The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#222976 - 05/05/11 01:00 PM Soto Muka Stove (OD-1NP) Video Review
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
I haven't done one of my stove reviews for a while (busy etc.), but here's a video review I shot of the new, high-tech Muka Stove (OD-1NP) from Japan. The Muka is an atomizing white gasoline stove. The Muka uses fairly high pressure combined with an air intake to create a "mist" of air and gasoline that a) does not require priming and b) burns very cleanly and hotly.

Also, according to Soto, the Muka will burn on unleaded automotive gasoline just as well as it will burn on white gasoline.

Anyway, have a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSU_MTWPlJs

HJ

#222982 - 05/05/11 01:52 PM Re: Soto Muka Stove (OD-1NP) Video Review [Re: Hikin_Jim]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thanks for a very thorough look at this new stove. I must admit I am really put off by the amount of pumping required. For the price of the stove ($170 by the time you purchase the required bottle), I (cheap type that I am) would expect it to be self assembling and self cooking, with a built in alarm to awake me when breakfast is ready...

#223003 - 05/05/11 08:20 PM Re: Soto Muka Stove (OD-1NP) Video Review [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
On the plus side, it is a compact, lightweight, super-hot stove. I don't know of any other liquid fueled backpacking stove with this kind of output including an XGK, Omnifuel, or Nova.

I guess the time to pump and light on a Muka is about the same time as to pump, prime, and light on a typical liquid fueled stove. The pay off with the Muka is much higher output, and it's very clean burning. It'd also be nice in a tent not to have the potential fireball associated with priming a liquid fueled stove.

It's very nicely made. Their pump beats the heck out of an MSR pump in terms of build quality. They also say that unleaded auto gasoline can be burned just a cleanly as white gas, a valuable feature if true. I didn't have the opportunity to do long term testing with unleaded.

The air purge feature is also nice. If you've ever dribbled white gas out of a stove's fuel line after disconnecting, you'll appreciate the purge feature.

HJ

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.