Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#222717 - 05/02/11 06:39 PM Re: Osama Bin Laden Apprently Now Dead. [Re: Jesselp]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Jesselp

To bring things full circle, this morning I reminded my wife to keep her situational awareness up during her commute into NYC. No headphones on while in crowded places, etc. And we reviewed her plans for getting home to me and the kids if something bad should happen. She's much more prepared to handle adversity now, thanks to all I have learned on this forum. I hope she does not have to put the knowledge to use.

A lot of people are going to be on heightened alert. LEO, utilities, military personell, civilian defense workers, etc. I remember taking a course not long after 9/11 detailing how to minimize your potential as a target. I wonder if anybody is getting refresher on it.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#222783 - 05/03/11 04:29 AM Re: Osama Bin Laden Apprently Now Dead. [Re: Frisket]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I am from the Middle East, especifically, I am from Saudi Arabia

I really wish you all could read Arabic and have a quick look at our papers and news sites today... Many people expressed relief and happiness for his death. We have been often grilled because a few Arabs were shown dancing after 911 .. well, it seems that more Arabs are dancing today, and I just wish those who held us all responsible .. could see it for themselves.

BTW, some are skeptical about what really happened. I , for one see the story full of holes. For example, they showed the bodies of Saddam sons to the media , why not Osama body ?? Why throw it in the sea ? Sounds strange !! If they left the body or gave it to some Islamic country or organization for burial, that will authenticate the story. But .. politics is always like that .. full of holes and puzzles.

In any case, I don't think his death will change much because Al-Qaeda is not a tightly controlled organization taking every order from their leader. He has become a symbolic figure more or less, and his death may bring even more disasters from his bloody fans around the world. Add to that, anyone can pay commandos-for-hire to do any dirty job and stick any label on it.

IMHO, there is a relevant part of this event to ETS members : It is time to re-check the BOBs. I am rechecking mine , and increasing my emergency cash by a few 1000s.

#222785 - 05/03/11 05:01 AM Re: Osama Bin Laden Apprently Now Dead. [Re: Frisket]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Enemies of the state are very often buried at sea. No one wants the grave site to become a shrine.

#222788 - 05/03/11 05:23 AM Re: Osama Bin Laden Apprently Now Dead. [Re: Chisel]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
There is Al-Jazeera in English,though I haven't tapped that source,I figure the news is the news,& If it is true,I'm Elated!Some sources indicated he was given an Islamic burial but I have never heard of an Islamic burial at Sea,Correct me if I'm wrong,But an Islamic burial consists of laying the body in the direction of Mecca,Kinda hard to do underwater,maybe in the Red Sea,since Mecca is closer to there.My personal thought is,they Lopped his head off for DNA analysis & Proof to our President,that it actually was Usama Bin Laden!& Napalmed the body or fed the fish in The Indian Ocean via a LAPES drop!I know one thing for sure,America's SOG people are Not,Pay as you go Commandos,They work Purely from the Heart!

#222790 - 05/03/11 06:17 AM Re: Osama Bin Laden Apprently Now Dead. [Re: Phaedrus]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
No one wants the grave site to become a shrine.

I understand

But in case of something like Al-Qaeda, you would love to see who is paying frequent visits to such a shrine .. right ??

It will be a great source of info, wouldn't you say ?

#222807 - 05/03/11 03:07 PM Re: Osama Bin Laden Apprently Now Dead. [Re: Frisket]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I see no value to bringing Bin Laden's remains back to the US or showing images on TV. After all, we are not barbarians and do not parade the bodies of our captured/vanquished enemies through the streets. Which is more than I can say for the feral swine who claim to be followers of God's will. In any event, those who wish to disbelieve will continue to do so regardless of any evidence to the contrary.

I'm sure that our professional and well disciplined military forces treated Bib Laden's remains with as much respect as possible given the circumstances,and that no pork products found their way into any orifices before he was buried.

#222809 - 05/03/11 03:42 PM Re: Osama Bin Laden Apprently Now Dead. [Re: Frisket]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Wish we could have traded OBL for OBG...

#222817 - 05/03/11 05:00 PM Re: Osama Bin Laden Apprently Now Dead. [Re: chaosmagnet]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Shot twice in the head.

I went to an exibition of press photographs that included a picture of a woman and a man falling to their deaths, hand in hand, from the twin towers.

Looked at it, and came to the realisation that this is a war to the knife.

I vowed there and then that if OBL fell into my hands, He'd be shown that picture. Just before I shot him twice.

About a meter lower.

#222831 - 05/03/11 08:01 PM Re: Osama Bin Laden Apprently Now Dead. [Re: Chisel]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Chisel

In any case, I don't think his death will change much because Al-Qaeda is not a tightly controlled organization taking every order from their leader.

True.

Originally Posted By: Chisel

his death may bring even more disasters from his bloody fans around the world.

It may, but it is also reasonable to assume that the hardenened fanatics capable of such things have already been doing their outmost to bring disaster. Being more motivated (if that is at all possible) doesn't make them more capable than they already are.

In short, I doubt this will make much difference one way or the other for the threath level of terrorist attacks.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (05/03/11 08:03 PM)

#222839 - 05/03/11 09:30 PM Re: Osama Bin Laden Apprently Now Dead. [Re: Frisket]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I'm not displeased that he is dead. It is IMHO, a good thing but I don't think it is a time to celebrate or crow. It needed to be done, but you don't celebrate taking out the trash.

The bad news is that retaliation is likely. The good news is that much of this retaliation is likely to be small and unplanned opportunistic attacks and mostly overseas. Any planned attacks will tend to have had their schedules advanced. This is good because a rushed attack is more likely to be sloppily executed and easier to catch.

The key to terrorism is that it doesn't disrupt your life as much as it causes you to disrupt your own life. Either way, if it disrupts your life it has done its intended job. So, be observant but carry on.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.