Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#223911 - 05/19/11 09:15 PM Re: Emergency Radio [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
^ My Optimus from Radio Shack is blue (cat.#12-794), but made in the Philippines. Uses 2xAA (what I try to "standardize" on for availability/price/longevity) and runs for almost ever on a set it seems. Only problem it has is looks, looks like I spilt some heavy DEET on it plus dropped a whole lot... I use this radio every day. All my more modern and small portable gizmos have FM only.

CC Crane has some decent small AM radios, but a little more digital (and pricey) than I exactly had in mind...I specifically didn't want synthesized tuning for "emergency" use.

Edit: OMG, this lady has a ton of the type of radios I actually want, go to the index for amusement. Here's the Clairtone mini e.g., it does in fact have 2 transistors, but is older than she thought. Clairtone was a big Canadian brand in the 60s (maybe before too).
http://www.transistor.org/collection/clairtone/clairtone1.html

Edited by cfraser (05/20/11 03:53 AM)

#223920 - 05/19/11 11:37 PM Re: Emergency Radio [Re: cfraser]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

What would really be useful would be a free Software Defined Radio (SDR) app for the iPhone or iPod;

Something like this;

http://digitalconfections.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=54

But you would need a small SDR front end receiver. Basically Just an RF wideband amplifier, local Oscilator and IF mixer before the IF signal is digitally converted by the audio ADC within the iPhone.

Something like this, but using the iPhone + SDR app instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfdgxZPc2BI

#223985 - 05/20/11 08:07 PM Re: Emergency Radio [Re: buckeye]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Two I know of are CWGet and CWDecoder.

Thanks buckeye for the morse code programs called CWGet and CWDecoder, but unfortunately I couldn't get then to work to well.

#224123 - 05/23/11 02:29 AM Re: Emergency Radio [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
cfraser, yes thats what I meant. Like the old transiter radios. I have one from the early 90's but I haven't found a suitable replacement and I've look high and low for months, including RS, Amazon, radio websites, etc. Everything now is too thick, has all kinds of doo dads on it or not pocket portable. I'm pretty happy with the MINI400 I picked up. I also have a hand crank eton w/ flashlight, etc, so this is a different source for info/music.

Am_Fear, I am trying to move away from digital radio apps for my iPhone, as use for long term preparedness. I've tried Pandora, I Heart Radio and a few others but they suck a tremendous amount of battery and as I've mentioned in other threads, I run and cycle in desert areas that have no cell phone service, ergo, no iPhone radio apps work there. That being said, I have settled on Oo Tunes for my iPhone and use it constantly in cell areas. Every channel I listen to is there and it has police and fire scanners for most major cities including mine.

#224134 - 05/23/11 11:09 AM Re: Emergency Radio [Re: comms]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: comms
cfraser, yes thats what I meant. Like the old transiter radios. I have one from the early 90's but I haven't found a suitable replacement and I've look high and low for months, including RS, Amazon, radio websites, etc. Everything now is too thick, has all kinds of doo dads on it or not pocket portable. I'm pretty happy with the MINI400 I picked up. I also have a hand crank eton w/ flashlight, etc, so this is a different source for info/music.

Am_Fear, I am trying to move away from digital radio apps for my iPhone, as use for long term preparedness. I've tried Pandora, I Heart Radio and a few others but they suck a tremendous amount of battery and as I've mentioned in other threads, I run and cycle in desert areas that have no cell phone service, ergo, no iPhone radio apps work there. That being said, I have settled on Oo Tunes for my iPhone and use it constantly in cell areas. Every channel I listen to is there and it has police and fire scanners for most major cities including mine.

Here's one you might like:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RF-P50-Pocket-Radio-Silver/dp/B00004T1XE/ref=pd_sim_e_1

#224209 - 05/24/11 08:16 AM Re: Emergency Radio [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Elizabeth Offline
Stranger

Loc: California, CA, USA
I also recommend you Grundig FR-200.

Regards,
E-mail: office@world-earthquakes.com
California CA, USA

#225341 - 06/06/11 06:13 PM Re: Emergency Radio [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My smart phone has an fm radio built in - IF I remember to carry headphones...

#225345 - 06/06/11 07:05 PM Re: Emergency Radio [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp
I've had good luck with Freeplay radios. Mine is a slightly older version with no flashlight built in, but it cranks and recharges by solar.

To me, the old Freeplays that are spring-powered are the quintessential "emergency radio" to me. I have the larger table-top model and it has great sound and good reception of AM/FM.

I like them because they don't require alkaline batteries which can leak or have rechargeable NiMH cells sealed inside which eventually self-discharge or wear out (I'm not aware of any radios that use low self-discharge NiMH cells built into them). To me, that's very important since an emergency radio often is stored away for long periods of time without any use or checking on.

The solar panel powers the radio directly during daylight hours, and at night or when there isn't enough bright sunlight, the spring is a tad noisy but works every time. The spring only lasts for roughly half an hour, depending on the volume, but I can live with that.

Unfortunately, Freeplay doesn't make the spring-powered models anymore, it seems. They've replaced that with hand-cranked dynamos and NiMH batteries. Bleh. That said, I do own one of them and have been pleased with it. I just don't consider that my main emergency radio.

Actually, I did see a battered box at a local TJ Max store the other day that had the smaller spring-powered model. Still selling at their original approximately $50, though, so I passed. But this thread has got me thinking about it again, though.

#225425 - 06/07/11 08:59 PM Re: Emergency Radio [Re: Arney]
Carpal Tunnel

I've been quite happy with the portable Eton G3 World Traveller Radio.

http://www.etoncorp.com/upload/contents/307/Grundig_G3_specs_122210.pdf

With Digitally tuned AM/LW/FM-stereo, the complete Shortwave
spectrum with SSB (150-30000 KHz) and the VHF Aircraft band (118-137 MHz) it is quite a good sensitive tuning performer.

It also has an inbuilt AA charger so will charge the 4 AA cells from an external 8V power supply so doesn't need an external battery charger. It also has Line In/Out so can even be connected directly to a solar powered Hi-Fi Amp and Speaker.

#225451 - 06/08/11 02:40 AM Re: Emergency Radio [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
added new power backup for the Grundig FR200

AFLM... purchased the charger you recommended, and with the Goal Zero 7w solar panel, charged 4 AA Sanyo Eneloops from the charge they had when received (one bar on the charger..didn't have a meter)to full charge in about 4 hours of bright sunlight...decided to standardize with the AAs because of the Grundig FR200 which has worked well for many years... was hoping I could run a small 1.5v hobby motor for a fan using light from a Dietz lantern...even tried adding a incandescent Coleman mantle, ala an Aladdin lamp but even with the extra light, didn't work... will try a couple of Peltier modules for thermocouple next...possibly a Sterling or turbine blade to run a fan

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 281 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.