Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#221985 - 04/20/11 03:06 PM Re: Your Most Innovative Survival Kit Item [Re: LesSnyder]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
OD mosquito netting.... camouflage, sunshade, fish net, coarse filter media, bandage material, cut/woven for cordage

Nice Dont Forget melting snow over a cup to collect water. Fill it with snow and hang it over the cup near enough the fire to feel a slight heat but not enough to destroy the netting.

#221986 - 04/20/11 03:12 PM Re: Your Most Innovative Survival Kit Item [Re: Frisket]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I don't understand the concept of "snow" is it an acronym? smile

Edited by LesSnyder (04/20/11 03:13 PM)

#221987 - 04/20/11 03:13 PM Re: Your Most Innovative Survival Kit Item [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Uhhhh no? Was just mentioning somthing i seen on teh ray mears show.

#221990 - 04/20/11 03:23 PM Re: Your Most Innovative Survival Kit Item [Re: Frisket]
TheMountainRn Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: Frisket
Uhhhh ok..?

Weights nothing and takes up no space,
Slingshot,
Pole spear,
Multiple tourniquet's when cut up,
Can be used to apply tension to certain types of traps,
Sealing up the ends of clothing to prevent creepy crawlies from getting up your pant legs and such,

Cant really figure out much more then that but really it is a 5 foot by 6 inch band of elastic Im sure theres plenty other uses. The fact that it can be used to make multiple tourniquets for its size and weight sells me on it alone personally.

Can be use to administer fluids rectally
can help access water in difficult place
can be use when use a solar water distiller

#221991 - 04/20/11 03:23 PM Re: Your Most Innovative Survival Kit Item [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
yes. it's real. but sssshhhhh.... you'll remind Mother Nature that it can still snow here through May.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#221993 - 04/20/11 03:41 PM Re: Your Most Innovative Survival Kit Item [Re: paramedicpete]
TheMountainRn Offline
Stranger

Not to familiar with the laws of the US. But it was my understanding that the only place it is mandatory to treat someone was Quebec. Here I Alberta it's not mandatory, by the law. My own ethics wouldn't allow me not to help. As for the danger of getting sued. Getting sued and loosing are 2 things. If you can prove you acted in the benefits of the other person interest and in the limit of your knowledge. Now there a note on that subject. Health care professional, beside if your a MD, outside work you are at the same level as a first aid person. For example as a flight nurse I can intubate, because I have medical direction to do so. Without my flight suit I can intubate " i have the knowledge" but I doubt I would be protected.

As for the tourniquet debate. What the recommend now is:
direct pressure ( no more use of pressure point) and compressing dressing
if still bleed, you can use hemostatic agent ( ex: quick clot)
if bleed continue you can applied a tourniquet. Leave if your less then 2 hour from facility, there amputation or been on more then 6 hours

If it will take more then 2 hours to get to facility
get ready to applied direct pressure and have a hemostatic product ready.
slowly release tension. if you can't manage the bleeding reapplied. LIfe over limb in that case.

#221994 - 04/20/11 03:42 PM Re: Your Most Innovative Survival Kit Item [Re: Frisket]
TheMountainRn Offline
Stranger

My multi use item would be my water bladder

#221998 - 04/20/11 04:55 PM Re: Your Most Innovative Survival Kit Item [Re: Frisket]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Just a reminder. We are talking about most innovative item, not just multi use. Let's stick to the topic.

#222000 - 04/20/11 04:58 PM Re: Your Most Innovative Survival Kit Item [Re: TheMountainRn]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: TheMountainRn

As for the tourniquet debate. What the recommend now is:
direct pressure ( no more use of pressure point) and compressing dressing
if still bleed, you can use hemostatic agent ( ex: quick clot)
if bleed continue you can applied a tourniquet. Leave if your less then 2 hour from facility, there amputation or been on more then 6 hours

If it will take more then 2 hours to get to facility
get ready to applied direct pressure and have a hemostatic product ready.
slowly release tension. if you can't manage the bleeding reapplied. LIfe over limb in that case.

I was trained that the TK stays on, period, until you reach definitive care. In that class we were also told that they're saving a lot of limbs even after long TK applications.

#222009 - 04/20/11 06:05 PM Re: Your Most Innovative Survival Kit Item [Re: Alex]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Alex
The ScotteVest Tactical System V 5.0 is the most innovative piece of EDC gear I ever had. It's a nesting combination of 2 vests with detachable sleeves, which one can accommodate to any kind of weather (0-100F), and which allow to carry a lot of [survival] items (small and large) concealed in it.

They don't make it anymore, but it's a combination of Revolution and Fleece 5.0, zippering one in another.

I haven't used the tact vest - I use the normal ScotteVest but have been thinking of buying another one. Very nice piece of equipment clothing.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.