Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2228 - 10/23/01 09:15 PM EDC absolutes
Anonymous
Unregistered

What gear do you carry everyday and everywhere? Is there ever a minimum that you feel secure with? How do you carry it? I'm never really satisfied with my set up. It changes almost everyday. I wish I could figure out what the basics should be and then stick with it.

#2229 - 10/24/01 01:51 AM Re: EDC absolutes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Swiss army champ carried in leatherman sheath.(less ofensive to the uneducated) Ken Onion Scallion in pocket. Spydercard in wallet. Put it in there months ago, never used it but it's there. On key chain: swiss-tech utili-key, white Photon II. If I'm going to traval for the day or go to work I carry a little ditty bag containing: Blackie collins buddy knife, leatherman micra, letherman wave, Small amount of par-cord, 10 feet of duat tape, bandanna, Princeton Tec Blast, small pack of aniseptic, bandaids,dog tag style neck lanyard, 3' of black leather thong, small bobbin of fish line and dental floss, Half a magnisium fire starter, mini bic, swiss army mini tool chest, photon I red covert (long battery life) 3 safty pins, small button compass ( From a Dakota watch, very dependable). 3" hack-saw blade, mini dyad. Suprisingly it all fits into a 7"x5" ditty bag. also a little extra cash and a cell phone. I may be to the extreme, but i don't care, It takes no energy to carry.

#2230 - 10/24/01 04:31 AM Re: EDC absolutes
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think that greatly depends on what you do "everyday". If you're a farmer you have quite a bit more leaway(sp) conserning your daily carry than say a broker on Wall St. who would have more freedom than someone who takes comercial airlines on a regular basis.<br><br>Basic guidelines for me include a knife, Photon III flashlight, cell phone, paper, pen, and spare calling card, cash, and MTA card (for subway) when in the city. When away with the military I also ad a Leatherman Wave, first aid kit, and PSK (similar to many outlined here)

#2231 - 10/24/01 04:46 AM Re: EDC absolutes
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I like to compare being 'prepared' to the "when disaster strikes" documentaries. It usually takes a combination of small human errors coupled with minor equipment failures to combine into one big problem. IE. the O rings on the Space Shuttle would only fail in certain temperatures, and Human error pushed the envelope. Our equipment may indeed have ommissions, but what we do have may "soldier thrue". Id rather have a premium sleeping bag in the arctic over a knife to fight off Polar bears, and a photonll over compass in a darkened building. I always have a knife, twin pocket tins ( general and first aid) on my person ( even got them concealed in a tuxedo!) and a supply of water at hand.

#2232 - 10/24/01 09:00 AM Re: EDC absolutes
jet Offline
Enthusiast

Gatekeeper,<br><br>You said:<br>"I'm never really satisfied with my set up. It changes almost everyday. I wish I could figure out what the basics should be and then stick with it."<br><br>I think you're way ahead of the game as it is. I don't feel that you or anyone should ever stop examining alternatives to their gear, whether daily carry or otherwise. I know I haven't. Even Doug updated his mini tin recently. Keep changing what you carry, and you'll keep improving what you carry. Stop, and you'll stop. :-)<br><br>Also, to me, "Daily Carry" includes my vehicle and the two places I spend most of my daily time... home & office. I keep bigger, heavier and more gear in those places than I can carry on my person, and I'll still have access to at least one of those caches most of the time as I go through my days & my regular life.<br><br>As for what I carry... too much. :p I don't suggest anyone carry as much crap as I do. I'm just eccentric. I've already delineated my regular stuff in a number of other threads and feel silly reciting it all again. If you care, you can check here, here and here. Is there a minimum I feel secure with? Yeah. Like I say, it takes quite a bit for me to feel happy, actually. And every time I use any of it, I feel all warm and fuzzy all over again, and reaffirm that it's all worth it. How do I carry it? All over. I consider my clothing part of my equipment. The "gear" part of my gear I mostly just carry in my pants pockets. I've found ways to load my pockets so the stuff I carry is comfortable and stays where I put it, though it does create bulges. When I go swimming or jogging, I put it in a fanny pack. I don't mind. I love having my gear with me when I need it!

