM Re: Alternate transportation issues [Re: Roarmeister]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
re: rear end collisions....I drive a scooter (Yamaha FJR), and have ridden some form of cycle off and on since I was 14... In the old days, I got into a bad habit of putting the bike in neutral at a stop light to save wear and tear on the clutch throw out bearing, and reduce stretch of the clutch cable... today I leave it in first, and have my eyes fixed on the rear view mirror, until I'm sure the car behind me is going to stop..

#223601 - 05/14/11 04:04 AM Re: Alternate transportation issues [Re: Eugene]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Eugene
A lot of people talk about crash avoidance but when your stopped at a red light and get rear ended you can't really avoid that. Wife was rear ended 4 times in two years all while stopped at red lights each time.

Yep somethings there really is nothing that you can do better to prevent an "accident". One accident was when I was in the far right lane driving through an intersection while some 16-yr old kid decides he can run a stop sign and cross 4 lanes of traffic without hitting anything. I never saw him until he was on me because of a semi parked on the left lane beginning to turn left. My car was totalled after being hit and then pushed into two other vehicles.

2nd was from a fellow backing up and not watching properly. He hit my driver side wheel just enough to require a wheel alignment. I had forgotten about the incident until the other day because it was on the same day my mother passed away.

3rd was when I was in the merge lane and the driver in front of me stopped because she ran out of space to merge so I also had to stop. A self-righteous Joe Blow "with baby onboard" wasn't watching the traffic and ploughed right into me.

4th was when I was driving on a service street and the gal decided to leave a parking lot without stopping at the exit and checking traffic. I hit the gas when I saw her but that only changed the location of the impact to the rear of the vehicle. I strongly suspect she panicked and hit the accelerator instead of the brake. SUV is now in the shop as insurance said I was about $5 short of the value for being totalled... <rolling my eyes>

When I was young, I had a few fender benders but never a serious accident. I took defensive driving a few years ago from the chief driving instructor that used to teach all the RCMP recruits in Canada. While I picked up a few good pointers I never did learn to drive like a cop or a movie stunt driver! smile Learning how to protect yourself, reading the traffic, watching the traffic lights 2 blocks ahead, keeping 2+ seconds between you and the other vehicle, proper seating position, proper use of the hands, proper use of mirrors and knowing the rules of road are all good techniques. None of those particular things would have changed anything in the incidents above but MAY have kept me from being in other accidents!

Anyway, I wish a safe driving Friday the 13th to all of you!

#223614 - 05/14/11 12:24 PM Re: Alternate transportation issues [Re: Roarmeister]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Roar, I watched an OPP cruiser almost get taken-out yesterday while it was responding lights and sirrens. The instinct to pull over to the right and stop trumped a guy's common sense. He didn't look first and nearly took out the cruiser, which was in the curb lane because of heavy frozen traffic in the left. Thank goodness nobody was at the bus stop as he mounted the curb to avoid the collision.

Even flashing lights and blaring sirens can't help you sometimes!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#223618 - 05/14/11 05:11 PM Re: Alternate transportation issues [Re: bacpacjac]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Roar, I watched an OPP cruiser almost get taken-out yesterday while it was responding lights and sirrens. The instinct to pull over to the right and stop trumped a guy's common sense. He didn't look first and nearly took out the cruiser, which was in the curb lane because of heavy frozen traffic in the left. Thank goodness nobody was at the bus stop as he mounted the curb to avoid the collision.

Even flashing lights and blaring sirens can't help you sometimes!

Ever see a cop take out another cop? Silliest thing I've ever seen was one with the lights spinning and sirens ringing, getting t-boned at a major intersection earlier this year. Then a supervisor had to arrive on the scene and sort things out. The female driver who ignored the other vehicle is currently flying a desk while they sort out her career! sick

#223627 - 05/14/11 07:26 PM Re: Alternate transportation issues [Re: Roarmeister]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

A few times I've been stopped at alight and someone stopped behind me bumps my vehicle. No damage but annoying. Typical explanation when I get in their face is 'my foot slipped'.

At regular intervals there is some writeup of cars that will drive themselves. I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand cars driving themselves is kind of scary in a "Christine" and "Terminator" kind of way. On the other hand how much worse could it be when humans can't be trusted to reliably keep their foot on a brake pedal.

#223636 - 05/14/11 09:55 PM Re: Alternate transportation issues [Re: Roarmeister]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Geting back to alternate transportation...

Yesterday, I saw a homemade bicycle ricksaw type of human-powered vehicle.

THIS could be the vehicle of our near future... Transportation and employment bound together.

Sue

#223637 - 05/14/11 11:18 PM Re: Alternate transportation issues [Re: Roarmeister]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm prepared with my bike SUV

#223638 - 05/15/11 12:38 AM Re: Alternate transportation issues [Re: Eugene]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
My son loves that thing, Eugene! Ours is just a one seat though. That looks fun!!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.