Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#223472 - 05/12/11 03:12 PM Re: Severe weather in my area, thousands w/o power [Re: Mark_F]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
As far as firearms go, I am not really much of a firearm kind of guy but there is a mossberg pump action shotgun if needed.

Make sure to learn how to use it before you need it. I'll be glad to help you find instruction in your area if you want; PM me your zip code if you do.

Quote:
As I said we have been VERY fortunate. In all of this adverse weather, our home has not been flooded, municipal water has not gone out, and our power has not been off for more than 24 hours at any one time, though admittedly the frequency of the power outages is more than I would like. This most recent one really made me think, and realize that even though we have been lucky up til now, we need to be better prepared for the day our luck finally runs out. Thanks again everyone.

I like the way you think.

#223486 - 05/12/11 04:44 PM Re: Severe weather in my area, thousands w/o power [Re: Mark_F]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I like to keep a coupla big igloo coolers handy - darn useful. Right up there with some buckets and tarps.

#223495 - 05/12/11 06:04 PM Re: Severe weather in my area, thousands w/o power [Re: Mark_F]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
UPS= uninteruptible power supply.

A self contained unit consisting of batteries, battery charger, inverter, and automatic changeover circuitry.

Commonly used between the wall socket and some important electrical load such as a PC.
In case of power failure it will continue to power the load for perhaps 10 minutes.

By use of smaller loads a longer run time may be obtained.

Very large UPS units need installing by a licensed electrician.
Small ones simply need plugging in.

#223542 - 05/13/11 10:35 AM Re: Severe weather in my area, thousands w/o power [Re: Mark_F]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Some lower end UPS's you can't extend the run time without the circuitry overheating, but larger ones you are generally safe.

We just hang lanterns from the ceiling lights, kids think its fun. When we visit Amish country we notice that all the houses belonging to the Amish look juts like our houses now, the only way to tell them apart is at night the Amish will have an LED lantern hanging in the center of the living room instead of the normal lights we are used to. We basically do the same, just hang one up like that.

#223557 - 05/13/11 02:38 PM Re: Severe weather in my area, thousands w/o power [Re: Eugene]
ajax Offline

Originally Posted By: Eugene
When we visit Amish country we notice that all the houses belonging to the Amish look juts like our houses now, the only way to tell them apart is at night the Amish will have an LED lantern hanging in the center of the living room instead of the normal lights we are used to.

Wait, the Amish use LED lanterns?

#223566 - 05/13/11 04:50 PM Re: Severe weather in my area, thousands w/o power [Re: ajax]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
Wait, the Amish use LED lanterns?

There are all kinds of Amish and Mennonites. I believe it is the Old Order Amish who shun modern inventions. I'm not sure what the "New Order" ones are really called, but they use cars, power tools and LED lanterns.

All the ones around here seem to be the "New Order" ones. They have a car repair shop, and a shed-building business with power tools, as well as doing natural farming. They also have their own school, and invite outsiders to visit their (church) meetings. They still wear the plain clothes and the women and girls wear those little net caps, longer dresses and dark stockings. All of them seem like very nice people, and their children are composed and well-mannered.

Sue

#223573 - 05/13/11 05:32 PM Re: Severe weather in my area, thousands w/o power [Re: Mark_F]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Here near us they have LED lanterns, LED lights on their buggies, their schools have solar panels that charge a battery sitting under a desk that poweres the copier for making their papers. Their belief is to not be connected to the outside world. They have the technology but have their own means to sustain it (solar/wind/etc) rather than relying on others.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 516 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.