#2233 - 10/24/01 12:26 PM Re: EDC absolutes
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
What makes me feel comfortably prepared is much less than the airlines will let us carry now. But that's another rant.<br><br>Weekdays:<br><br>LF pocket: Leatherman PST, bottle of prescription headache meds, money wallet.<br>RF pocket: Mini Fox 40 whistle attached to a white Photon II, Princeton Tec Blast, Suunto Comet compass/thermometer, ID wallet.<br>LR pocket: Comb, Swiss-Tech MicroPlus, Spyderco Cricket.<br>RR pocket: Mini MagLite (2 AAA batteries), red and turquoise Photon IIs, chrome bullet-style space pen, lip balm.<br>Belt: Victorinox CyberTool 34 in a nylon sheath.<br>Jacket: Wireless phone, 550 paracord, 2x3-inch StarFlash signal mirror, Princeton Tec 20, mini-first aid kit, keys with Swiss-Tech Utili-Key.<br><br>Weekends:<br><br>Vic CyberTool goes into LF pocket, replacing Leatherman PST. Leatherman Wave or Vic SwissTool R/S goes on belt.<br><br>Now you know why my pants are always trying to fall down. Grin.<br>

#2234 - 10/24/01 12:53 PM Re: EDC absolutes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, it seems to be a ritual that everyone tell what drags thier pants down at least once, so why not....<br><br><br>-left pocket: Good luck charm, small bottle of tylenol<br>-Left hip, in horizontal sheath: Leatherman Supertool, Minimaglight, EMT shears, 2 spare AA batteries<br>-left rear pocket: wallet with assorted ID, some cash, a few band-aids, 2"x2" heavy duty aluminum foil square<br>-right right pocket: pocket notebook with a pencil stub in the spiral<br>-right front pocket: pencils, pens, a small tube of strike anywhere matches dipped in laquer and a cut down sparkler, pocket change<br>-watch pocket: Leatherman Micra<br>-clipped to belt loop: keyring with modified mini-Fox 40 whistle, CPR shield w/ nitrile gloves<br>-dog tags w/ red allegy tags, small aluminum tube with more matches, striker from a magnesium firestarter<br><br>I usually wear a heavy-duty leather belt and work boots, with a small boot knife carried in the right boot most of the time.<br><br>In my coats I carry a pocket kit (one in each, so I can't forget) and a pair of light leather gloves. If I'm going to be in the woods, a 5" .357 and 2 speedloaders go on my right hip, along with a Ka-Bar. If I'm not around the house at night, depending in the level of discomfort I'm feeling, either a KelTEc P-32 or a Browning Hi-Power goes inside my waistband.<br><br>That is the bare minimum, to the point that when I go to bed at night, the stuff from my pants goes into my bath robe (got locked out of my college dorm room once after a fire drill becuase I forgot my keys). <br>

#2235 - 10/24/01 01:29 PM Re: EDC absolutes
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>What gear do you carry everyday and everywhere?<<<br><br>Jeez, the question is too broad. I don’t carry anything to bed or into the shower (there are a few items in and behind the nightstand), or, most of the time, inside the house. When I go running in the mornings, I carry a 4 oz. titanium folder, a 4.5 oz. cell phone, and a door key, and that’s already too much weight. If I’m going out, I have a few items in my pockets- folder, lighter, flat items in wallet, couple of things on the key chain, cell phone, Palm. Commuting, long trips with or short trips without my own vehicle, I grab a shoulder pouch that mostly has current reading, notebooks and miscellanious electronics, but also my “urban escape” kit and other items that vary somewhat with season. Day hiking, still another kit, boating, still another kit. There’s a kit and odds and ends in my vehicle, so I generally don’t grab the pouch to drive to the bank, grocery store, or restaurant, though again, I have my usual pocket litter...<br><br>The problem I have is that the restrictions and demands vary too much. What I want on the water is not what I want on a day hike, and fish hooks, snares and signal mirrors are not much use downtown. Even just downtown, if I’m going into government buildings, I can’t carry a knife, metal tin, or anything remotely suspicious, but if I’m going downtown and NOT into a government building, I certainly want my full urban escape kit. Downtown, I can’t carry a knife over 3 inches, but outside of the city I often do. I haven’t flown since 9/11, but even then it was a pain, reconfiguring the carry items- now it must be a nightmare. If I had unlimited resources, I could probably use 20 different kits, not just 3 or 4. As it is, I’m afraid to seal even one.<br><br>>>Is there ever a minimum that you feel secure with?<<<br><br>Are you kidding? These days, there isn’t even a MAXIMUM I feel secure with. :-)

#2236 - 10/24/01 06:07 PM Re: EDC absolutes
jet Offline
Enthusiast

>>Is there ever a minimum that you feel secure with?<<<br><br>Are you kidding? These days, there isn’t even a MAXIMUM I feel secure with. :-)<br><br>LOL!

