Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#222824 - 05/03/11 06:39 PM Re: A little heresy - do we need firestarters? [Re: clearwater]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: clearwater
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Originally Posted By: ireckon
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
...A firelighting kit is simply a waste of space...

Are you thinking about certain fire starters that are relatively large? In a pinch, I could fit a highly dependable fire starter underneath the band on my watch. For example...
http://firesteel.com/products/FireSteel-Miniature.html

With that tiny rod and my other equipment I would have with me, I can start a fire in a wide variety of conditions. Without any planned fire starter means, I doubt I would be able to start a fire in a variety of conditions.

Is everybody here doing a fully informed cost/benefit analysis?

No I am talking about an enviroment in which substaining a fire is not possible because fuel for sustaining a fire is either absent or unusable - as in too wet to burn.

I agree. For example, the Tahoe Region had a big snow year.
50 FEET of snow in some areas.
Wood may be meters under snow. We teach the fourth graders
a survival class each year, and they are instructed to always
bring a trash bag and a whistle in their coat pockets
whenever skiing or hiking. Those items do some good in deep
snow, high wind conditions for a 9 year old. A lighter or
such can be a distraction from really getting shelter and taking care of oneself. Not to mention the possibility
of misuse of knives, lighters etc. by the immature ones in the
group.

That being said, I have a ferro rod on my key ring and my 9 year old has both a pocket knife and bic lighter in his daypack.

What's good for 9-year-olds is a different subject as far as I'm concerned.

I snowboard regularly in Tahoe. From my observation, there's no shortage of firewood at any of the resorts I have visited (about 10), even in the dead of winter. It should be possible to make a fire from a live, or preferably a dead standing, redwood tree. There are plenty.

My gear while I'm riding includes at least a firestarter, 100 feet of 550 paracord, a whistle, a pocket knife and a small flashlight. I don't bring along a trash bag because I figure the tech of my shells will cancel out the usefulness of the trash bag. Maybe I'll consider it though because a trash bag basically weighs nothing.

#222827 - 05/03/11 07:20 PM Re: A little heresy - do we need firestarters? [Re: ireckon]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: ireckon
I don't bring along a trash bag because I figure the tech of my snowboard shell will cancel out the usefulness of the trash bag. Maybe I'll consider it though because a trash bag basically weighs nothing.

You might be glad to have a trash bag to give to someone else or improve a shelter.

#222828 - 05/03/11 07:27 PM Re: A little heresy - do we need firestarters? [Re: bigreddog]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I hike alone frequently and where I go in winter is quite limited in terms of fire-sustaining materials. I could build a grassfire but it would be on its way quickly.

I think in terms of injury and needing to survive without full mobility or body function. Such injuries might preclude travelling far enough to get wood for a fire or being able to construct much of a shelter.

So my gear set for hiking has materials so I can insulate myself and roll up into a large poncho while setting out my rescue beacon and hunter orange materials.

I still have fire starting stuff (3 ways) because it's good to have options and it doesn't weight much. But the injury-while-solo scenario for me suggests fire starting isn't necessarily the primary thing to concentrate on.

"It Depends."

#222830 - 05/03/11 07:55 PM Re: A little heresy - do we need firestarters? [Re: ireckon]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands

"What's good for 9-year-olds is a different subject as far as I'm concerned.

I snowboard regularly in Tahoe. From my observation, there's no shortage of firewood at any of the resorts I have visited (about 10), even in the dead of winter. It should be possible to make a fire from a live, or preferably a dead standing, redwood tree. There are plenty.

My gear while I'm riding includes at least a firestarter, 100 feet of 550 paracord, a whistle, a pocket knife and a small flashlight. I don't bring along a trash bag because I figure the tech of my snowboard shell will cancel out the usefulness of the trash bag. Maybe I'll consider it though because a trash bag basically weighs nothing. [/quote]

----

Without shelter, you won't be building a fire in many cases.

Wait till you get stuck in a whiteout on Tinkers Knob with 100 mile an hour plus winds and mixed snow and rain.

