Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#22229 - 12/03/03 04:02 PM Re: road flares: incendiary or electronic?
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
What about using incendiary flares in areas where fires are prohibited (most of the NW this year). The extreme fire hazard has caused some rather unusual interpertations of fire rules.

I carry incendiary flares, but also the triangular reflector "flares" required by truckers. Have used them many times and they seem to be worthwhile. Not as attention grabbing as a fire, but much safer in some areas. I have been told that an incendiary flare is considered an "un-attended fire".

#22230 - 12/03/03 04:45 PM Re: road flares: incendiary or electronic?
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I should have mentioned that, but just forgot.

More hints...ALWAYS start the flare pattern far from whatever is blocking the road, putting the first flare near the outside edge of the lane. Light the first flare, place it, light the second one off of it (hold it out away from your body, or it WILL burn holes in your expensive pants), and WALK BACKWARDS toward the blockage. That way you can keep an eye on approaching traffic. Be ready to run for cover, walking in traffic is DANGEROUS. If you have enough flares, lay them in a very gradual line working from the outside edge of the lane toward the inside edge. You have to give approaching drivers enough time to see, think, react. Most drivers require a minumum of 1.5 seconds to perceive and react to anything new in front of them. At 70 mph a vehicle is covering about 105 feet every second, you do the math. A short flare pattern just doesn't work. Never flare off just part of a lane, do the entire lane. When you remove the little plastic cap, put it on the other end of the flare, that way the flare will not (probably) roll away. When lighting the first flare, hold it and the striker cap out at arms length and strike the cap DOWNWARD against the end of the flare, not the flare against the cap. That will sometimes reduce the amount of sparks that will fly off and burn more holes in your expensive clothes. Don't know why that procedure works better, it just does.

Again, the most important thing to remember is that being on foot on any highway is a very very dangerous environment. You must ALWAYS keep you eye on approaching traffic, and ALWAYS have a place of safety to run to. If you happen to be on a bridge, don't just jump over the guard rail, it might be a long way down...

Re the CHP, yes they can and do replace flares that the public put out. I used to give them at least twice as many as they used, that way next time they can put out more...

#22231 - 12/03/03 05:12 PM Re: road flares: incendiary or electronic?
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
As with most things in life, common sense must prevail. The environmental conditions should always be taken in to account. If the area has been dry and the risk of starting a fire in the surrounding vegetation is high, of course you should be extremely cautious in using any flame-generating device. However, the use of reflective triangles would likely be beneficial only at night, when headlights are turned on, so you might still have to resort to another type of warning device. I can tell you that even the use of multiple strobes on an emergency vehicle is not always enough with many of the drivers out there on the roads now a days.
One experience I had with warning “devices” down in Ecuador: We travailing a paved road, so our speed was moderate (we were in 65’ VW Bug- so the speed was not too fast), suddenly we came upon a huge bonfire off to the side of the road. The driver looked at me and kind of shrugged his shoulders as to indicate he had no clue as to the meaning or purpose of the fire. We learned very quickly that the fire was a warning that the road was missing up ahead, as we plowed into a 3 foot sand hill propelling the VW Bug several feet into the air. As we landed, we looked at each other; half laughing hoping there would be little damage to the VW Bug, as we were miles from anywhere. Fortunately, no major damage occurred and we were on our merry way, just with more caution. Pete

#22232 - 12/03/03 05:34 PM Re: road flares: incendiary or electronic?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Interesting that you mention mexico. Seems that another practice used there is to put a larg-ish stone in the road before the danger. A friend of mine was traveling down there and swerved to avoid hitting the large stone only to come plowing into the overturned truck right around the next bend. Serious injuries followed and a long period of recuperation. All lived tho.

#22233 - 12/09/03 06:18 PM Re: road flares: incendiary or electronic?
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Just saw this on CPF, not too bad on the price. I have no idea if they are any good just thought it might be of interest. Pete

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthre...amp;amp;fpart=1

#22234 - 12/10/03 09:51 PM Re: road flares: incendiary or electronic?
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
All we use in the fire department is incendiary, all the PA State police use are incendiary...
BUT
these things are starting to show up here and there.
http://www.powerwerx.com/product.asp?ProdID=1942&CtgID=1004&PageNo=1

and you can run over them no problem.

BUT
They are battery powered, with all the attendant issues, they are small, and close to the ground, they are directional - NOT what you want on a helicopter LZ for medevac, and, in terms of daylight visibility, they just don't compare.

I have 30-40 flares in my jeep at all times, when we have a traffic control call (wires, tree in the road) I go through dozens of them. Yes, it's expensive, but having seen them side by side, I feel safer with the incindiary types.

#22235 - 12/11/03 01:24 AM Re: road flares: incendiary or electronic?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have always found the PSP to be very accomodating when it comes to replacing flares.
And the usually have the ones with wire legs!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.