#2237 - 10/24/01 06:30 PM Re: EDC absolutes
Anonymous
Unregistered

EXCELLENT! Keep it coming. Thanks A BUNCH! Once I take another inventory, I'll let you people see what I carry and ask you to pick it apart.

#2238 - 10/24/01 06:57 PM Re: EDC absolutes
pteron Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK
Left pocket: key ring with green photon III, white photon III, mini fox 40, SAK Classic, suunto clip on compass, sterling sharpener, flint wrapped in duct tape, traser glow ring (helps me find it in the dark!)<br>Right pocket, small wood inlay Sebenza<br>On the belt, Leatherman Wave<br><br>

#2239 - 10/25/01 06:03 PM Re: EDC absolutes
Anonymous
Unregistered

What's my minimum daily carry?<br><br>I like to travel light. My minimum for everyday (around the house, office or town) is usually a knife and flashlight. Recently it's been:<br>1) Victorinox Huntsman SAK<br>2) Photon II, white<br>Both in left front pocket (only pocket left after carrying wallet, Palm, keys, change, etc.).<br><br>But I'd like to upgrade those to:<br>1) Leatherman Juice S2;<br>2) Photon 3, white, crystal;<br>and I may add a button compass.<br><br>During winter months when I wear a jacket, I stash a PSK in the pocket, otherwise I carry my PSK only when I venture into the woods or leave town. Whenever I go walking or hiking, I carry pepper spray, mostly in case of an aggressive dog. Of course, I keep some other gear in my car, in my desk at work and at home, so I'm rarely far from stuff to supplement my minimum carry items, which I try to keep truly minimal.

#2240 - 10/25/01 07:49 PM Re: EDC absolutes
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
Why use a Leatherman sheath instead of a Swiss Army sheath? I used to covet the SwissChamp until I got a CyberTool 34 and found out how well its screwdrivers function. Now I want the CyberTool 41 to have the wood saw and metal saw/file.<br><br>What do you mean by ditty bag?

#2241 - 10/25/01 08:10 PM Re: EDC absolutes
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Ditty bag, a sailor's small canvas bag to carry essential gear, thereby being prepared to sail at a moments notice. In modern times they became the "spit kit" or toiletries bag and the seabag became your suitcase. A sailor's "ditty" is a work song used to relate stories or provide instruction while working. It came from your collection, or "ditty" of experience. Any soft container is a ditty; stuff sack, potato sack, coin sack from the bank ( my favorite). Preceding information paid for by the U.S. taxpayer via the USCG wink

#2242 - 10/26/01 05:36 PM Re: EDC absolutes
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>traser glow ring (helps me find it in the dark!)<<<br><br>That's a great idea. Makes me realize that I would love to have some glow tape to put on my Photon. Hmmm... I wonder where I would find that.

#2243 - 10/29/01 02:39 PM Re: EDC absolutes
pteron Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK
Not sure how you'd make it into tape though as it is based on Tritium. Unfortunately, they are difficult to get in the US now, although I have a few coming to me soon I hope!<br><br>Andy

#2244 - 10/29/01 02:49 PM Re: EDC absolutes
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>Not sure how you'd make it into tape though as it is based on Tritium<<<br><br>Yes, I am not thinking of the tritium technology per se for my Photon, just the concept of "glow in the dark" in general. I'm sure there is standard, old-fashioned glow-in-the-dark tape available somewhere, and it seems like that could be a useful addition to some survival equipment under certain curcumstances. The glow ring is neat technology, but there is a certain space consideration with that item that wouldn't be a concern with a small piece of tape.

