Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#226867 - 06/28/11 07:42 PM Re: Pen and paper [Re: boomtown]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Originally Posted By: boomtown
I carry recycled Tyvek envelopes in my pack. They are waterproof and can be written on with pencil or Sharpie markers. <snip>

Oh, I really like that idea! I get tons of stuff in Tyvek envelopes. Plus I EDC a sharpie (dual ended one).

Thanks..

Nomad

#228084 - 07/19/11 11:57 PM Re: Pen and paper [Re: boomtown]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: boomtown
I carry recycled Tyvek envelopes in my pack.

Excellent recycling. There may be other everyday items which could be re-used too .... I'm looking around the office but can't see anything at the moment. I'll look more thoughtfully at the next package I see.

JBMat and Art_In_Fl comments about laminate (I use laminate off cuts in the shed as a whiteboard/scratch pad)caused me to remember that, years ago, I made a diving slate out of PVC pipe.

I took a large diameter pipe (approx 90mm / 3inch) and cut a section about 90mm long. So now I had as small section of pipe. Then I cut the pipe into approx 3 vertical sections so i ended up with 3 curved sections of white PVC pipe. Finally attached some velcro straps to the top and bottom and I had an instant diving slate on a wrist band.

#228108 - 07/20/11 07:04 PM Re: Pen and paper [Re: Aussie]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Originally Posted By: Aussie

I took a large diameter pipe (approx 90mm / 3inch) and cut a section about 90mm long. So now I had as small section of pipe. Then I cut the pipe into approx 3 vertical sections so i ended up with 3 curved sections of white PVC pipe. Finally attached some velcro straps to the top and bottom and I had an instant diving slate on a wrist band.

Way cool. I now have to figure out how to use one for something else. What a cruel thing to do to me....

#228140 - 07/21/11 09:53 AM Re: Pen and paper [Re: NightHiker]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
I do a lot of solo outings - hiking/backpacking, fishing, hunting, and just getting out in general. One of standard phrases that I include on the info sheet I leave with my wife is "will leave written details at last campsite/waypoint if deviating from plan". For those notes I use a Write-in-the-Rain notepad and fine tip Sharpie with a pencil as a backup.
...snip

I bought a bunch of the fine tip sharpie pens to use for EDC but every last one of them started leaking badly at the tip. Luckily the cap kept the ink contained.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

#228154 - 07/21/11 06:05 PM Re: Pen and paper [Re: NightHiker]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Not with genuine SharpieŽ brand ones. I use their CD markers that have a fine tip at one end and a standard tip on the other. I also keep mine stored upright with the fine tip end up so that may have something to do with it.

Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like they did fine for you. Mine were stored in my laptop bag and in the center console of my car; absolutely not climate controlled or stationary. They were genuine Sharpie brand. Oh well, evidently they just don't travel well.

#228206 - 07/22/11 03:20 AM Re: Pen and paper [Re: TeacherRO]
sotto Offline
Addict

If I can't write with a traditional fountain pen then I don't write, period. I'm old and a curmudgeon. And I don't care if it's not permanent. I'm OLD. ;-)

#228226 - 07/22/11 07:10 PM Re: Pen and paper [Re: Art_in_FL]
WolfBrother Offline
Stranger

Loc: Austin, Tx
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Stay awake for seventy-two hours and you will learn to write instructions down and work them step-by-step checking each action off AFTER you complete it.

Verbal instructions don't work well when everyone is exhausted because short-term memory evaporates and they forget the first step before you finish telling them the second. So you write instructions down and have them work the list.

Lack of food, water, stress, and pain make this problem worse.

A small notebook, typically a 3by5 flip-top, is your brain in the field. You have lists of standard SOPs, times, places, frequencies, call signs, mission priorities, notes on the route you took and shorthand reminders of alternatives. You don't rely on memory for anything of consequence.

Gee, sounds like you went to Ranger school.

WB
RLTW

#233397 - 10/08/11 04:48 PM Re: Pen and paper [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Target carries a nice faux moleskin in the home office dept. $5-6

#233488 - 10/10/11 04:51 PM Re: Pen and paper [Re: TeacherRO]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I was on Indestructables not long ago. Guy game up with a pretty neat mod on the smaller moleskine notepads.

Requirements

pencil or stick pen to fit the length of the notepad.
Duct tape. preferably close to matching color of notepad.

Steps

Sharpen pencil to fit length spine of moleskine notepad. Or file off the extra body of the stick pen. Use glue to close off ink tube.

Pull 2 equal length strips of duct tape that measures same as moleskine spine. Rip one piece lengthwise in half. Place one of these half width strips length wise over the pencil with the sticky side facing away from the pencil. Discard other half strip.

Place pencil length wise along spine, the excess tape will lay flat along the front and back of the notepad.

Place second (full sized) piece of duct tape over the first, sticky side down, slick side up. This will stick to the first piece and have extra on each side to attach to the notepad.

The piece of tape facing the pencil will be slick, as will the piece on the outside. You can now slide the pencil in and out of the pocket it created along the spine.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.