Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2258 - 11/09/01 05:29 AM Re: EDC absolutes - D.Ritter on knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

If the discussion is focused on how to have your equippment at the other end then the approach taken for your underwear should suffice for your equipment. Take enough cash to replace whatever you can't live without. If the checked luggage gets there you have your underwear and your stuff if not you will have to replace both. If you are going somewhere you regularly visit there is the possible of pre-arranged caches. This becomes expensive rapidly if you travel alot. Do the airlines really lose your lugage that often? more than once a year? Doug, you travel a bunch - how bad is the checked luggage problem? I have never lost a piece of checked luggage but I don't travel the airlines more than twice in 5 years.

#2259 - 11/09/01 06:36 AM Re: EDC absolutes - D.Ritter on knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

<<A problem with all of the above is that this whole line of thinking is an attempt to circumvent the rules and if detected prior to use will cause you much trouble.>><br><br>Your observations are interesting and useful; I'm glad you suggested some defensive options to consider.<br><br>Still, I wasn't thinking about defeating the next tango aboard a plane - I think he'd find himself overwhelmed by the entire planeload of men, women and toddlers these days. As the man said, "Let's roll!"<br><br>I was more concerned with transporting valuable tools from point A to point B without breaking the rules, being detained at an airport or having said tools confiscated (carry-on bags) or lost forever (checked bags).<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Tim Elliott

#2260 - 11/09/01 01:42 PM Re: EDC absolutes - D.Ritter on knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>how bad is the checked luggage problem? <<<br><br>I have flown 2-3 trips per year for many years and have had luggage delayed only once, and that was on my homeward leg after volunteering to be bumped from an overbooked plane at the last minute. Since I was going home, I didn't really need anything in the suitcase, which was delivered to my door the next day. I have also never had anything stolen from my luggage and I don't lock my suitcases. I also don't usually check anything too tempting to theives.<br><br>Based on my own experience, I'm not too worried about the checked baggage problem, although problems are always a possibility and for people who fly every week or two, it is almost inevitable that they will have a problem eventually.<br><br>I would just check the blade in the luggage, but leave the several-hundred-dollar knife at home. I doubt mailing or shipping a knife is any more reliable than checking it. Plus, if you check it, you have access to it immediately at the other airport.<br><br>Maybe rental car companies will start a rental knife program.

#2261 - 11/09/01 01:53 PM Re: EDC absolutes - D.Ritter on knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

A great list, but having studied law before I switched to computers, I'd like to point out that if you ever need to use any of these, this post would become prosecutions' exhibit "B", just after the item. Prior consideration to circumvent the law.<br><br>Besides, to quote Heinlein, "there are no dangerous weapons, only dangerous men". And for the people who might be offended, that does include women- my sister who is a hundred pounds lighter and a foot chorter can throw me around the mats and not be breathing as hard as I am. <br><br>We are survivors (rather than using the term survivalists), and thus know how to improvise and adapt.

#2262 - 11/09/01 02:09 PM Re: EDC absolutes - D.Ritter on knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

MEBRAD,<br><br> What about serving trays? They could easily ward off a edge wielding attacker. Nothing beats a good piece of para cord to deflect an attack. I've been hit upside the head with a hard soled shoe. Sure did get my attention. 007 would be proud of us.

#2263 - 11/09/01 02:14 PM Re: EDC absolutes - D.Ritter on knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

Doug,<br><br> You're a credit to the site. Little tips like that are invaluable.

#2264 - 11/09/01 03:53 PM Re: EDC absolutes - D.Ritter on knives
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
>>>For that matter, I just filed down the edge of a credit card and while it wouldn't cut much, if would be better than nothing as an improvised defensive weapon if need be. <<<<br><br>Again, this only points out that the current procedure only prevents law abiding travelers from carrying a weapon on board. Anyone seriously considering hijacking a plane has many ways in which to threaten and/or harm folks.

#2265 - 11/10/01 01:38 AM Re: EDC absolutes - D.Ritter on knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't fly I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on it.

#2266 - 11/12/01 04:18 AM Re: EDC absolutes
Anonymous
Unregistered

If it can withstand 400 degrees and conduct electricity, you can get it anodized "glow in the dark" kinda like paint, but never come off!

#2267 - 11/12/01 04:40 AM Re: EDC absolutes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wallet with Swisscard (School ID, medical card, social securites card, family pics, pics of various BABES, you know the usual)<br>Spyderco. Michael walker series liner lock (plain edge)<br>Swiss army classic (white) -> upgrading to midnight series or whatever with light in it<br>Neat little invention i made today, Certs mints thing (looks like credit card) took apart made into fishing kit<br>>>cert fish kit<<<br>10 feet of line<br>4 hooks<br>>>cert fish kit<<<br>house key with metal ring, p-38 can opener (Thanx Chris), match case (thanx again chris)<br><br>

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 502 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.