The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#222671 - 05/02/11 06:50 AM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: TeacherRO]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
My BOB includes a small UK vizion 3AAA eLED diver's headlamp that also incorporates a red lens for more discrete night use, among other things.

#222672 - 05/02/11 06:51 AM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: TeacherRO]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
My BOB includes a small UK Vizion 3AAA eLED diver's headlamp that also incorporates a red lens for more discrete night use, among other things.

#222694 - 05/02/11 01:29 PM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My EDC flashlight is a 4Sevens Quark 123. I keep a Prism kit in my laptop bag to convert it into a headlamp. My BOB also contains a dedicated headlamp.

#222837 - 05/03/11 09:16 PM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: chaosmagnet]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
I use a zebralight AA headlamp. Very small, especially if you ditch the original headband for a shoestring plus a cord lock. (Shoestring = flat, somewhat flexible and does not tangle).

I also very rarely wear it on my head. When camping I use it as a chest lamp. Being a very wide flood light I still get light where I need it as long as I'm sitting or standing. It still works as a headlamp for those few situations where a chest lamp doesn't cut it, such as reading while lying down.

#222856 - 05/04/11 01:39 AM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I carry a petzl e-light in my pocket or "purse". Hands-free is a brilliant option to have, and I love it's size and features.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#222862 - 05/04/11 03:28 AM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: hikermor]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Art, you will be glad to know that Fenix makes a headlamp of this same general type - just for you....

If I look around a bit I'm pretty sure I can find a unit machined out of pure unobtainium by cloistered, pure, unblemished virgins using a cyclotron driven by a donkey wheel. They sell for $100,000 each but it comes with a no-questions-asked warranty for 1000 years offering replacement or double your money back refund, your choice, providing you hand deliver the defective product to their service center on the dark side of the moon.

But think of the 'quality'. If you aren't willing to go with a 'quality' product you aren't serious about survival. You simply have to go with the best because ... <insert improbable situation where your life rides on a flashlight working here> ... could happen and then where would you be?

#222872 - 05/04/11 08:22 AM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: Art_in_FL]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Forget about Fenix, they are definitely middle of the road items. You want FoxFury products - headlamps and lighting products costing at least $100 and up - definitely specialized products made from unobtanium - don't know about the unblemished virgins........

#223078 - 05/06/11 09:56 PM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: TeacherRO]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I still recommend the Brinkmann 2-pack for 1bout $10 or $11 at the Home Depot. They have two white and one red LED. They use 3 AAA batteries (included). I only have four of them. They are great. If/when you lose one, you are only out about $6.

Standard Disclaimer

My $.02

#223515 - 05/13/11 12:32 AM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
I use a zebralight AA headlamp. Very small, especially if you ditch the original headband for a shoestring plus a cord lock....

I also very rarely wear it on my head. When camping I use it as a chest lamp...

Same here, except I made a "fancier" lanyard out of paracord, the original rubbery pocket clip (holds lanyard and lamp, clip for stability), and "those things that clamp on ID lanyards and fasten at your neck but don't come apart with normal pulling" lol.

By far the most useful lamp I've ever bought. I never would have thought of using a lamp this way, but then I've never had an angle-head lamp before. Tiny, light, one AA Eneloop lasts a long time on mid power, easy to hide below shirt.

Never even tried the Zebralight headband, forgot I had it. The size of the rubber adapter that holds the lamp to the headband is probably what originally kept me from carrying this in my small EDC kit. But this lanyard carry opened up a whole new world of uses and hands-free convenience for me.

#223688 - 05/16/11 07:24 AM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: cfraser]
sealander Offline
Stranger

Loc: New Zealand
Instead of a headlamp, I've got a solar powered cap - thin film solar panel on top of the brim, two LEDs underneath that point in the direction you're looking. (The general idea is you're hiking around in the sunshine all day and it charges up, but I leave it on the windowsill). Already been handy in two evening power outages in the last month, but mostly I got it because in winter I have to go tend the chickens in the dark, and it is very useful to have a hands free light when trying to catch a rooster who doesn't want to be put to bed smile

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.