#2245 - 10/30/01 04:25 AM Re: EDC absolutes
cliff Offline
Sultan of Spiffy
Enthusiast

Loc: Louisiana
OK, since we're all exposing ourselves.......<br><br>On my keychain:<br><br> - Buck Minitool. Love the thing. Use it all the time. But, would a Juice be better?....... Hmmmm.<br> - A "Military Match" Magnesium and flint. Use the Bucktool as the striker.<br> - Photon II. Would like to upgrade to Photon III or the AAA Arclight. (Not-so-subtile hint for Christmas, Peanut...)<br> - P-38 can opener. Carried this for 20+ years. [censored] useful. Each time I think I should ditch it (I mean, who uses cans...?), I find another use. Last week - prying off door hinge pins.<br> - One of my military dog tags. (In case of amnesia?)<br> - A Lifkin 36" tape. This has nothing to do with survival. I'm an architect, and I use constantly. Also, it's orange, so I can spot my keychain when dropped.<br><br>In my "daytimer":<br>OK, it's really an Eagle Creek "Travel Organizer" which holds my Calender/Journal/Sketchbook, address book, pencils, scale, yadda, yadda, yadda. I carry this everywhere. Well, not in the shower, or in the pool, but darn near everywhere. It also holds my "everyday kit", which is contained in this cool metal Hint Mint box. It is thin and slightly curved, so fits easily in a pocket, too. It contains:<br><br>First Aid Kit:<br> - Bandaids (6)<br> - Alchaol swabs (2)<br> - Antiseptic swab (1)<br> - Moleskin<br> - Gauze pad (1)<br> - Steri Strips<br>Sewing kit<br> - Needles (3, including one heavy duty)<br> - Pins (3)<br> - Thread (black, white, olive, and 10' of 'Spider-wire'<br> - Buttons (2) (I loose these constantly)<br>Safety Pins (3)<br>Paper Clips (2) (for stout wire)<br>X-acto blades (2) (you never know....)<br>1/2 book of matches (out of an MRE)<br>Cotton Ball (firestarter, first aid uses)<br>(Matches, cotton ball and First Aid Kit in tiny zip lock)<br><br>Also in my Eagle Creek, I carry 4 one dollar bills and four quarters, 36" of paracord, some oral "brace" wax (with as many fillings as I have, when they fall out....), asprin and personal meds in a tubular Tylenol container, and a whistle.<br><br>The cell phone is also not more than a belt loop away. I now consider this a required bit of survival kit.<br><br>In my briefcase, I have my larger kit. It is usually in the car or at my desk, and is also tailored to be my "Oh, Sh**! Kit" for camping: It contains more first aid kit items, trash bag, ziplock bags, lighter, compass, 25' paracord, signal mirror, survival saw, fishing kit, Swiss Army "Camper" knife. It is contained in a hard plastic surplus container formerly used for carrying decon packets with the M17A1 gas mask.<br><br>That's about it. Any suggestions appreciated. Any compliments greatly appreciated.<br><br> .....CLIFF<br>

#2246 - 10/30/01 06:26 AM Re: EDC absolutes
Anonymous
Unregistered

What would you consider the difference between a BOB and a "possibles" bag? I don't want to lug around a BOB for everyday carry. But, is there still too much in that daypack of mine? What would you change? <br>Card wallet (ID, credit cards, etc.) <br>Photon 3 (white) <br>Photon 2 (white) <br>2 Spare lithium batteries for Photons <br>CMG Infinity Light (red) <br>CMG Infinity Light (white) <br>2 Spare AA lithium batteries <br>Spyderco FRN Delica (50/50 edge) <br>Victorinox Huntsman SAK <br>3 Mini Bic lighters (2 in waterproof Ziplock) <br>Leatherman Pulse (on belt) <br>Benchmade Stryker (50/50 edge) <br>Spyderco Pocket Pro Files <br>DMT Pocket Sharpener(fine) <br>Spare change <br>Fingernail clippers <br>100' cordage <br>Rubberbands <br>Safety pins <br>Paperclips <br>Small sewing kit (with awls and dental floss) <br>Notepad and pencil <br>Whistle/compass/magnifier/thermometer (el cheapo thing) <br>2 Heavy duty trash bags <br>packet of tissues in Ziplock bag <br>REI Elements anorak <br>REI Windstopper fleece <br>Nalgene bottle <br>Red Sabre pepper spray <br>Micra and SAK Classic on keyring <br>cottonballs stuffed into 35mm film cannister <br>small candle (votive type) <br>5 sq.' of aluminum foil <br>small bottle of ibuprofen

