The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#223137 - 05/08/11 04:15 AM Re: Laceration Remedies [Re: bacpacjac]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Instant Mashed Potatoes(Plain) worked for me,When I had a Worm-drive saw chase after my leg,created an Instant Clot,& Probably kept me from bleeding out,Regardless of what Experts say,Those Instant mashed potatoes are quite Sterile! My Mother applied honey to 2nd degree burns on my back& shoulders for the duration of a Whole summer,When the hospital I was taken to,failed to Act accordingly & put me through some serious sessions of Torture,causing infection,etc.The honey amazingly caused me to Scab up & Heal,as opposed to the hospital apllying dressings,peeling them off,cleaning the wounded area,more dressings,over&over&over-broken record,Anyway's Plain Instant Mashed Potatoes & Honey are Good Remedies,Regardless of how many moons have passed since!

#223139 - 05/08/11 04:31 AM Re: Laceration Remedies [Re: bacpacjac]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I've never heard that tobacco had any antiseptic properties.

Rooster Cogburn seemed to think it was good for snakebite, but what did he know?

I would use plain soap and water before I used tobacco. It just sounds icky.

Sue

#223182 - 05/08/11 11:02 PM Re: Laceration Remedies [Re: bacpacjac]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
This may be a minority report.

Of course, the first and best remedy is to not need a remedy. In other words, avoid lacerations.

Second, hominids have been getting lacerated and healing for a very, very long time without any particular intervention. My father, a Harvard trained vascular surgeon who served stateside during Korea in various surgical posts, insisted the best thing for a small cut was to rub clean dirt into it. He always said this was part of his medical training; the dirt stopped excessive leakage, blocked outside contamination, and stimulated the immune system. [Take a moment and imagine my childhood.]

Third, if the laceration involved the cut getting contaminated with something you are worried about, then the rinsing / laving / washing with any clean, water-based solution seems in order.

Fourth, if the cleaned laceration gapes open, then it invites contamination and should be covered if small and both closed and covered if big. Coverings and closures should be as clean as circumstances allow.

Fifth, if a laceration becomes infected, then it should be easy to uncover and open to wash out the bad stuff. If you see a medical type, they almost always like to re-open a significant laceration as part of their treatment. Covering and sealing technology that makes it a pain to uncover or open the laceration would seem counter-indicated.

Sixth, unless you know what you are doing and are up on the latest knowledge, dosing a laceration with any substance, "natural" or commercial, is questionable. It is good if it invokes a placebo effect and does provide something for your first professional care-giver to enjoy washing out while watching your reaction to see if your pain receptors have been compromised.

The last studies I looked at found the antibiotic effect of honey to be minimal or non-existent, but you should check for yourself.

Edited by dweste (05/08/11 11:05 PM)

#223189 - 05/09/11 12:13 AM Re: Laceration Remedies [Re: dweste]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Why is it that "rubbing a small laceration wit dirt" never made it into first aid manuals?

#223191 - 05/09/11 12:32 AM Re: Laceration Remedies [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Dirt is definitely not something I would have thought of!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#223193 - 05/09/11 12:49 AM Re: Laceration Remedies [Re: dweste]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Hey D,I didn't see Honey mentioned as an Antibiotic through out this thread,I mentioned it as a Remedy because it worked for me!Dirt is used for the Youngin's to play in,So they develop the proper Antibodies within their Immune system.Where are you getting your Clean dirt from?The way I see it,Either it's clean or it's dirty,there is No Inbetween!:)

Edited by Richlacal (05/09/11 12:49 AM)

#223203 - 05/09/11 02:20 AM Re: Laceration Remedies [Re: bacpacjac]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I don't know for sure but the concept of rubbing in dirt may be throwback to pre-germ theory concepts. A term from the time was "laudable pus". Describing the normality of wounds getting infected and the idea that a bit of inflammation and infection was a good sign. As, I suppose, an alternative of sepsis, gangrene and fever that kills.

#223204 - 05/09/11 02:25 AM Re: Laceration Remedies [Re: Art_in_FL]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

My dad kept up with medical journals throughout his practice and into retirement; he died a little over a year ago. Of course, come to think of it, I often connected my dad and the idea of things throwback.

Edited by dweste (05/09/11 02:26 AM)

#223209 - 05/09/11 02:48 AM Re: Laceration Remedies [Re: bacpacjac]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Rereading my comment it is clear it might be taken as an insult to your father. I didn't mean it that way. Sorry.

#223216 - 05/09/11 06:34 AM Re: Laceration Remedies [Re: Art_in_FL]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Rereading my comment it is clear it might be taken as an insult to your father. I didn't mean it that way. Sorry.

I did not take it that way! Art, I have followed your posts for some time and remain impressed with the quality of your contributions. I would not lightly conclude you intended anything unkind - but thanks.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.