Or ride off the backside of Alpine into
powder so deep you can't walk through it without skis with skins or snow shoes.

Many years both these things happen to people.
If they are smart, they build a shelter and signal for searchers. Sometimes they can build a fire, most can't.

I do remember a pair of snowmobilers that managed a fire
by soaking their underwear in gas and using that for a
starter.

----

You will have a long walk to start a fire with Redwood Trees,
say across the central valley.

#222834 - 05/03/11 08:42 PM Re: A little heresy - do we need firestarters? [Re: clearwater]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: clearwater
Without shelter, you won't be building a fire in many cases.

Wait till you get stuck in a whiteout on Tinkers Knob with 100 mile an hour plus winds and mixed snow and rain.

Or ride off the backside of Alpine into
powder so deep you can't walk through it without skis with skins or snow shoes.

Many years both these things happen to people.
If they are smart, they build a shelter and signal for searchers. Sometimes they can build a fire, most can't.

I do remember a pair of snowmobilers that managed a fire
by soaking their underwear in gas and using that for a
starter.

----

You will have a long walk to start a fire with Redwood Trees,
say across the central valley.

I'm not questioning the need for shelter. Nobody on this thread is as far as I recall. In contrast, some here are questioning the need for fire. That's the issue.

I know many people here are binary thinkers, and that's good sometimes. However, here's not the place. Shelter is necessary most times. Fire is necessary sometimes. Both fire and shelter are necessary sometimes. It's not a binary solution.

Regarding Tahoe, whatever you want to call the trees in Tahoe, there are lots of them. It may require higher skill to start a fire with them in the winter, but it would be possible. It's a different situation than having no fuel at all.

#222858 - 05/04/11 01:56 AM Re: A little heresy - do we need firestarters? [Re: bigreddog]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks all! I love these debates! The reminders I'm taking from this thread are, in no particular order (binary thinking!):

1. To take a shelter I can count on.

I. To not count on being able to make a fire.

A. The dress appropriately for all possible weather conditions.

And, as every good Scout knows, to always plan ahead and think safety first.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#222871 - 05/04/11 08:08 AM Re: A little heresy - do we need firestarters? [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I think there is one other important lesson. If the weather looks formidable, either snowy or rainy, etc. just throw in a stove of some sort - fire problems are solved.

Dependable stoves can be obtained at whatever price you wish to pay, ranging from do it yourself Pepsi can stoves (cost is mere pennies) up to units costing $200 plus. All work well ad will accomplish the basics. As a backpacker, I am concerned about weight. None of my stoves, with fuel, weigh more than about eight ounces.

Before I used stoves, as an impoverished college student I got pretty good at building campfires in marginal conditions. That skill is now rusty, because I more typically use a stove, even in good weather. Stoves are more convenient, safer, and generally are better for the environment.

I built my last campfire about six years ago. If I build another, it is a pretty good bet that I am in trouble.

#222884 - 05/04/11 02:10 PM Re: A little heresy - do we need firestarters? [Re: hikermor]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I built my last campfire about six years ago. If I build another, it is a pretty good bet that I am in trouble.

I built my last campfire yesterday and I wasn't in trouble, and if you bring along some bacon'n'bugers and a grill you could have really tasty meal (sure beats an MRE) wink
Baked tatties taste better than boiled.

It certainly takes a little more effort than firing up a gas stove though. Splitting and chopping washed up tree branches with a big knife and preparing feather sticks is hard work.

#222896 - 05/04/11 06:08 PM Re: A little heresy - do we need firestarters? [Re: bigreddog]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I Dont know whats going on in the big picture of things there Am_Fear. But did you take that picture after the wake of a beaverpocolypse?

#225781 - 06/12/11 06:06 PM Re: A little heresy - do we need firestarters? [Re: Susan]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: Susan
Fire isn't just heat, fire is signaling. ...

Exactly. Even stranded on an ice floe ( http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=101 ) you can use your firesteel alone as signaling device at night when helicopters with night vision equipment are looking for you.
It's not just firestarter, it's also another light emitting bateryless device in your arsenal.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.