The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#223405 - 05/11/11 09:04 PM Need rechargable AA battery recomendation
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
I recently bought a replacement digital camera. Takes AA batteries (majority of our stuff takes AA). I have had previous rechargables (NiCad, NiMH) and even that old charger that would recharge alkaline....Ok so I'm dating myself....

There are now a variety of rechargables. Can anyone suggest a GOOD one to go with. The camera is used a lot in Ice Rinks so cold may be an issue but only for an hour or 2 max. Majority of time it is warm/hot weather. I'd like a decent run time on the battery. I'm planning on having one set in camera with 1 for back up. I would buy more later if the set is good. I'd rather spend good money now to save later, though I don't want to get too expensive.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Things to avoid completely. Please do not give massive technical data....I'm not an engineer. Good 'field use experience' is more valuable to me. If the 'system' for charging also has multiple ways to 'charge' (ie. 110v, 12v, solar, iGo, USB) even better but 110 v is primary.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#223408 - 05/11/11 10:04 PM Re: Need rechargable AA battery recomendation [Re: CJK]
speedemon Offline
Journeyman

Sanyo Eneloops for the batteries. Seems to be a pretty broad consensus that they are one of the better batteries out there. They are one of the low self discharge NiMH batteries, that won't go dead from sitting in the drawer (well, they will, just not in a month or two, it will take a couple years).

One of the Powerex/Maha chargers would be my choice, though there are probably as good as or better chargers. Couple years ago I had found a pretty comprehensive review of chargers available (how full they were able to charge, how long, how hot they got, explained the charging methods, etc), but I can't for the life of me find it again

#223412 - 05/11/11 10:40 PM Re: Need rechargable AA battery recomendation [Re: CJK]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sanyo also has a new eneloop that is a little lower capacity but has even better cold temperature characteristics.
I have 1650mAH sanyo NiMH from 1999 that I still use in kids toys.
Avoid any fast chargers, those 15 minute battery cookers, with low self discharge nimh you can just carry extras knowing they are always ready. I've taken eneloops that sat for 6 months to a year and ran them through 450+ pictures in our camera, Lithium just under 500 so close enough in performance to make lithium unneeded anymore.
Avoid chargers that charge in pairs, any charger should charge each battery independently. Avoid ones that just trickle charge (take 8 hours or more), charging too slow or too fast isn't best for their health.

Second the recommend on maha.

#223414 - 05/11/11 11:06 PM Re: Need rechargable AA battery recomendation [Re: Eugene]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am another satisfied user of Eneloops - ultimately the cheapest way to go, as well. I agree also with Eugene comments about chargers - avoid the simple ones.

#223416 - 05/11/11 11:33 PM Re: Need rechargable AA battery recomendation [Re: CJK]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Another vote for Eneloops -- have gotten them at Costco.

#223420 - 05/12/11 12:01 AM Re: Need rechargable AA battery recomendation [Re: CJK]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Dunno I tried rechargable sonys and they died in the camera bag NOT inside the camera withen 10 hours before I could use them. That was the first and last time I used um.

#223427 - 05/12/11 01:21 AM Re: Need rechargable AA battery recomendation [Re: CJK]
LED Offline
Veteran

+1 for Eneloops. Just get a good charger that does NOT charge batteries in pairs and does NOT have a charge rate above 1000mA. Trust me, your batteries will last far longer.

#223429 - 05/12/11 01:27 AM Re: Need rechargable AA battery recomendation [Re: CJK]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Eneloops are the only way to go for rechargeable AAs and AAAs.

The charger in the sets sold at Costco charges only in pairs.

High charge rates cook batteries; slower charging is better. Charging in pairs is bad if the two batteries have dissimilar charge states. If you only use them in pairs, it's acceptable in my book to charge them the same way.

Edited by chaosmagnet (05/12/11 01:27 AM)
Edit Reason: clarity

#223433 - 05/12/11 01:46 AM Re: Need rechargable AA battery recomendation [Re: Frisket]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Frisket
Dunno I tried rechargable sonys and they died in the camera bag NOT inside the camera withen 10 hours before I could use them. That was the first and last time I used um.

before low self discharge they did that, the low self discharge fixed that issue.

#223434 - 05/12/11 02:20 AM Re: Need rechargable AA battery recomendation [Re: CJK]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Eneloops are pretty much the top of the heap. I'm very pleased with mine.

I've also had very good luck with Duracell's pre-charged AA/AAA line (white tops, made in Japan). These are widely believed to be rebranded Eneloops. I stock up when they come on sale at $7-8 for a 4-pack.

The value of a single channel, intelligent charger cannot be emphasized too strongly. I have a Powerex/Maha and like its advanced functions. But the one I use most is a Duracell CEF23DX4N with the 12VDC plug; I now have three of these, and they can be had for under $20.

With these good chargers, I am able to revive and use cells written off by others as junk. That's perfect in my belt light, which sees a lot of use. And since I have a 12VDC solar panels set up, I can charge my batts off-grid (and that's mostly what I do every day).

Edited by dougwalkabout (05/12/11 02:22 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.