Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#222778 - 05/03/11 03:41 AM Re: Crystal Lake - Mt Islip - Big Cienega Loop Hike [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Thanks for the memories! I used to live in Azusa. Haven't been back in 31 years. Sorry to see all the fire destruction.

Mt. Baldy Lesson: Don't get your pants wet and then pull them down in front of the motel wall heater if you're standing too close.

BRANDED!
--|--|--|--
--|--|--|--
--|--|--|--

Sue

#222782 - 05/03/11 04:18 AM Re: Crystal Lake - Mt Islip - Big Cienega Loop Hike [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Hey Jim,Many Thanx for the "Escape"!I was on the roof of a bldg in Marina del Rey today,looking at the snow on Baldy,wondering how much longer it will last,being 90 degrees in the basin today,& the santa ana's blowing.Your Photo-Zen is right on the mark,Thanx Again!

#222789 - 05/03/11 05:52 AM Re: Crystal Lake - Mt Islip - Big Cienega Loop Hike [Re: Richlacal]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Nice, Jim! Thanks for sharing.

#222798 - 05/03/11 12:14 PM Re: Crystal Lake - Mt Islip - Big Cienega Loop Hike [Re: Susan]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Quote:
BRANDED!
--|--|--|--
--|--|--|--
--|--|--|--

Sue,

Sorry to laugh laugh at your expense, but that brought back some old memories from when I was dating my future wife. I grew up in a very small house that had the heating grate in the hallway floor. Whenever it was on, you knew (even the dogs knew) to step around the grate.

Back in the day, I brought my then fiancé to meet my parents. I forgot to tell her to avoid the grate when hot. She got up in the middle of the night to hit the bathroom, when suddenly she let out this huge scream and found her hopping around. She burned the bottom of her feet with the crisscross pattern of the grate branded into the bottom of her feet. She still married me (her mistake) and carried that crisscross brand on the bottom of her feet for many years.

On a side note, the photos are beautiful, making me wish I could someday visit the area.

Pete

#222841 - 05/03/11 09:58 PM Re: Crystal Lake - Mt Islip - Big Cienega Loop Hike [Re: buckeye]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: buckeye
Now that looks like it was a good day.

buckeye
Definitely a good day. smile Really nice, beautiful blue skies for our hike while everyone down below had a gray, gloomy day. And I got to play with stoves. smile

HJ

#222842 - 05/03/11 10:00 PM Re: Crystal Lake - Mt Islip - Big Cienega Loop Hike [Re: Richlacal]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Richlacal
Hey Jim,Many Thanx for the "Escape"!I was on the roof of a bldg in Marina del Rey today,looking at the snow on Baldy,wondering how much longer it will last,being 90 degrees in the basin today,& the santa ana's blowing.Your Photo-Zen is right on the mark,Thanx Again!
The snow on the north side of Baldy is holding out well. Any south facing slopes are pretty bare.

Two weeks prior, there was snow all over the place, down three thousand feet lower.

HJ

#222843 - 05/03/11 10:03 PM Re: Crystal Lake - Mt Islip - Big Cienega Loop Hike [Re: Susan]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Susan
Thanks for the memories! I used to live in Azusa. Haven't been back in 31 years. Sorry to see all the fire
Yeah, the destruction from the fire is pretty dispiriting. Still, there's a sere beauty. And, frankly, the views are better without the forest (of course I'd take the forest back in a heart beat).

Fortunately, they didn't let the very scenic area around the lake itself burn over and there are some very nice sections of forest down by the creek and such that the fire didn't get.

HJ

#222874 - 05/04/11 10:53 AM Re: Crystal Lake - Mt Islip - Big Cienega Loop Hike [Re: Hikin_Jim]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Thanks for the photos and trip report Jim!

I have a solid half day drive to any substantial mountains and I'm WAY overdue for a solid backpacking trip. There's never a shortage of places to go but I have to have two days just to travel to and from. It's great that you're so close to so many great destinations.

#222889 - 05/04/11 04:24 PM Re: Crystal Lake - Mt Islip - Big Cienega Loop Hike [Re: 7point82]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: 7point82
Thanks for the photos and trip report Jim!
You're welcome.

Originally Posted By: 7point82
I have a solid half day drive to any substantial mountains and I'm WAY overdue for a solid backpacking trip. There's never a shortage of places to go but I have to have two days just to travel to and from. It's great that you're so close to so many great destinations.
Yeah, I'm pretty spoiled. There are tons of good mountain hikes within a one hour radius, and hundreds (if not thousands) in a three hour radius. I've lived here for the great majority of my life and haven't even begun to scratch the surface.

HJ

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.