The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#223386 - 05/11/11 02:12 PM Re: Aluminum pots [Re: Chisel]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I use anodized aluminum both at home every day, and in my daypack. It does not react or put metallic tastes into food like some of the old shiney aluminum pots did. Heres a link to some information.

http://www.only-cookware.com/what_is_anodized_cookware.html

#223389 - 05/11/11 03:21 PM Re: Aluminum pots [Re: hikermor]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Stainless cookware is heavy, strong and cheap; aluminum is light, cheap, and not incredibly strong; titanium is light, strong, and expensive.

Bolded for emphasis is mine. When you say stainless steel is cheap, you mean relatively I assume? As in compared to Titanium? I only ask because a few years ago I got a deal on two stainless steel mess kits that were on clearance at a big box store. They were replaced by aluminum mess kits that were about the same price point. Upon searching around trying to find a third stainless set (I don't like the aluminum sets in spite of the weight savings), the price was double what I paid for the clearance sets and what the current rate is on the aluminum sets. I am just too much of a cheapskate for my own good I guess. Probably a big reason why I have not shelled out for any titanium gear to date.

#223396 - 05/11/11 05:30 PM Re: Aluminum pots [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Light, strong, cheap - pick any two.
lol. Yep, that's about the size of it.

HJ

Anodized aluminum doesn't fit in to the quote. It's more expensive than ordinary aluminum but not as expensive as titanium. It's stronger than ordinary aluminum and similar in durability to steel. It is not as light as ordinary aluminum because the cookware tends to be thicker than aluminum pots.

In short it middling of all three adjectives. I use it and love it. It cleans out really well. My 8" fry pan is non-stick as well but it's only big enough for 1 or 2 pan fish. (2 sets of GSI cooksets and 1 GSI fry pan)

#223409 - 05/11/11 10:21 PM Re: Aluminum pots [Re: Roarmeister]
speedemon Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister

Anodized aluminum doesn't fit in to the quote. It's more expensive than ordinary aluminum but not as expensive as titanium. It's stronger than ordinary aluminum and similar in durability to steel. It is not as light as ordinary aluminum because the cookware tends to be thicker than aluminum pots.

In short it middling of all three adjectives. I use it and love it. It cleans out really well. My 8" fry pan is non-stick as well but it's only big enough for 1 or 2 pan fish. (2 sets of GSI cooksets and 1 GSI fry pan)

The annodizing process itself is not adding significant thickness to the aluminum (~.005" thick at the most). As for strength, the anno will only increase scratch resistance, and the weight gain will will not be measurable. The only reason an annodized pan would be stronger/thicker/heavier is because it was built that way, the annodizing would have no effect.

#223422 - 05/12/11 12:05 AM Re: Aluminum pots [Re: Chisel]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I prefer stainless but Anodized aluminum is my second choice. Apparently The anodizing gets rid of a bunch of the concerns with aluminum. Just Dont let anodized rub to anodized, its a quick way to loose the finish, Just ask my two streamlights i had in one pocket </3.

Edited by Frisket (05/12/11 12:05 AM)

#223492 - 05/12/11 05:18 PM Re: Aluminum pots [Re: Chisel]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I was told years ago that the aluminum we use daily isn't really pure aluminum, it's mixed with other metals. And there are minerals in the water, and in the foods we cook. With all those mixes of minerals, some are sure to react with some of the others.

The guy that told me this (a machinist) also said not to worry about it: if I'm not vomiting within five minutes of eating out of it, it can't be too poisonous.

Sue

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 426 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.