Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#222575 - 04/30/11 08:30 PM Anyone EDC a headlamp?
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I find those headlights very useful and fairly compact. I may add one to my edc bag (briefcase) Ideas and suggestions?

#222577 - 04/30/11 08:50 PM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Headlamps are great. It is always easy to carry a headlamp in your hand, if necessary, and it much harder to paste a flashlight to your head if you need your hands for other activities. I always have one in my "outdoor EDC","since I often would rather have my hands free when walking or climbing.

I have found them useful in other situations - even once in the office when working on the weekend and the lighting system kept cutting out, I simply donned my headlamp and kept plugging away, much to the amusement of my fellow workers. Headlamps are definitely useful when working on autos, etc.

Some of the better headlamps are produced by Princeton Tec (the EOS is my personal favorite, but I am not sure it remains in production), Black Diamond, and Petzl. All of these will give you bragging rights without the expenditure of disgracefully large amounts of coin. There are many other moderately priced models available as well. If you really need them, there are models selling for hundreds of dollars. Some of these are available in special kits that are adaptable for bicycle use, etc. (This is true of the EOS).

If you wish to go caving, a solid headlamp is virtually mandatory.

There are occasions where you do not want ot wear a headlamp. Occasionally on trails, the angle of the light will wash out irregularities on the trail, robbing you of any depth perspective. It can be quite disorienting. The problem is easily solved by simply transferring the headlamp to your hand, giving you a more useful angle.

#222578 - 04/30/11 09:08 PM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: TeacherRO]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
I don't carry one every day but I have one with lithium batteries in the car. You can squeeze one into just about any car emergency kit because they are typically very small and weigh next to nothing.

Nothing beats a headlamp for changing a tire at night.

hikermor was right about the brands; Petzl, Black Diamond and Princeton Tec are the big sellers. Even Fenix and Surefire have got headlamps now.

#222587 - 04/30/11 10:31 PM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: TeacherRO]
JOEL Offline
Stranger

I have a small torch in my EDC (a Gerber Tempo) and it is modified to be used as a headlight if needed:

http://www.benvelo.com/flashlightholder_mini_1.htm

It's easy to do, and it works well.

#222588 - 04/30/11 10:49 PM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: TeacherRO]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
I guess you could say I do, I carry an Energizer MLT1WAAE flashlight and have a Nite Ize headband that let's me use in as a head light if needed.

#222592 - 05/01/11 12:01 AM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: TeacherRO]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Princeton tec EOS is my favorite, I even have a newest gen LED on the way to upgrade mine.

I don't EDC any though, don't use one often enough, rather have a flashlight instead.

#222593 - 05/01/11 12:04 AM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: TeacherRO]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
yup. Petzel e+lite always, usually have a tikka plus 2 in the bag somewhere.

#222603 - 05/01/11 05:28 AM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: ]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I have several of Target's "River Rock" brand of headlamps that are basically the clone of the Streamlight Enduro - runs of 2xAAA batteries, has a low, high and off cycle to its levels. Adequate for many of the tasks you'd want a headlamp for (walking around in the dark, working on something within arm's reach).

I'd like to transition to one of these:

Fenix HL20

or

Icon Irix

or maybe

Icon Irix II

I've begun transitioning all my flashlights over to AA or AAA, and I find that the flashlight "arms race" has reached a point where I'm ready to step off the constant quest for brighter, more powerful, and settle on "great output, great UI, common batteries."

I like that all three of these are 1xAA. The Fenix feels more solidly built. I do like the adjustable beam of the Icon headlamps, though.

#222605 - 05/01/11 05:40 AM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I've been using a Streamlight headlamp for awhile now and really like it. Can't recall the model but it was about $28 from LAPoliceGear.com (no affiliation, just took advantage of a 15% off weekend sale a couple months back). It's very bright, supposedly waterproof and really comfortable. Time will tell how it holds up but so far so good. It does take CR123A batteries- that's a plus for me but may not be for everyone.

#222611 - 05/01/11 09:09 AM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The choice of battery type can be fairly significant. I prefer to standardize on one or two types of batteries. I have a weather radio and GPS that take AAA, so lights and headlamps that take that battery are desirable. It also helps that the battery is readily available and even more important, that rechargeable batteries are available. The use of rechargeable batteries results in significant cost and environmental savings.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 172 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
3 seconds ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.