Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#222474 - 04/29/11 12:27 AM Decent Binocular Recommendations?
Frisket Offline
Addict

Im looking for a decent pair of Binoculars and have little ta no idea where to start. I have an old pair of 7x35 full size binolux's that are not sealed at all and are holding moister inside. I like the magnification on them not to much not to little. My price range is around 50$ sadly but I am not looking for high end amazing I can see everything Binoculars so Hopefully theres a few around 50$ that will do.

#222480 - 04/29/11 02:45 AM Re: Decent Binocular Recommendations? [Re: Frisket]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Barska have a sale on at the moment. These might be a little more costly than you were looking for, but might be worthwhile considering.

http://www.shopbarska.com/Binoculars-BARSKA_8x42_WP_NATURESCAPE_BINOCULARS.html

You might even be able to find them cheaper else where if you shop around.

http://www.adorama.com/BAAB10962.html

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/29/11 02:52 AM)

#222481 - 04/29/11 02:58 AM Re: Decent Binocular Recommendations? [Re: Frisket]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
several years ago i bought a compact bushnell.

years later when we visited costa rica we forgot to bring them along. so i bought the only pair of bushnell's that i could find in the small town we were in. realized when we returned home they were the same model as what we had forgotten to bring. and in costa rice you really need them to see more of the wildlife - esp the birds, butterflies and monkeys.

these are them:

H20® 8x25 Waterproof/Fogproof FRP Compact

small, compact, rubber-coated, sealed, in your price range. they've worked for me for years.

#222484 - 04/29/11 04:48 AM Re: Decent Binocular Recommendations? [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Thanks for the advice! Im really digging this pair.

http://www.shopbarska.com/product.cgi?group=56&product=4457

Im pretty stoked that they still make compact opera binos in this style too.\

http://www.shopbarska.com/product.cgi?group=56&product=9192

I have a pair but the eye cup focusing rings are brokended very sad

#222491 - 04/29/11 01:56 PM Re: Decent Binocular Recommendations? [Re: Frisket]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

http://www.shopbarska.com/Binoculars-BARSKA_8x42_WP_HUNTMASTER_BINOCULARS.html

These look like a good deal as well. They are very compact being roof prism designs and have BAK4 glass and phase coated as well.
They also appear to a have decent FoV of 133m @ 1000m and are focusable down to 2m.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/29/11 01:58 PM)

#222511 - 04/29/11 07:32 PM Re: Decent Binocular Recommendations? [Re: Frisket]
TimDex Offline
Journeyman

Loc: New York State
It's more than $50 but leopold makes a pair of low-end binocs which are pretty good, I believe the line is called yosemite.

I have them and like them. Very good and can be used by children also.

Tim

#222524 - 04/29/11 10:32 PM Re: Decent Binocular Recommendations? [Re: Frisket]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

My advice for buying binoculars, or most any other durable goods, is to get informed and become conversant in the terminology and options. A good step is to type "buying guide binoculars", and/or other related terms into your favorite search engine.

Read the top three or four but don't draw any firm conclusions yet. Notice how the basics are often the same. How guides often use the same wording. Also notice how some guides are subtly, sometimes not so subtly, guiding you to a certain product line.

After you have read a few of those you can just scan past the standard bits and focus on sections that give you new or different information. You also notice how some some guides barely scratch the surface and others go in-depth. Media farms like E-How are notorious for entirely superficial and uninformative guides. They aren't alone. Seemingly well written and informative articles often get entire sections copied and pasted. Which explains why so often the wording is identical. Also sections that are simply wrong can proliferate. The same wrong information repeated doesn't make it right.

After a bit you can pretty much accurately gauge reliable sources from unreliable ones. You should also have a good working knowledge of what coated optics are all about. What a BAK-4 prism is. What is an AR treatment? How magnification ties into field-of-view and usability when hand-held.

The key here is that you get the facts and lay of the binocular market before you accept any opinions. Once you have the basics down you are entering the marketplace armed and informed. You are far less likely to be impresses by brand name or technical specification that aren't necessarily important.

You will also learn that people are pretty easily impressed and while most won't actively lie they tend to select from a narrow field and then develop loyalties based on their very limited experience and, quite often, little more than the opinion of someone else who kind of sounded like they knew what they were talking about.

#222529 - 04/29/11 11:09 PM Re: Decent Binocular Recommendations? [Re: Frisket]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I don't pretend to know much about binoculars, but my experience has been:

While small sized binoculars are nice to carry, don't underestimate the pleasure of a wide-angle lens. When traveling out west the family had along several small ones and one wide-angle binoc ... and everyone was fighting for the wide-angle one. Lesson learned.

On the same trip we bought 7x or 8x (can't remember) binocs for the kids and 10x binocs for the adults - figuring we'd be able to hold them more steady. We couldn't. The shaking got pretty irritating over time. I think the 8x was good enough. If we need higher magnification maybe a telescope on a tripod would be best brought along.

#222536 - 04/30/11 01:56 AM Re: Decent Binocular Recommendations? [Re: Frisket]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Here's a decent pair of binocs in your price range. The size is a nice compromise between the old standard 7x35 and big and heavy 10x50. They are nitrogen purged so they won't fog up. Sportsmans Guide has some other choices too...

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/barska-10x42-mm-waterproof-binoculars-black.aspx?a=733332

#222542 - 04/30/11 05:31 AM Re: Decent Binocular Recommendations? [Re: Frisket]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
No releation excapt a happy customer, but see what SWFA.COM has

(SWFA = See What's Far Away) - basically started as a binocular/hunting scope/spotting scope store

One thing about 'cheap' optics - they usually bug my eyes. My wife wanted 2 cheap pairs (1 compact, one full sized) vs my one good pair. The full sized 'inexpensive' Binos (Name brand - won't mention it because 'it happens') has been out of columnation since we got it - in the mean time, she's always stealing my Nikons
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.