The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#221176 - 04/08/11 04:58 PM Re: New stopper knot idea... [Re: Frisket]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
well, not so Indiscriminately as "at people" but I think you found one possible use....

#221184 - 04/08/11 05:52 PM Re: New stopper knot idea... [Re: kevingg]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Kevin ... no question that a Glock 33 would even the score if available :-) Ha! Ha!!

Pete #2

#221401 - 04/12/11 12:48 AM Re: New stopper knot idea... [Re: kevingg]
Basecamp Offline

Loc: PNW
As has been stated, check your laws before you carry it. If anyone traces your carry to this thread, they have the means to show your intent that it was for self-defence... which means you carry it as a weapon. In CA, it would be a felony.

That means as soon as you have it in your hand during an engagement with a person*, you just gave him justification to shoot you. Dead. End of story.

If you hit someone with it, you could be charged with Assault with a Deadly Weapon (CA).

Pretty neat though, huh?

Get real. If you want to use sub rosa devices for self defense, get something that won't get you arrested or shot in the first place.

EDIT: *Unless you are using it in response to a threat of deadly force.

Edited by Basecamp (04/12/11 01:19 AM)

#221421 - 04/12/11 11:25 AM Re: New stopper knot idea... [Re: Basecamp]
kevingg Offline
Addict

I appreciate the concerns, really. If my life or the life of my wife or children is in imminent danger by someone with intent and means, then perhaps I'll use my firearm instead of my keychain so I don't get in trouble with the law. Hows that for getting real?

Edited by kevingg (04/12/11 11:27 AM)

#221436 - 04/12/11 03:41 PM Re: New stopper knot idea... [Re: kevingg]
Basecamp Offline

That's more realistic, but it won't guarantee that you won't get in trouble with the law. Every situation is different, just understand ahead of time that whenever you get involved in a deadly force situation, you will most likely need to justify your actions down the line. If you are able to articulate to the police or a judge your reasoning for your actions, it will benefit you.

I've seen forums where some folks advise to not talk to the police until you get a lawyer if involved in a deadly force situation. It's their choice, I hope they understand that will probably lead to arrest and booking for the most grievous crime apparent at the scene. Then, you can call a lawyer from jail - or a family member who will contact one for you - but that still leaves you with an arrest record for...? ADW... Attempted Murder... Murder?

Understand as best as possible what criminals do, understand how the responses you carry in your "toolbox" are percieved by the legal system in your area and plan and train accordingly.

Any device, whether firearm or slungshot, doesn't guarantee a successful outcome of an incident or freedom from prosecution.
I just don't see how someone can promote a device like this without also presenting it's shortcomings, limitations and legal implications. You may be talking to folks here with little knowledge of what occurs on the street and in the courtroom and giving them false hope.

The right to self-defense comes with responsibilities.

This is just my .02, I'm no expert. This device may be new to a lot of folks and I'm just trying to provide some things for them to process for a more informed decision.

#221437 - 04/12/11 04:06 PM Re: New stopper knot idea... [Re: Basecamp]
kevingg Offline
Addict

I hear you. I'm not marketing any device however. I'm just showing pics of something I came up with that I think is very cool, and took the time to make a video so folks can learn some new knots.

I'm gonna to take out the steel ball now however and replace it with marshmallows. that way if I'm ever lost in the woods, I'll have paracord for shelter and marshmallows for smores.

#221440 - 04/12/11 04:51 PM Re: New stopper knot idea... [Re: kevingg]
Basecamp Offline

Originally Posted By: kevingg

I'm gonna to take out the steel ball now however and replace it with marshmallows. that way if I'm ever lost in the woods, I'll have paracord for shelter and marshmallows for smores.

[thumbsup :D]

#221591 - 04/14/11 11:39 PM Re: Paracord self defense lanyard [Re: kevingg]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Here's the first one I actually made with a decorative stopper after someone suggested I try; its the double matthew walker knot. I like this knot (lower right in photo) and use it to end my firesteel paracord sheath, and to end my alice pack paracord handle; it is solid and just a perfect 'bump in the road' to prevent loss of the loop through the manrope knot. This is also the first I braided spiral rather than diamond on the 4-strand round braid:

#221794 - 04/18/11 03:06 PM Re: Paracord self defense lanyard [Re: kevingg]
kevingg Offline
Addict

above are two just finished next to each other with the double matthew walker stopper knot on the grey one, and the double wall knot on the tan one. I like both stoppers.

#222275 - 04/25/11 04:32 PM Re: Paracord self defense lanyard [Re: kevingg]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Made a series of "modular" monkeys fists. From large to small in red 1.5", 1" and 3/4" steel balls. Lots of people have suggested bolas, so I've been reading up on them and making some balls. Some say three balls with two of equal weight and one lighter. Other styles are just two equal weight balls. I'm thinking I can try different combinations as long as I make two of each.

The black one is a 3/4" ball made entirely with gutted paracord. I did my best to keep the monkey fist "clean" looking, but gutted paracord is not the best for a monkeys fist! The final result is quite smaller than the red 3/4" one made with intact strands.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.