The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#197073 - 03/03/10 12:06 PM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: ]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
He mostly did that just for testing purposes. He primarily uses multi-tools. He's seen most times using the Leatherman Wave and the Victorinox Spirit.

As it stands now I have 14 Swiss Army Knives, 5 Multi-Tools, 3 Fixed Blades and 22 Folders.

And yet like Scafool said I find myself using the same two 90% of the time. Leatherman "New Wave" and the Benchmade "Ritter RSK Mk. 1 Griptilian."

Is that all? grin
Your practically knifeless..... grin grin grin

#197079 - 03/03/10 03:32 PM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: MDinana]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
Originally Posted By: MDinana
After fighting it for years, I finally dropped $14 on a Mora from Sportsman's Guide (they had a 2 knife set).

I actually picked up the same set. Actually I got 4 (2 sets), and put one in each car. They are cheap enough to sit there forever and never be used. The plastic sheath is lousy but is functional and will keep you from getting your finger cut when you put your hand in the glove box at night smile

I mostly have multitools... most recently a skeletool (the built in carabiner is a huge improvement in portability/accessibility). But I didn't have any fixed blades outside the kitchen.

I've decided that Moras are a wonderful start for fixed blade use.

#197091 - 03/03/10 06:16 PM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: clarktx]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
I agree with the idea of a MORA or similar for on an auto or BOB kit.They are good enough quality at a low price for a knife you hope to never use.Lets face it,we prepare for emergencies but hope they do not occur...

BOATMAN
John

#197098 - 03/03/10 08:18 PM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: boatman]
LED Offline
Veteran

Just noticed Mora makes a clipper with a half-serrated blade. Sharpening would be a PITA, but it'll make quick work of most any rope.

#197215 - 03/04/10 06:50 PM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: LED]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
I don't know why people think they need a serrated blade to cut line(rope to you land lubbers).I spent four years on board a ship in deck department.No one used a serrated blade because you needed special gear to sharpen them.If you like them and are comfortable with them thats OK.I just think that they are to hard to maintain in a limited resourced environment.A non-serrated blade can be sharpened with a smooth rock if needed.JMHO,YMMV,etc.etc.....

BOATMAN
John

#197217 - 03/04/10 07:03 PM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
It's amazing how many people equate pacifist with coward. Most of those stretcher bearers and corpsmen/medics were insanely brave.

#197221 - 03/04/10 08:02 PM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: boatman]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Tension on the line is a lot more significant that the configuration of the blade edge. Any decently sharp knife can cut line just fine.

Aren't there two ropes aboard (sailing) ships - bolt ropes and man ropes? digging way back into my trivia for that one....

#197231 - 03/04/10 09:01 PM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: hikermor]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
I seem to remember that lines that have not been used/assigned to a purpose are technically 'rope' if over a certain size, and are small stuff if under
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#197246 - 03/04/10 11:57 PM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
It's amazing how many people equate pacifist with coward. Most of those stretcher bearers and corpsmen/medics were insanely brave.

Sorry to wander off topic a bit but I recently read a book called "Doc" which contains numerous first hand accounts of the actions by US medics and corpsmen over nearly 100 years from WWI thru the actions in Iraq and Afganistan. Authors are Mark Littleton and Charles Wright.

It appears to be out of print so if you're interested in reading please PM me and I'll be happy to loan it out. If there's signifcant interest I'll add it to the lending library here.

Andy

#197286 - 03/05/10 08:37 AM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: hikermor]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Tension on the line is a lot more significant that the configuration of the blade edge. Any decently sharp knife can cut line just fine

Sure they can - but a serrated knife will saw through those fibers a little more efficient. And it will do so even if it is slightly dull. A slightly dull plain edge is a real pain to cut with. Face it, a lot of people don't sharpen their knives as often as they should.

I'm no fan of serrated knives (I hate them, as a matter of fact), but let's give credit where credit is due.

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.