Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#223098 - 05/07/11 04:04 AM Re: Alternate transportation issues [Re: dougwalkabout]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Doug's got a good point. Far from thinking lawsuit, sometimes a neck injury presents late and can be much worse than it appears, especially after a high impact collision. Don't do anything physical until you get it checked out. A secondary injury could be much worse. It's not something you want to take a chance with.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#223100 - 05/07/11 04:51 AM Re: Alternate transportation issues [Re: Roarmeister]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
My DW was a victim of hit and run last year. They caught the guy not long after. Her POV was taken to a shop and within a day or two was marked as totaled. Neither insurance covered a rental at that point. We have great ins. He had Safe Auto (not great).

We end up borrowing an extra car from our extended family. It was a junker that I eventually put about $700 back into it before returning it. So yeah, we lost money on that but when the POV was paid out the former car payment became maintenance payment. But it solved our problem for a few months.

We nowhere came close to recouping our financial, emotional and physical losses in that accident. I hope that things work out well for you.

Word of advice. Do not baby or alibi any potential injury. If you suspect whiplash schedule an appointment now. Then when they give you physical therapy do not miss a single session. They give you 10 sessions. Complete 10 sessions. or whatever. If they diagnose a problem and you decide you're too busy to make the appts or start feeling better sooner so you stop going, you are going to kick yourself when you try to settle this for the most amount of money you can.

#223113 - 05/07/11 03:31 PM Re: Alternate transportation issues [Re: Roarmeister]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
The bus system introduced a new method of payment last year - it is a chip card that when read by an e-reader in each bus will automatically debit either the daily fare or the monthly pass. I think I will keep one of these cards loaded and ready for interim use (one more in the BOB) if I ever need to use alternate transporation again. It's convenient and never expires and more likely to be used in case I can never find any change in my pocket! It carries no personal information only the fares and the route numbers.
My local bus has a similar card. It expires after 2 years, though. I have one for convenience (and a 25% discount), but it's not essential in emergencies because the bus driver will give change.

The main thing I've done is find somewhere to live close (but not too close) to where I work. Nowadays I normally drive, but once a week I take the bus in and walk home.

#223131 - 05/08/11 01:00 AM Re: Alternate transportation issues [Re: Roarmeister]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Great idea to keep a re-loadable transit pass handy. A ride from the train station home costs about $3 here but a comparable cab ride is about $15!

#223133 - 05/08/11 01:20 AM Re: Alternate transportation issues [Re: dougwalkabout]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Make sure you have a physician check out the whiplash thing ASAP. It often takes a day or two after an accident to exhibit symptoms. This isn't about cynical lawsuit stuff at all. Insurance companies will pay for physiotherapy and other reasonable treatments given a medical diagnosis.

Did that pronto. I didn't feel the pain and numbness until a few hours after and saw the doc the next morning. X-rays were snapped and Advil swallowed. It takes a few days for the doc to review the pictures but already the sensation is feeling more normal. If problems present themselves later on I want evidence that I can go after the insurance. If necessary they can do MRI's. I've also got coverage at work that covers things like chiropractors and therapy.

#223134 - 05/08/11 01:29 AM Re: Alternate transportation issues [Re: comms]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: comms

Word of advice. Do not baby or alibi any potential injury. If you suspect whiplash schedule an appointment now. Then when they give you physical therapy do not miss a single session. They give you 10 sessions. Complete 10 sessions. or whatever. If they diagnose a problem and you decide you're too busy to make the appts or start feeling better sooner so you stop going, you are going to kick yourself when you try to settle this for the most amount of money you can.

In Saskatchewan we go this thing called no-fault insurance. It means they pay up sooner and with fewer requirements for documentation but the downside if your injury is one of those ghost injuries that is difficult to figure out and you have lasting effects beyond 2 years, they you are hooped because they eliminated the ability to sue the at-fault party! Ah, the benefits and pitfalls of socialized insurance. The insurance cost is cheap (<$1000 for me last year) but then so are the benefits. frown

#223143 - 05/08/11 04:42 AM Re: Alternate transportation issues [Re: Roarmeister]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I hope your insurance company and his insurance company are not the same insurance companies. Somehow, whenever that happens, everyone loses except the insurance company (hardly).

Sue

#223206 - 05/09/11 02:29 AM Re: Alternate transportation issues [Re: Susan]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

This is Saskatchewan. Everybody is mandated to use SGI for base insurance.

#223264 - 05/09/11 08:56 PM Re: Alternate transportation issues [Re: Roarmeister]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Jackie, I wouldn't recommend it, but the original mode of 'alternate transportation' was the thumb.

Sue

#223277 - 05/09/11 11:48 PM Re: Alternate transportation issues [Re: Roarmeister]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I was thinking that just the other day, Sue, as I passed a hitch hiker. Things sure have changed!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.