Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#221807 - 04/18/11 05:08 PM Re: Tornadoes in North Carolina [Re: gonewiththewind]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Thanks JBMat, I do have the WRAL call and a weather alert app on my iphone, along with the weather channel app with radar coverage. These were right on the money, and we knew what to expect, just not exactly where. I was actually out in the rain keeping a watch when it happened, and of course got the family into the best protection we have. After the tornado was gone, and we had not communications at all is when I really felt the need for the radio. I am not sure if any information was put out, but if it were a more long term disaster, I am sure it would become more important.

#221824 - 04/18/11 07:19 PM Re: Tornadoes in North Carolina [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Do you think an internet weather site, displaying Doppler radar, would have been of any value?

#221828 - 04/18/11 08:46 PM Re: Tornadoes in North Carolina [Re: gonewiththewind]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

That and the apps were great for warning, but all comms were lost when the storm hit. It took a few hours for cell phone service to be restored, quite a few more for power, and about 24 hours for cable and internet. I am thinking more about information after the fact. I am even considering a battery powered TV. However, will anyone be transmitting any information? By radio or TV?

#221861 - 04/19/11 01:00 AM Re: Tornadoes in North Carolina [Re: gonewiththewind]
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio
Glad you made it through it ok.

As for weather radios, I err on the side of having too many. I have five Midland WR-100 models around the house, basement and garage. An inexpensive model that I found on sale for $10.00. They were cheap enough to warrant buying them.

I also have the WR-300 on the desk in my office. A much nicer model.

Both the 100 and 300 have battery back-up and have the configurable alert options.

The one I really like is their XT511 Base Camp model (not just a weather radio). It has Weather, FRS (no FCC license needed)/GMRS (FCC license needed but no test required and call sign is allocated to an entire family), AM/FM; runs off of AC, Alkaline Batteries and has a Hand Crank/Dynamo and rechargeable batteries.

It also comes with a LED light on the side (not the front like some other brands) so you don't blind yourself if you need the light on while adjusting the radio controls.

It even has a USB port for charging small portables such as many android phones, iPhones, etc.

I'm a Ham operator who participates in the Weather Watch / SkyWarn program and have my portable, weatherproof Yaesu HT, which has weather band also. Probably helps explain why I have so many radios I've collected over the years.

While not everyone wants to go the Ham route (and expense), I feel it is prudent to at least have the FRS/GMRS radios (I have portables for my wife and two kids). That at least gives us a short range communication options. Also, GMRS now supports the use of repeaters so there is a chance the range can be effectively extended. Of course, central repeaters are potentially susceptible to outages during extreme conditions, just as a cell tower might be. That said, most Amateur repeater sites need to be prepared to operate during emergencies so most have backup generators and/or battery backups, so short of losing the antenna(s), they are almost always available in bad conditions and there is a team of volunteers generally ready to respond to issues, should they go down. There is some small chance that the same site that hosts an Amateur repeater may host a GMRS repeater also.

FYI, I have no affiliation with Midland. While they certainly aren't the most expensive units around, for me they work well for the price and seem to me to have been designed with a reasonable amount of forethought.
I generally just have them around the house. I’ve taken the XT511 on two camping trips but it has NOT been exposed to any seriously bad weather conditions, so I can't speak to how well it would hold up if exposed to extreme conditions. I don’t believe it is meant to be weatherproof.

Of course, evaluate them for yourself, as YMMV.
So, probably way more than you probably ever wanted to know about this, but thought I would offer it up.

Regards,
Buckeye

Edited for typos.

Edited by buckeye (04/19/11 01:42 AM)

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

#221863 - 04/19/11 01:35 AM Re: Tornadoes in North Carolina [Re: gonewiththewind]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Montanero...I live about 35miles from Tampa/St Pete, and we have a really good Doppler radar net incorporating most of the TV stations in the Tampa Bay area and NOAA at Ruskin... I have a small digital portable TV from Best Buy, and am able to pick up 5 stations using the telescoping antenna...luckily one station has a tower about 6miles and broadcasts weather...try the unit out before you buy, there was a significant difference in price and quality.... I bought it after the 04/05 hurricane season, with intentions to be used with a 12v auto battery and a female cigarette lighter adapter with battery clamps...plan is to run fan and TV off a couple of car batteries... though I do have a 3500w alternator and a small solar capability

as for will the stations be up...we might have had gusts over 125mph but probably only 85 sustained here, nothing like a tornado

Edited by LesSnyder (04/19/11 01:39 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.