#2247 - 10/30/01 02:27 PM Re: EDC absolutes
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>is there still too much in that daypack of mine? What would you change? <<<br><br>Gatekeeper,<br>Only you know what your needs really are based on your circumstances. That may be the perfect assortment for you. Not knowing anything about your situation or what you are trying to be prepared for, my first reaction is that you have a lot of duplication in that equipment. <br><br>How many flashlights/spare batteries are you carrying? How many knife blades? How many lighters? Do you really need that much duplication, or would one or 2 of each suffice? You may be able to lighten your load considerably by thinking really hard about that question.<br><br>I personally try to eliminate most redundancy in my survival equipment. I consider the entire kit to be a redundancy in its self anyway. If all goes according to plan, I won't need any of it. If something goes wrong, the kit is the backup. Does your backup need backup? Maybe or maybe not.

#2248 - 10/30/01 06:29 PM Glow In The Dark Tape
jet Offline
Enthusiast

While exploring http://www.uscav.com/ for other items, I came across some. You can search for "Luminous Tape" or just go here.<br><br>Then, I figred, if they had it, others might too, so I checked. You can find a lot of useful links by doing a standard Google search for Luminous Tape or Glow In The Dark Tape. (They're my favorite web search engine.)

#2249 - 11/09/01 12:11 AM Re: EDC absolutes - D.Ritter on knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello, all. In his treatise on "sharp stuff" elsewhere on this site, Doug Ritter wrote: "It wasn't so many years ago that virtually every adult male carried a pocket knife of some sort. ... I am never without at least one folding knife and generally I carry two knives and a Leatherman Tool. I'd feel undressed without a knife on my person."<br><br>It reminded me of my father's response when someone needing a sharp edge asks him if he has a knife: "I have my pants on, don't I?" <br><br>Things changed on 9/11, though, when those unspeakable censored used blades to take over airliners. I know this "now what?" topic has been covered here in the forum since airlines started confiscating everything from cleavers to fingernail clippers, but I thought it might be worth revisiting the topic. Are you putting your favorite (and expensive!) gear in checked baggage for the airlines to lose? Sending it ahead via FedEx? Doing without at your destination after traveling by air?<br><br>Looking forward to some creative options...<br><br>Tim Elliott<br>

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (11/09/01 02:47 AM)

#2250 - 11/09/01 12:29 AM Re: EDC absolutes
BoyNhisDog Offline

Loc: Arizona
The things I always have with me are a good Sebenza and a good attiude. My little possibilities bag is about 3x4x6 and has the usual compass, water purification tablets, fire tools, signal mirror and whistle, nylon line and thread, fishing hooks and lures, 100' monofiliment, 6x12 plastic sheet and a Nimravus cub. The leatherman wave and a water resistant wind suit ride in my flight bag or daypack depending on the senario. Of course water and food are always somewhere in my kit along with a water filter and a digital camera.

#2251 - 11/09/01 02:22 AM Re: EDC absolutes - D.Ritter on knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

The new airline regulations are something I'm going to be dealing with a lot very soon, and I am very interested in suggestions as well.<br><br>I've been flying at least twice a week for the past 2 years. Before 9/11, I carried my Leatherman PST in a sheath or in my carry-on luggage on every flight without any problems. According to United's online FAQ, you are no longer allowed to carry any cutting device, including elongated scissors. While I find this to be a ridiculous regulation, I am not planning on finding a way to subvert the law.<br><br>One reason why I carry a fairly cheap pocket tool is for the "throwaway" factor. Mind you, I've never had to surrender my PST, but I would feel much better losing it than a Leatherman Wave or high-end custom knife. I may even downgrade my tool to the cheapest possible just in case.<br><br>I plan on putting my knife in my checked luggage. If I forget to do that, I will try to put the knife in a locker and pick it up the next time I come through the airport. I doubt there are any contingencies for holding your knives at the checkpoints for you to pick up later.<br><br>I've thought about the possibility of finding a tool without a blade, but the hassle of trying to prove that my tool doesn't have a blade every time I fly doesn't warrant this. In reality, I think I'm going to lose a few tools in the next year or so. Oh well. At least I'll get a chance to compare different brands...

#2252 - 11/09/01 02:47 AM Re: EDC absolutes - D.Ritter on knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

STEALTH TITANIUM TECHNOLOGIES CREDIT CARD KNIFE<br>Anyone Know any info on this?

