The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#223227 - 05/09/11 11:35 AM Re: Laceration Remedies [Re: bacpacjac]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Lots of "remedies" have been shown in the medical books over time. A few of them remain in use after testing. Review "The Barefoot Doctor" for lots of useful ideas or the Wilderness Medical Society practice handbook for those that have shown clinical usefulness. One that is used regularly by the medical profession (especially dentists) is a tea bag for reducing bleeding. Open wounds like those from oral surgery can be helped by a tea bag. I carry one in all my first aid kits, for a warm drink and to stop bleeding (or for ME when waiting for transport -- with the honey I carry also). Well vetted by clinical practice, it is one I highly recommend.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#223228 - 05/09/11 11:54 AM Re: Laceration Remedies [Re: bacpacjac]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Clean the wound thoroughly. Use clean water (boiled) or even urine (which is sterile). Do not close the wound unless you need to to stop the bleeding. If you are not closing it under sterile conditions, it is easier to keep clean and prevent infection if it is open. it should be covered with the most sterile or cleanest bandaging material available to prevent more contamination from getting in.

The ancient Egyptians used honey to cover wounds and it is effective. Bacteria does not grow in honey, some honey was found in a jar in an ancient tomb (more than 2000 years old) and it was still edible.

#223238 - 05/09/11 02:49 PM Re: Laceration Remedies [Re: gonewiththewind]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Depends on the honey:

"Antibiotic resistance among microbes urgently necessitates the development of novel antimicrobial agents. Since ancient times, honey has been used successfully for treatment of infected wounds, because of its antibacterial activity. However, large variations in the in vitro antibacterial activity of various honeys have been reported and hamper its acceptance in modern medicine." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18433338

#223242 - 05/09/11 04:48 PM Re: Laceration Remedies [Re: dweste]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
(Dweste, this not in answer to your post, you were last to post)

Honey will not kill all bacteria, mainly spore forming organisms such belonging to the genus Clostridium (i.e. Clostridium botulinum) will remain viable in their static state indefinitely. Hence warnings not to not to feed raw (unpasteurized) honey to infants under one year of age. In the intestinal tract, the spores of C. botulinum will enter what is called the vegetative phase, this is the stage where the bacteria can reproduce and produce the toxins causing botulism. Generally, infants do not have enough good bacteria in their intestinal tracts to prevent the C. botulinum from reproducing and thus develop botulism. Individuals who are immune-suppressed (i.e. on chemotherapy or other genetic causes) and infants should not consume raw honey or have raw honey placed on any wound.

Pete

#223833 - 05/18/11 02:59 PM Re: Laceration Remedies [Re: bacpacjac]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
FWIW:

Here is a bit more information about the use of sugar as a readily availble antibiotic. This was mentioned earlier in the thread but its something I find interesting because sugar is readily available and easy to maintain in my emergency stores.

Although the article heavily recommends PI in addition to the sugar, there is a particularly relevant passage explaining the mechanism through which sugar works, and how it must be used carefully to avoid the reverse effect:

"Since the effect of granulated sugar upon bacteria is based upon osmotic shock and withdrawal of water that is necessary for bacterial growth and reproduction, this diluted syrup has little antibacterial capacity and may aid rather than inhibit bacterial growth.

So to continually inhibit bacterial growth, the wound is cleaned with water and repacked at least one to four times daily (or as soon as the granular sugar becomes diluted) with more solute (sugar) to "reconcentrate" the aqueous solution in the environment of the bacteria. "

#223845 - 05/18/11 05:59 PM Re: Laceration Remedies [Re: clarktx]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: clarktx
FWIW: Here ...

So to continually inhibit bacterial growth, the wound is cleaned with water and repacked at least one to four times daily (or as soon as the granular sugar becomes diluted) with more solute (sugar) to "reconcentrate" the aqueous solution in the environment of the bacteria. "[/i]

Doesn't that sound like fun?

#223851 - 05/18/11 07:37 PM Re: Laceration Remedies [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Cool info on sugar. Thanks Clark! PI is Potassium? Would want to get confused with potassium permangante. I understand that in the right quantities, that mix (with sugar) will create a bunch of heat.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#223853 - 05/18/11 07:57 PM Re: Laceration Remedies [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
povidone-iodine

#223865 - 05/18/11 11:28 PM Re: Laceration Remedies [Re: bacpacjac]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Couldn't you do the same thing with black pepper or salt?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#223873 - 05/19/11 12:34 AM Re: Laceration Remedies [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Black pepper seems to work really well on smaller cuts. Honestly I'm not adventurous enough to try it on something that needs stitches. I'd rather just go get proper stitches.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.