#2253 - 11/09/01 04:11 AM Re: EDC absolutes - D.Ritter on knives
Neanderthal Offline
newbie member

Loc: Pennsylvania
FED EX : Great idea ! Include an inexpensive blade in baggage to cover the period between arrival and Fed Ex pick up.

PROVERBS 21:19

#2254 - 11/09/01 04:17 AM Re: EDC absolutes - D.Ritter on knives
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Your's is a timely question, since I've been approaching my December busy travel season and asking myself the same questions. It appears that for the time being at least, given the insanity that prevails, even a scalpel blade in a mini-kit is a potential red flag, if the security people are awake enough to catch it. Certainly not worth losing the kit over. <br><br>I HATE being without even a small knife blade, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of alternatives right now that don't hold the prospect of more agro then they are worth if caught. <br><br>One possibility I am considering is the small, cheapo folding knives they give away at trade shows. Dropped in the bottom of the bag, it would be inconspicuous and if found, excusable and easily shrugged off, let them keep it. It's not much, but it's a blade.<br><br>Beyond that, I'm leaning towards reproducing my personal kit sans the blades and needles just for carry on. <br><br>Real blades go in the checked baggage along with my scissors I use to trim my beard. :-( I'm not about to put my Sebenza in checked baggage. I'll check one of my Benchmades, Spydercos, whatever...<br><br>I always carry bottled water, again that hasn't yet been a problem at the screeners as long as it is sealed according to friends who have been traveling a good deal lately. If it is, you can buy it inside in the airport shops. I also always carry a few packages of homemade trail mix. More of both goes in checked luggage. For that matter, as lomg as you're checking luggage, you can really carry a good deal more than you might otherwise.<br><br>I have also acquired a walking stick (actually a few to possibly to a piece on). Makes an effective weapon, if you know how to use it, and doesn't raise any red flags with anyone so far. They were confiscating canes and walking sticks the first couple weeks, but that seems to have stopped for now. Who knows what idiocy will come in the future.<br>
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#2255 - 11/09/01 04:26 AM Re: EDC absolutes - D.Ritter on knives
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

The apparent attitude is that if it appears you "just forgot" and it's not too offensive looking, they will confiscate the so-called weapon and let you go on your merry way. If it appears you have purposely tried to circumvent the rules, as they might well percieve soemthing like this or non-metallic/non-magnetic blades, they may just arrest you. Is it worth going to jail or worse becuase they are being stupid? I don't think so.<br><br>For that matter, I just filed down the edge of a credit card and while it wouldn't cut much, if would be better than nothing as an improvised defensive weapon if need be.
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#2256 - 11/09/01 04:34 AM Re: EDC absolutes - D.Ritter on knives
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

I have always carried one of the small Priority Mail mailing boxes, it comes folded flat and they are available for free from the Post Office (sort of like a very small FedEx box), along with a Priority Mail stamp. If I ever had problems, in goes the offending item along with some TP from the men's room, address it, and off it goes. Only had to use it once, but it worked fine. Took me maybe 5-8 minutes total.
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#2257 - 11/09/01 05:24 AM Re: EDC absolutes - D.Ritter on knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmmm... let's see how many "field expedient" weapons we can figure out for on-board - given what we can legally carry on and what is already available on-board.<br><br>First - legal carry-on's that can be prepared before hand or retrofitted on-board.<br>1) per Doug - sharpened credit card ( are the platinum ones any better? :-) (still probably illegal given usage and intent. and since the intent would be obvious you would probably go to jail if caught.)<br><br>2) any writing implement - from personal experience I can state that a #2 pencil can be jammed through someones arm with quite impressive results as I was the victim of this on the school yard many decades ago.<br><br>3) Those little plastic cups that they serve water in will result in quite sharp edges if you crack one in half.<br><br>4) utilitikeys have been mentioned on this forum but would probably be considered illegal. OTH you could sharpen the spine of a normal key and though you would probably ruin it's ability to open the lock you would have a sharp to carry-on. - (still probably illegal given usage and intent. and since the intent would be obvious you would probably go to jail if caught.)<br><br>5) Do they allow you to take on disposable razors? The blade could be liberated from this tool.<br><br>6) If you bring a CD you can crack it in half and get two rather sharp blades each 3.5" long.<br><br>7) Many PDA's are being delivered these days in titanium boxes and titanium cases are available for these devices if they arrive in plastic. The cover of one of these cases or devices could certainly be sharpened on one edge for a substantial and sturdy sharp. If you further purchases a leather case for this device the sharp edge would be quite well hidden until needed.<br><br>8) When I travel with my laptop I carry a small printer in the bag which I am examining now. Seems there are a number of very stiff plastic pieces on this device that can be removed and sharpened and put back on with little sign of tampering. <br><br>9) Any excuse for bring a piece of flat glass is sufficient to provide substantial and very sharp blade. If said glass is pre-scirbed you can even control the shape of the resultant blade upon breaking. Let's say a vanity compact with mirror? Picture frame with picture of loved-one? <br><br>10) Jewelery. Any piece of jewlery with a straight edge can be sharpened and if it is properly decorated will not be closely examined. Dog-Tags with those rubber silencers. Heavy Mr. T type disk around neck even a large cross, ankh etc.<br><br>So much for "no sharps on planes".<br><br>Now how about the easier self-defense devices that work in close Qtr's.<br><br>1) Martial Arts Knowledge & Skill. Hard to acquire but once acquired, very effective and impossible to confiscate. Skill is required for effectiveness and must be maintained.<br><br>2) Whips. These are easy to use with a little practice and can dis-arm an assailant. Most of us men where one around the waist already.<br><br>3) Blunt Weapons. The stewardess's have large aluminum trays for delivering food and drink. I have my laptop, book, boot..... All of which can be thrown, or clubbed. These are a poor replacement for a blade when your opponent has a blade but better than waiting for the lunatic to fly into a building and scorch you to death in a blaze of jet fuel!<br><br>4) Cat's Claws - key ring decorations - see comments on jewelery.<br><br>5) Kevlar gloves - while not exactly in the same category as the other items listed here they can certainly help to dis-arm a foe with a blade.<br><br>6) net / club combination. Throw a coat, cloak, airline-blanket over the assailant and while they are disentangling themselves use the blunt instruments mentioned earlier. - this works even better when one defender uses the net and another the club.<br><br>7) Garrot - parratooper speed laces. Would be very difficult to use on a standing asailant who has a knife but if you were in the seat behind them and they were not sitting next to their buddy...... many conditionals here <br><br>8) Chemicals. I can't bring pepper spray but any aresol with alcohal in it will work somewhat. Breath spray, cologne, perfume... aim for the eyes at close quarters and be prepared to follow up with blunt weapon<br><br>9) Flame This is a very dangerous weapon to use in a closed pressure vessel but.... see # 8 above and combine with a lighter and you have a flame thrower effectiveness determined by the pressure and streaming characteristics of the alcohal source.<br><br>10) Sling shot. Not the wrist-rocket type but the ancient type. A hankerchief and a shoelace or two is all you need then small projectiles such as a childs marble sack would readily provide.<br><br>A problem with all of the above is that this whole line of thinking is an attempt to circumvent the rules and if detected prior to use will cause you much trouble. <soapbox> Personnaly, I don't think that the proper reaction to armed criminals found in our midst is to disarm, but that is the one that is being enforced on us by the representatives that we elected and the continued disinterest of our fellow citizens in preparing to defend themselves and police their own communities. (I digress!)</soapbox><br><br>Feel certain that the enemy is thinking of all of these "Field expedient" weapons and probably more.<br><br>Travel safe!

#2258 - 11/09/01 05:29 AM Re: EDC absolutes - D.Ritter on knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

If the discussion is focused on how to have your equippment at the other end then the approach taken for your underwear should suffice for your equipment. Take enough cash to replace whatever you can't live without. If the checked luggage gets there you have your underwear and your stuff if not you will have to replace both. If you are going somewhere you regularly visit there is the possible of pre-arranged caches. This becomes expensive rapidly if you travel alot. Do the airlines really lose your lugage that often? more than once a year? Doug, you travel a bunch - how bad is the checked luggage problem? I have never lost a piece of checked luggage but I don't travel the airlines more than twice in 5 years.

#2259 - 11/09/01 06:36 AM Re: EDC absolutes - D.Ritter on knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

<<A problem with all of the above is that this whole line of thinking is an attempt to circumvent the rules and if detected prior to use will cause you much trouble.>><br><br>Your observations are interesting and useful; I'm glad you suggested some defensive options to consider.<br><br>Still, I wasn't thinking about defeating the next tango aboard a plane - I think he'd find himself overwhelmed by the entire planeload of men, women and toddlers these days. As the man said, "Let's roll!"<br><br>I was more concerned with transporting valuable tools from point A to point B without breaking the rules, being detained at an airport or having said tools confiscated (carry-on bags) or lost forever (checked bags).<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Tim Elliott

#2260 - 11/09/01 01:42 PM Re: EDC absolutes - D.Ritter on knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>how bad is the checked luggage problem? <<<br><br>I have flown 2-3 trips per year for many years and have had luggage delayed only once, and that was on my homeward leg after volunteering to be bumped from an overbooked plane at the last minute. Since I was going home, I didn't really need anything in the suitcase, which was delivered to my door the next day. I have also never had anything stolen from my luggage and I don't lock my suitcases. I also don't usually check anything too tempting to theives.<br><br>Based on my own experience, I'm not too worried about the checked baggage problem, although problems are always a possibility and for people who fly every week or two, it is almost inevitable that they will have a problem eventually.<br><br>I would just check the blade in the luggage, but leave the several-hundred-dollar knife at home. I doubt mailing or shipping a knife is any more reliable than checking it. Plus, if you check it, you have access to it immediately at the other airport.<br><br>Maybe rental car companies will start a rental knife program.

#2261 - 11/09/01 01:53 PM Re: EDC absolutes - D.Ritter on knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

A great list, but having studied law before I switched to computers, I'd like to point out that if you ever need to use any of these, this post would become prosecutions' exhibit "B", just after the item. Prior consideration to circumvent the law.<br><br>Besides, to quote Heinlein, "there are no dangerous weapons, only dangerous men". And for the people who might be offended, that does include women- my sister who is a hundred pounds lighter and a foot chorter can throw me around the mats and not be breathing as hard as I am. <br><br>We are survivors (rather than using the term survivalists), and thus know how to improvise and adapt.

#2262 - 11/09/01 02:09 PM Re: EDC absolutes - D.Ritter on knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

MEBRAD,<br><br> What about serving trays? They could easily ward off a edge wielding attacker. Nothing beats a good piece of para cord to deflect an attack. I've been hit upside the head with a hard soled shoe. Sure did get my attention. 007 would be proud of us.

#2263 - 11/09/01 02:14 PM Re: EDC absolutes - D.Ritter on knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

Doug,<br><br> You're a credit to the site. Little tips like that are invaluable.

#2264 - 11/09/01 03:53 PM Re: EDC absolutes - D.Ritter on knives
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
>>>For that matter, I just filed down the edge of a credit card and while it wouldn't cut much, if would be better than nothing as an improvised defensive weapon if need be. <<<<br><br>Again, this only points out that the current procedure only prevents law abiding travelers from carrying a weapon on board. Anyone seriously considering hijacking a plane has many ways in which to threaten and/or harm folks.

#2265 - 11/10/01 01:38 AM Re: EDC absolutes - D.Ritter on knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't fly I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on it.

#2266 - 11/12/01 04:18 AM Re: EDC absolutes
Anonymous
Unregistered

If it can withstand 400 degrees and conduct electricity, you can get it anodized "glow in the dark" kinda like paint, but never come off!

#2267 - 11/12/01 04:40 AM Re: EDC absolutes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wallet with Swisscard (School ID, medical card, social securites card, family pics, pics of various BABES, you know the usual)<br>Spyderco. Michael walker series liner lock (plain edge)<br>Swiss army classic (white) -> upgrading to midnight series or whatever with light in it<br>Neat little invention i made today, Certs mints thing (looks like credit card) took apart made into fishing kit<br>>>cert fish kit<<<br>10 feet of line<br>4 hooks<br>>>cert fish kit<<<br>house key with metal ring, p-38 can opener (Thanx Chris), match case (thanx again chris)<br><br>

#2268 - 12/16/01 08:47 AM Re: EDC absolutes
Anonymous
Unregistered

search the internet for ultralite backpacking. Thay have lots of<br>proven equip. list and they like to stay lite!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 405 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.